Steve53

RWG watch arrived. Some photos.

Steve53

The RWG watch arrived today. Hallelujah! I love unpacking a new watch. Shipping took only eight days from Hong Kong to west coast Canada with DHL. Upon opening the box, trusted dealer Mary clearly knows a thing or two about packing watches. The watch head, bracelet and end links were individually wrapped. No chance of scratch marks in transit.

A big Thank You to TD Mary and to Del for coordinating all this. Much appreciated.

019.jpg

Receiving a new watch is always fun. A new toy to play with! Unscrewed the crown, gave the watch a good hand-wind and it started right up. Pulled the crown out to the next stop and set the time. I tried to find an in-between position to set the date, but no such luck.

Me thinking: what, don't tell me I received a faulty watch?  Scratching my balding head, hmm. Turning the watch over, oh look here, on the side at 10 o'clock there is a button. Ah, I see, that is the date advance button . Worked perfectly. Some times I question my own intelligence (or lack there of). :D

Next, un screwed the buttons for the chronometer. Pushed the start button, but no go. Oh, maybe it has a non working chrono? This is my first watch with a chronometer, and I know some watches have a chronometer just as decoration. But a RWG watch with a fake chrono? Not likely. So, if it does not start with a light push, then push harder, right? Ah, that did the trick. The start button has a definite "snap" to it, to get the chronometer started. Having learned that, the chronometer worked perfectly. It can record time up to 12 hours.

At 44 mm diameter, this is a big watch. Pictured here on my 7.5 inch wrist. In this photo the hands are approaching mid-night and the date wheel has started to move.

025.jpg

An absolutely beautiful dial

020.jpg

Designers Luthier and Sol, are you still on this forum?

021.jpg

Numbers 010712.  Serial number or maybe date ?

022.jpg

See through case back. RWG proudly inscribed on the rotor.

024.jpg

# 122 out of three hundred.

023.jpg

The solid end links fits very nice and snug.

026.jpg028.jpg

RWG on the buckle makes it very clear where this watch was designed.

027.jpg

Crown with the RWG logo. As everything else on this watch, the crown is big at 8.5mm diameter. Overall thickness is 15.5 mm.

033.jpg

Date-set button at 10 o'clock.

034.jpg

The movement in all its glory. Every time I look at a watch movement, I have great admiration for the people who makes these tiny parts and in the end, it all works.

029.jpg

The watch is blessed with an easy to use regulator. As a side note,  I like Seiko watches very much. They are good quality at an affordable price. But oh my, the regulator arms in Seiko movements are short. How much would it cost to make the arms couple of millimeters longer?  0.01 cent ?

)030.jpg

Even the small hands have lume on them, which add a bit of class. As can be seen in this photo, the big chronometer second hand has not reset exactly back to zero, 12 o'clock.  Sometimes it does and sometimes it is slightly off. No big deal.

032.jpg

As received the watch was running 14 seconds fast pr. day. After regulating, this is pretty good numbers. It changes a bit, depending on position, staying between plus 7 and minus 3. Good enough for me.

031.jpg

The spelling of  "Chronometre" and  "Certifie"  would indicate a French background of the designers? On the back plate it reads  "Certified".

Taking photos of a watch is harder than I thought.  I cleaned the crystal many, many times, to get rid of dust particles. This final picture is still not perfect, but looks ok.

035.jpg

I am very happy with the watch. Because of it size, it certainly has a presence.

Let me finish this post with one of  greg r.  signature lines:

I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. ~ Kurt Vonnegut

NCRich

Great review.  I have the same watch.  It is a great tribute to our founder.

RussP
9 minutes ago, NCRich said:

+1.

Top write up and close-up photography.

Wriggles

Luth is long gone. Threw his toys out of the pram and left. Before the watch was even finished. It was a car crash saga to be honest but the product did end up really nice in the end. 

Sol is still a mod here but doesn't post much these days. 

Glaude

:thumbsup:

Nice write up and pictures ! Thanks for taking the time, this one deserved it just for the tribute :) 

FoxWilde

Looks like a rep... make sure you didn't get ripped off:hyenas:

Great  pics mate, I'm waiting on mine to arrive

Junior88

Nice write up, and nicely done pictures.  

