hanski

1680 Red (at it again)

hanski

We’ll I’ve been at it again with another 1680 Red Submariner. Watch came to me modestly modded but in need to some serious rework and cleanup. Along with the basic work I took some time to experiment and hone in on some of the small, subtle details: 

- A2813 movement for the slow beat movement of the sweep hand

- Cartel case as a basis for the design - reshaped lugs, recut chamfers, reshaped CG’s, and repolished

- Clark’s crystal

- RT hands, aged in all natural Pacific Ocean salt water then relumed with the dial

- Dial is a stock Cartwl dial that was maybe a bit overzealously painted. Dial was cleaned and then relumed

- WSO bezel assembly eased and repolished

- WSO insert faded and aged to a navy blue/black. Service pip relumed to match dial and hands

- Case countersunk for Athaya crown and tube. Edges eased

- Lugs drilled out for 2mm spring bars, WSO 580 end links installed, and bracelet modified to work with 2mm spring bars

- DWO cooked to a slight yellowish tone

Enjoy! 

hxDnr.jpg

hxZ5I.jpg

hxEfo.jpg

hxpzL.jpg

hxbjK.jpg

hx10e.jpg

hxJ5T.jpg

hxUfA.jpg

hxnbQ.jpg

paccbet

Great job! That is really nice to look at

Theviking

Lovely work @mzinski you have a great deal of talent.

repmaster1234

Nice one Mzinski! Your lume work is second to none. You should consider making your own dials, I’d love to see a gilt build from you!

hanski

Thanks for all the kudos guys. 

6 hours ago, repmaster1234 said:

Nice one Mzinski! Your lume work is second to none. You should consider making your own dials, I’d love to see a gilt build from you!

Thank you! I would really like to get going on a gilt dial. Maybe I’ll just order a blank from RT and make one with your helpful tutorial, even if it doesn’t go into a watch just now. 

If I were to pursue a 6538, what’s a good diameter to work with (should I want to eventually get a easily obtainable case or should someone want it for theirs)?  Like are most of these based on a 26mm dial? 27mm? 29mm? 

Ps. I’ve always wondered, does the lume go directly on the metal of the dial on a gen OR is there a painted lume plot between the metal and the lume??? 

Edited by mzinski
PS added

repmaster1234
22 hours ago, mzinski said:

If I were to pursue a 6538, what’s a good diameter to work with (should I want to eventually get a easily obtainable case or should someone want it for theirs)?  Like are most of these based on a 26mm dial? 27mm? 29mm? 

Ps. I’ve always wondered, does the lume go directly on the metal of the dial on a gen OR is there a painted lume plot between the metal and the lume??? 

The Silix case is 29mm, which is what I believe most people are using at least for budget builds. I put the lume straight on the dial but that’s technically not correct, Rolex printed white ink onto the indices underneath the lume but above the dial pattern. You can see the edges of this white underlying print in certain macro shots. Take a look at the 9 o clock marker on this dial for example: 

rolex-6538-big-crown-james-bond-submarin

Mystery Shopper

Excellent work. I really love the 1680- mine is over 7 years old but looks new out the box compared to your vintaged creation.

SAM-2099.jpg