awscreo

Replacement movement for Rolex Oyster Perpetual Milgauss replica

awscreo

Hi all!

Wanted to see if anyone can help me locate a movement I can buy for this watch. I got it as a gift few years back and didn't really pay attention to it (it was in the drawer for at least 3 years), I think movement got screwed up in that time - it now is not running smooth at all, stutters, and if I shake the watch a bit it stops for a second, sometimes it even skips like 3-4 seconds. I wasn't into watches back then, but recently I'm starting to get into this new hobby to me, and decided to maybe try to fix this watch as it looks like a pretty good quality replica (I think it has a Sapphire at least, it didn't get scratched at all in all those years in a drawer full of junk), would be a shame to just toss it away (plus it was a gift).

So I was wondering, what movement I can buy (inexpensive one if possible) to replace the one I have inside mine now? Is there a standard one that goes in this case? I don't have a tool to open the back on this one (my other watches all have standard screw down backs) so at the moment I can't post a photo of the movement. 

Hope someone can point me in the right direction 

Thanks!881e87eae62f53dba1082550601c33b7.jpg28348d542695cba93460d4c5212dc086.jpg

CurioLeo

Mate , no one can answer that question without more details. You really should take the caseback off at least but more info on how and where you got it is necessary to hazard a guess.

awscreo
Mate , no one can answer that question without more details. You really should take the caseback off at least but more info on how and where you got it is necessary to hazard a guess.
Ok, makes sense. As for when and where - I used to live in China, and this watch was a gift from a friend that went to Guangzhou on a biz trip, he said they had a huge watch market there and he got it for me. I doubt it's very expensive, but I quite like the quality so I was curious if I can fix it. I'll order the case back opening wrench from aliexpress I guess.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

CurioLeo
Just now, awscreo said:

Ok, makes sense. As for when and where - I used to live in China, and this watch was a gift from a friend that went to Guangzhou on a biz trip, he said they had a huge watch market there and he got it for me. I doubt it's very expensive, but I quite like the quality so I was curious if I can fix it. I'll order the case back opening wrench from aliexpress I guess.

You can probably open it with a squishy ball or a ball of masking tape . Don't really need a tool. If it was bought directly at the markets,  it could literally be anything but most likely not a top end item. Depending on how much you want to spend, approximately $380 would buy you a current high end replica as a benchmark.

awscreo
You can probably open it with a squishy ball or a ball of masking tape . Don't really need a tool. If it was bought directly at the markets,  it could literally be anything but most likely not a top end item. Depending on how much you want to spend, approximately $380 would buy you a current high end replica as a benchmark.
Ok, I'll try with the ball, thank you!

He did buy directly at the market, but definitely not for not that much. Regardless, if I can fix this watch for under a reasonable amount of money I'd be pretty happy, visually it looks great to me, polish looks good, glass is probably Sapphire, even bracelet seems fairly good with solid end links.

fatarms

The fact that it's stuttering and even jumping after sitting for three years sounds like it may need to be cleaned and oiled.  However, if it was purchased for a small amount of money, chances are it's an A2813 movement in there which only costs about $25 to replace.  No way to tell without removing the case back though.

awscreo
The fact that it's stuttering and even jumping after sitting for three years sounds like it may need to be cleaned and oiled.  However, if it was purchased for a small amount of money, chances are it's an A2813 movement in there which only costs about $25 to replace.  No way to tell without removing the case back though.

I ordered the ball thingy, hope I'll manage to open it up. Curious, if it is in fact a2813, is it possible to upgrade it to a better one? I read that 2836 is a good high-beat movement. Costs around $70 on ebay I think.

fatarms
2 minutes ago, awscreo said:

I ordered the ball thingy, hope I'll manage to open it up. Curious, if it is in fact a2813, is it possible to upgrade it to a better movement? I read that 2836 is a better high-beat movement. Costs around $70 on ebay I think.

Usually, duct tape rolled up into a ball with the sticky side out is enough to open these cases.  Might want to try that as well.  As for upgrading the movement, it would need a new movement holder and new hands as well.  The hands (where they connect to the pinions in the center) are different from a 2813 and a 2836.  Also, I believe the dial feet (little rods extending from the bottom of the dial to attach to the movement) are in a different place as well.

awscreo
Usually, duct tape rolled up into a ball with the sticky side out is enough to open these cases.  Might want to try that as well.  As for upgrading the movement, it would need a new movement holder and new hands as well.  The hands (where they connect to the pinions in the center) are different from a 2813 and a 2836.
I see. I guess it's kind of difficult to source those parts?

fatarms
3 minutes ago, awscreo said:

I see. I guess it's kind of difficult to source those parts?

