Not Quite Dead

Stem Shortening

Not Quite Dead

So a friend told me he had been quoted £30 to get a new battery fitted to an old Raymond Weill quartz he likes. So told him to let me do it and it would cost him a pint, battery included. Job went smoothly enough and when battery was inserted the second hand started up and then promptly started the reversing thing which I know indicates a problem including a flattish battery. The battery used was sealed before use so unlikley to be duff and upon closer inspection some water had got in through the crown position. Stem was rusty and there was staining to the movement. Always amazes me that in a 500 - 800 quid watch the only part that actually makes it a working watch is so small a part of the price. A new eta model quartz as used in the original was £21.54 with free postage. So all done movement out dial off cleaned everywhere and put everything back together. Ticking hand (a personal hate but in this case was good news) however new stem will not go all the way in. Located ok and works the date and hands in the two pull out positions but is still 3 mm short of being fully in. So cleaned all the grime off the old stem changed crown over again and inserted that. Magic all the way in and the ticking continues, hooray for me. Let me just check it still does date and time alteration, no it just comes straight out. So the old stem is too short for the new movement and (I assume) the new stem is too long for this model which is quite small, guessing 38mm.

So to my question, thank you for reading this far, is there a correct technique for shortening the threaded end of the stem and do I do a little and test or can I get an accurate measurement for a given movement and case size?

Thanks and I will keep mouth closed next time.

elp

I don't know the answer to the question, personally I file a little and test, repeat.

HorFan

I usually insert the new stem with the crown and push it fully in, then measure the distance from the bottom of the crown to the case and use this as a guide.

Not Quite Dead

That was my gut feel as there is only a tiny variation and I am convinced i will end up with two stems that do not fully engage.

Glaude

This could eventualy help :

GingerApple
49 minutes ago, Not Quite Dead said:

Thanks and I will keep mouth closed next time.

Not only that, but your friend probably thinks YOU broke it :rofl:

Not Quite Dead

Can see this ending with "What do you mean it didn't use to say Seamaster on the dial"

It is now perfect as long as I do not put it in the case when the hands refuse to turn on the winder but otherwise keeping good time.  May try and persuade him that this is a reverse skeleton watch to be worn caseless as a necklace.

elp

No good deed goes unpunished .... been there, done that. Good luck!

GenTLe

Are you sure you didn't mislodged the keyless?
Try the new one to be sure all works as it should and then file it to get to the right size.