I just received my black dial RWG watch yesterday. Did DHL ding you the $22 and change as well?

PostMaster
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

+ 1

Great write up with good pictures and yes it does have presence. 

Mystery Shopper

Luthier was a guitar designer who spat the dummy, deleted his pictures and left the forum. It was largely over this watch project- working with Chinese manufacturers on a small batch watch run is stressful. Solkryssare is a mod on this forum and an architect who was involved in designing the watch.

I have the same watch and treasure it.

Steve53
2 hours ago, Junior88 said:

Nice write up, and nicely done pictures.  

I just received my black dial RWG watch yesterday. Did DHL ding you the $22 and change as well?

Junior88

Original poster here. Thank you for the positive comment.  DHL charged $5 in sales tax, plus $11 in processing fee and $5 transaction fee, for a total of $21. Not big money, so I am ok with it. I have imported several watches over the last two years, usually by EMS. Nothing to pay with them. It does takes a long time, a month or so is normal, but us in this replica game, we are used to waiting.

Realism

Just as a side note.

It's a chronograph, not a Chronometer.

The Chronometer statement was just a case signing. True Chronometer needs to get certified by the COSC.

Otherwise, enjoy the watch and ita memories... You could always go back to the old threads to learn about its :popcorn: worthy beginnings

Junior88
9 minutes ago, Steve53 said:

Junior88

Original poster here. Thank you for the positive comment.  DHL charged $5 in sales tax, plus $11 in processing fee and $5 transaction fee, for a total of $21. Not big money, so I am ok with it. I have imported several watches over the last two years, usually by EMS. Nothing to pay with them. It does takes a long time, a month or so is normal, but us in this replica game, we are used to waiting.

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious, as every other method I've used to import watches has not charged me, other than DHL. They're the only ones. 

trailboss99

Nice photos mate, that dial is an absolute stunner isn't it? 

Steve53
On 12/01/2019 at 14:23, Mystery Shopper said:

Luthier was a guitar designer who spat the dummy, deleted his pictures and left the forum. It was largely over this watch project- working with Chinese manufacturers on a small batch watch run is stressful. Solkryssare is a mod on this forum and an architect who was involved in designing the watch.

Thank you, Mystery Shopper, for the information.

Original poster here. I have now spent four hours reading the above thread "RWG watch. PM Luthier to get one", all 63 pages of it  :D.  So the story goes back six whole years. Luthier, if I have understood correctly, spent a whole pile of his own money and 300 people signed up for the watch. Then when the project was almost finished, Luthier got ticked off at the Chinese (and at some forum members) , washed his hands of the whole project and essentially said: Ah, to hell with it.

Did Luthier ever earn some of his money back? Surely the first 300 people, must have been very disappointed not getting the watch. But no forum member lost any money, other than Luthier. When the watch was finally finished, was it offered for sale? 

The watch is beautiful, magnificent.   Very unique watch with its own special history.

020.jpg

Can someone shed some light on these numbers:  010712.   I was hoping to find the answer in the above quoted thread but no such luck.

022.jpg

Realism
2 hours ago, Steve53 said:

Thank you, Mystery Shopper, for the information.

Original poster here. I have now spent four hours reading the above thread "RWG watch. PM Luthier to get one", all 63 pages of it  :D.  So the story goes back six whole years. Luthier, if I have understood correctly, spent a whole pile of his own money and 300 people signed up for the watch. Then when the project was almost finished, Luthier got ticked off at the Chinese (and at some forum members) , washed his hands of the whole project and essentially said: Ah, to hell with it.

Did Luthier ever earn some of his money back? Surely the first 300 people, must have been very disappointed not getting the watch. But no forum member lost any money, other than Luthier. When the watch was finally finished, was it offered for sale? 

The watch is beautiful, magnificent.   Very unique watch with its own special history.

020.jpg

Can someone shed some light on these numbers:  010712.   I was hoping to find the answer in the above quoted thread but no such luck.

022.jpg

Pretty sure that was the date the design was concieved.