Not really, but the dial feet are a problem.  You would have to clip them off, then use a dremel type tool to get rid of the foot completely so that the dial is flush, then epoxy new dial feet into place.  Add in new hands (not sure where to source Milgauss hands), not to mention the lume may not match...  You might be better off hitting up one of the TD's for a 2836 model.

awscreo
Not really, but the dial feet are a problem.  You would have to clip them off, then use a dremel type tool to get rid of the foot completely so that the dial is flush, then epoxy new dial feet into place.  Add in new hands (not sure where to source Milgauss hands), not to mention the lume may not match...  You might be better off hitting up one of the TD's for a 2836 model.

Ok, thank you so much for all the info! Really appreciate it.

TD is a seller from this forum?

Edit: just figured out you meant Trusted Dealers :) you think there's a possibility to get a new movement/dial/hands from them?

Rx4Time

The genuine milgauss uses a Rolex Calibre 3132, so any milgauss hands you find for a 2836 or 2813 movement are for replicas.  The only upgrade path worth considering if you do in fact have a 2813 movement in there, is consider installing a myiota 8015.  Personally I would just get a nice seagull 2813 (st16) and enjoy it as is.  In general the 2813 movement is a solid movement that can run for many years. 

awscreo
The genuine milgauss uses a Rolex Calibre 3132, so any milgauss hands you find for a 2836 or 2813 movement are for replicas.  The only upgrade path worth considering if you do in fact have a 2813 movement in there, is consider installing a myiota 8015.  Personally I would just get a nice seagull 2813 (st16) and enjoy it as is.  In general the 2813 movement is a solid movement that can run for many years. 
So you don't think upgrading to high beat 2824/2836 is worth the hassle?

Is the miyota the same as the 2813 in terms of dimensions, or would I need a new retainer ring, hands and dial for it as well?

awscreo
I have 0 results for miyota 8015. Did you mean Miyota 8215?

In general, what is the difference between the miyota and a good seagull movement? QC?

NCRich
9 hours ago, fatarms said:

Where can you buy a 2813 for $25?  I would like a bunch.  I mean good quality, and shipped.  :lol:

awscreo
Where can you buy a 2813 for $25?  I would like a bunch.  I mean good quality, and shipped. 

I just searched on ebay. I don't know if those are good quality or not. But plenty of options under $25

NCRich

I just searched on ebay. I don't know if those are good quality or not. But plenty of options under $25

Yep, then buy one of those and come back and tell me how it was.................

Cuz I can tell you how it will be.............I'm not new to the game.

awscreo
Yep, then buy one of those and come back and tell me how it was.................
Cuz I can tell you how it will be.............I'm not new to the game.
Where would you buy a movement?

NCRich
Just now, awscreo said:

Where would you buy a movement?

Where are you?

Oh and if you don't have skill and tools.  I would just write this off and sell it for parts.  Buy a new one.

NCRich

EU, then CousinsUK.  US, then Allwatchparts.

awscreo
Where are you?
Oh and if you don't have skill and tools.  I would just write this off and sell it for parts.  Buy a new one.
I'm in US. Can I not buy the movement and give it to a watchmaker to do it for me?

EU, then CousinsUK.  US, then Allwatchparts.

Mm, 8215 is actually cheaper than eBay on allwatchparts. 2813 is fairly similar price wise.

blueoysterboy
9 hours ago, fatarms said:

Fatarms is right, you can get a descent Milgauss rep from DHGate for less than $50

https://www.dhgate.com/product/2018-aaa-men-s-luxury-car-watch-lightning/438566556.html#cart_view-2-null

awscreo
Fatarms is right, you can get a descent Milgauss rep from DHGate for less than $50
https://www.dhgate.com/product/2018-aaa-men-s-luxury-car-watch-lightning/438566556.html#cart_view-2-null

I think my case is better (from their pictures). I have a signed crown and bracelet, finish looks nicer. And I'm pretty sure I have Sapphire glass (not a single scratch in it despite being in a junk drawer for over 3 years, if not longer).

blueoysterboy

I think my case is better (from their pictures). I have a signed crown and bracelet, finish looks nicer. And I'm pretty sure I have Sapphire glass (not a single scratch in it despite being in a junk drawer for over 3 years, if not longer).

Yeah, but the one from DHGate is likely to run, making it a better watch than yours.