Sign in to follow this  
ReplicaFromDownunder

breitling SA crown not screwing in - 7750

ReplicaFromDownunder

hi all, my breitling super avenger's crown will not screw in.

However all functions, time change, wind and date work accordingly.

I have opened the caseback, removed the full crown and it appears the threads that go into the 7750 are intact (not worn!)

That might not be the problem as the big end screws into the side of the watch.

any advice or how to's would be appreciated. Josh at perfectclones the dealer said to lube it, i have done so with no result.

picture below:

IMAG0293.jpg

Edited by ReplicaFromDownunder

MikeMcNair

can you show me a pic of the crown OUT of the watch, looking in the "cup" of the crown? (so with the "B" on the table, and the crown stem up in the air, and looking down the stem. if that makes sense)

Distinct

I have the same exact problem come up (or out) right now. I was so excited to find this thread in the search and then so disappointed to see that it was thread killed by Mike.

Anyone else have any experience? I already PMed ReplicaFromDownunder.

Member X

I wonder if they use the same crown assembly as the SOHv2, which is notorious for stripping the threads on the tube...

Do you have the tools/ability to remove the stem and check the threads inside the crown and on the stem tube?

Distinct

I opened up the casing and removed the crown stem. I took some pictures and it appears that the threads on the inside of the crown are gone. The threads inside the stem tube appear to still be there.

Opinions and suggestions welcome.

Can I order a new crown stem?

Pictures (apologies for using iPhone and a magnifying glass to get close)...

photo3ll.jpg

photo2wgm.jpg

Jacked up brightness for better view inside the crown...

photo1ybk.jpg

10:10 Watch Repair

it's common, and it's also rare to find a replacement unless you change it to gen which requires modifying the case.

Distinct

it's common, and it's also rare to find a replacement unless you change it to gen which requires modifying the case.

Damn, I did not know that this was common. I won't be changing it to gen. Are my choices to just live with it or can I do something to make it sit closer to the casing but not screwed down (just appear flush)?

10:10 Watch Repair

Damn, I did not know that this was common. I won't be changing it to gen. Are my choices to just live with it or can I do something to make it sit closer to the casing but not screwed down (just appear flush)?

You can try to remove the crown and stem and file down the tube a bit and see if the crown then catches.

There are replacement tubes available that might make it work, but it's really tough to get the right one without buying an assortment.

Lastly, you could shorten the stem a bit and epoxy the crown so that it's not spring loaded and make it a push - pull.

fatarms

If it's common, that's a pretty crappy occurrence for a watch that costs so much. I get nervous everytime I screwing a crown down and hear that "abnormal" sound, I can't describe it other than just some weird metallic sound that doesn't sound right.

Distinct

You can try to remove the crown and stem and file down the tube a bit and see if the crown then catches.

There are replacement tubes available that might make it work, but it's really tough to get the right one without buying an assortment.

Lastly, you could shorten the stem a bit and epoxy the crown so that it's not spring loaded and make it a push - pull.

Thanks so much for the help!

I think I will just go with the shorter stem route. I just will make sure no swimming with this watch.

Any guidance on how much I shorten the stem?

Luthier

Yes, just one - ask Mary to find you new crown. And don't try anything... not-too-smart, if you have no experience, bro. I know I wouldn't.

Distinct

Yes, just one - ask Mary to find you new crown. And don't try anything... not-too-smart, if you have no experience, bro. I know I wouldn't.

Great idea! I will email her. I should have added it to my last order which is being shipped right now.

jacobarch

just recently bought a SA with the same problem.........I was told Toro could get a replacement for 25$. I already emailed him to see if there's any truth to that. I'll keep you posted.

Distinct

just recently bought a SA with the same problem.........I was told Toro could get a replacement for 25$. I already emailed him to see if there's any truth to that. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you so much! I will definitely buy one as well if they have it.

FrankiePowers

Hi all, any news about this at all, as yep same problem :/

1littlegreen

Shoot an email to Toro or the TD you bought yours from. Should do the trick.

FrankiePowers

Shoot an email to Toro or the TD you bought yours from. Should do the trick.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately it was not bought from a TD, found it while moving, forgot all about it, must have bought it years ago and that would have been in a pub more than likely from a pal who had just got back from thailand, but its a good looking watch, i gave it a little shake and it started moving, i wound it 30 times left it in the box and it ran for just over 2 days.

So thought it was worth getting it fixed, i have only just started to get into the way the reps work and are made, it also needs resizing but i do not have a screwdriver small enough they are much smaller than the ones on my submariner screws and i am starting to wonder if they are real screws tbh, seems like a lot of effort went into the making of this rep so, feel this as strange, but hey i am a total noob, thats why i like this site.

I shall see if i can get a picture up of it ;)

JOEY172

And here i'm too..... another unlucky bastard that has the very same problem. Crown out,wont screw back in.

I bought my watch from a friend of mine(second hand) that he got it from a website,not RWG trusted dealers, wich doesnt exist anymore.

I asked almost all the trusted dealers here on the forum to see if they could get me the parts i needed, in this case crown tube and stem,but eighter they dont have it,

or in some cases dont wanna sell it to me because i didnt buy the watch from them,wich it would make some sense too. But i wanna fix my watch.....its my all time favourite ,

so i just will continue searching for some parts.........worse comes to worse i'll shorten the stem a bit and epoxy the crown so that it's not spring loaded and make it a push - pull ,like

10:10 Watch Repair was saying.

The only problem with this procedure is that the watch will not be waterproof anymore ,and that sucks too.

I hope to find a solution soon,because i wanna wear the watch again.

2valbw5.jpg

JOEY172

Still no news for those replacement parts,...... anybody can help?

Del RFC

Apologies for bumping an old thread, Did anyone ever get a solution to this?

I have exact same watch with almost the same problem. I have about a quarter turn left that is holding just and no more,

I now no longer unscrew the crown, When i want to start the watch I wait till the time it last stopped and give it a shake to kick start it :-)

Anyone any idea about sourcing spare parts. Also interested in the solution in shortening the stem, Is this viable and anyone in the UK capable / willing to do the job?

LOve the watch so open to any ideas.

JOEY172

Ok guys i solved this problem,.....not 100% but i can wear my baby proudly again ;)

I tried to find the spare parts for it,but nowhere to be found. I asked everybody here on the forum,...trusted dealers,repair shops etc.......

So i went to a wachsmith in my area,( wich became my friend right after he fixed my Rolex Daytona a year earlier) and asked him what i could do in order to have the crown back in

place again, and he told me that he would just take off the spring inside the stem so that the opening/closing off the watch wouldnt be anymore "push + screw in" but the

regular "push in and push out" just like a regular swatch watch.

At first i wasnt sure if i really wanted that way, but after seeing that it was the only way in order to wear it again,i had it modified.

I think now is not anymore waterproof, i didnt even try........but hey,i'm not wearing it to swimm.

I gotta tell you, the watch is back in bussiness again,works excellent and i just love it to wear it, without even mention all the compliments i got from people. :)