mvonair

Watch seized by customs

mvonair

Dear fellow watch enthusiasts

unfortunately and after several years, a watch was seized by customs (European country)

The letter i received mentions that I should provide a proof of purchase within a month, otherwise the package will be returned to sender

What would be the advice on this matter?

Have you ever asked the TD to send you an invoice, even having a lower price?

or better answer that it was a gift?

many thanks in advance

Rokerite

Bad luck :angry: I think the standard answer is do not reply to the letter, and forward a copy of the letter to your Trusted Dealer if they are one of the ones that will resend you a watch on proof of customs letter and they will do just that. 

Edited by Rokerite

BadApple

Speak / email to the TD you got it from and follow their procedures / instructions

Mr_B

Send a copy of the letter to your TD

fatarms

Rokerite is 100% correct.  Don't reply at all to the customs people, they'll likely just destroy the watch and that will be the end of it.  Send a picture of the customs letter to your TD (or however they would like proof to be sent to them, contact the TD first.)

PostMaster

That is bad luck.. such a shame. But as said above.

All the best 

blueoysterboy
40 minutes ago, fatarms said:

Don't reply at all to the customs people, they'll likely just destroy the watch 

Destroy it?  Haven't you heard the saying that the cops have all the good drugs...

deju

Contact the TD and follow their instructions. 

Interesting they state they will return it, sounds as if it’s a customs procedure wanting to charge Import tax rather than an importation of illicit goods. 

Aren
58 minutes ago, fatarms said:

Rokerite is 100% correct.  Don't reply at all to the customs people, they'll likely just destroy the watch and that will be the end of it.  Send a picture of the customs letter to your TD (or however they would like proof to be sent to them, contact the TD first.)

This !

If you are in Germany or another difficult Country for import, use a reshipper.  Some kindly mems here use to do it for German mems.  

Check with your friends here to see if  someone you trust lives in a less scrutinizing place and see if they will help you by accepting your parcels and sending them to you within the EU.

Just a suggestion.  Unfortunate for this watch and sorry to hear it.

Hope this works out ok for you.

Pob
1 hour ago, mvonair said:

Dear fellow watch enthusiasts

unfortunately and after several years, a watch was seized by customs (European country)

The letter i received mentions that I should provide a proof of purchase within a month, otherwise the package will be returned to sender

What would be the advice on this matter?

Have you ever asked the TD to send you an invoice, even having a lower price?

or better answer that it was a gift?

many thanks in advance

Happened a lot of time to me and that's basically nothing serious. They just want you to pay important taxes. So what I did every time was to send them my invoice or something similar maybe some thing I bought on ebay about the same time and usually they charge me some and let my package go. At least that's how it happens here in Sweden not sure about your country tho. Hope you sort it out. Usually helps to give them a call and ask them what to do that you don't know and it's the first time happening to you. 

mvonair

thanks, everybody for your advice

it is true that I'm not sure how to decipher the letter

I receive clothing or other products from overseas all the time and unfortunately, customs always impose an import tax 

now, in this case, I don't know if providing a "fake" invoice of a low value might be enough or it will trigger a problem

the TD at the moment just proposed the possibility of a lower invoice

Glaude

What country seized it ? Yours or a transit country ?

2 minutes ago, mvonair said:

You could try, worst case is they refuse the invoice by stating it doesn't match the general pricing of the product, or you can wait a bit longer and they'll return the package, but it could be seized on return too ! 
What the TD mentionned on the invoice ?
and what is the brand of the watch seized ?

mvonair

it is seized at the destination country. Greece

the TD hasn't sent the invoice yet.  The letter just came today.

As you mention, I also sense that the price will seem too unrealistic for them, unless the description could be "spare parts" etc.

Alternatively, I was thinking to tell them that it is a gift and I don't have a receipt.  or that I'm not aware of the content.

Glaude

It's unlikely that they'll believe the gift story and then you'll have admitted expecting what's inside the package.
If you have no reason to communicate with them, as you are pretty confident that they'll not believe you (probably right, especially if it's a Rolex, but you didn't mention the watch or I missed it).
You are best not to communicate with them and ask your TD what he's offering in such case.

black263

Which TD?  Some will resend.  Others won't. 

Pob

thanks, everybody for your advice

it is true that I'm not sure how to decipher the letter

I receive clothing or other products from overseas all the time and unfortunately, customs always impose an import tax 

now, in this case, I don't know if providing a "fake" invoice of a low value might be enough or it will trigger a problem

Just a word of advice. They use scanners probably and already know its a watch ;) so don't give them something else. First time it happened to me I called them and payed stupid and they told me it's a watch and they only need to know how much I payed so that they can charge me accordingly. 

mvonair

The watch is a Zenith...perhaps it will not be that alarming as a Rolex i.e.

Anyway, I have sent the letter to the TD which is one of the well respected here in this forum and with whom I have an excellent relationship since 2012...

I don't know yet how we will handle it, but I'm confident there will be a way

Either by providing a low value invoice and pay some import tax or the TD to send me another watch.

Del

The watch is a Zenith...perhaps it will not be that alarming as a Rolex i.e.

Anyway, I have sent the letter to the TD which is one of the well respected here in this forum and with whom I have an excellent relationship since 2012...

I don't know yet how we will handle it, but I'm confident there will be a way

Either by providing a low value invoice and pay some import tax or the TD to send me another watch.

Never send anything to customs, ever. If the TD will not re-ship please contact a Mod for assistance.

Kleen™

I’ve had that happen tome quite a few times over the years. If the TD offers re-shipping I did nothing wrt customs. If not, then I just paid the (rather modest)  customs fee and got my watch within a few days....nothing more dramatic ever came out of it.

Bigdogsallers

Yeah hopefully you can resolve it with the TD... let us know how it goes!

Nikosaldente
15 hours ago, Pob said:

Just a word of advice. They use scanners probably and already know its a watch ;) so don't give them something else. First time it happened to me I called them and payed stupid and they told me it's a watch and they only need to know how much I payed so that they can charge me accordingly. 

In Greece they don't only use scanners,  they just open the package :bugeyes:

O.P. :The past few years Greek Post Office has created a division like the Customs in order to "fish" parcels coming outside the EU that contain jewelry and electronics.....

Which shipping method did you choose? EMS usually raises red flags...

I think it's best to choose registered airmail.... It's longer but safer...

It's best to contact the TD and do as he suggests...

If that fails, contact a Mod here...

Good Luck ;)

mvonair

Hi Niko, thnx for the advice. I did not know that about ELTA (Greek post office)

i used to live in Spain and had no problem there and this is my first order to be shipped to Greece

It was EMS, not airmail

The TD initially suggested an invoice but has not replied yet to me if he will prepare one or resend the watch

I will wait a few more days and if i dont have any reply i will contact a Mod

thnx everyone