blueoysterboy

Seiko SKX007

blueoysterboy

I’m looking into a new Black dial/bezel diver and I really want it to be reasonably waterproof so I’m leaning toward a gen.  The Seiko SKX007 is of great interest but one thing bugs me, this mechanism (7S26) is non-hacking and non-handwinding.  I really don’t give a rat’s ass about the hacking, but I handwind all my watches (I do not have a winding box) when I first put them on in the morning.  For those who own one of these, just wondering if you ever have an issue with this movement failing to obtain a reasonable power reserve?

Second question:  These come with aluminum bezel inserts, but I want a ceramic bezel on this (I have modded every gen I have so at least I am consistent).  I saw that there are after market ceramic bezels for these.  That’s a pretty common mod on this, right?

Thommo82

I’ve owned three Seiko’s with the 7S26 movement and have had no issues with any,  even my SKX was 20 years old. No problems.

So instead of winding it you just shake it for a little bit before wearing, same difference in my book. 

Steve53

It bugs me too, no hand winding nor hacking on my SKX 007. It is a good watch, but it is lacking those two features.

I am considering having the movement changed to NH36A. Available on e-bay for around 40 to 45 US$ plus shipping.

If that is of interest to you, go to "You Tube" and put "skx 007 new movement" in the search box. It does not look too complicated. A good watch smith should certainly be able to do it, no problem.

Piccolo

Gentle shake and off you go. Power reserve is pretty good anyway, lots and lots of mod options - Dagaz and Yobokies are both worth a look at. 

judas9r

Prob my fav watch. Black bez on SS jubilee bracelet or black rubber z. Never had any issue with either of mine. Winding/setting day and date etc is just the penance we pay for being collectors. Personally I love having that interaction with my watch. Even though they can feel a little cheap and rattley sometimes (strap) I cant recomend skx007 highly enough.

HpWQy.jpg

Ferax

Just like the others said. One of the best watches I own. Absolutely love it. No problems with power reserve at all. You can't go wrong with the SKX! It's an must have for diver watch lovers! 

leebob

I have recently become interested in the seiko divers and have been tinkering with a few.

First thing I'd say it the stock skx 007/009 is a knock out watch at a knockdown price. Put it on a gen seiko oyster bracelet and you are in.

But. If you want something that feels more luxury, there is only one course of action.

Nh36. Done crystal, Ceramic bezel insert, and solid bracelet.

The only problem then is.

This leads to,  new chapter ring, dial, hands, replacement bezel. And even crown.

And before you do this. Remember., it is not at easy as it looks 

Hb1Rh.md.jpg

Waspy
9 hours ago, blueoysterboy said:

I’m looking into a new Black dial/bezel diver and I really want it to be reasonably waterproof so I’m leaning toward a gen.  The Seiko SKX007 is of great interest but one thing bugs me, this mechanism (7S26) is non-hacking and non-handwinding.  I really don’t give a rat’s ass about the hacking, but I handwind all my watches (I do not have a winding box) when I first put them on in the morning.  For those who own one of these, just wondering if you ever have an issue with this movement failing to obtain a reasonable power reserve?

Second question:  These come with aluminum bezel inserts, but I want a ceramic bezel on this (I have modded every gen I have so at least I am consistent).  I saw that there are after market ceramic bezels for these.  That’s a pretty common mod on this, right?

1. As has been said, you can upgrade to the superior NH36 movement. This guy is an expert, he will even do it for you if you want to send it to Singapore. He charges $60 for labour, $70 for the movement and $30 for the modified crown/stem.

Supercharge Your SKX007

2. The 7s26 power reserve is good, never a problem.

3. plenty of ceramic bezel mods out there, this is a very popular watch for modding.

I just attempted a mod on my own SKX007 the other day (red aluminium) pretty straightforward. This watch has the wrong bracelet fitted and I am going to get a solid replacement from Strapcode.

Strapcode

HbJrD.png

lamb333

The SKX 007 is a great watch, I had one with the Omega PO mod and it was amazing I wish I had not sold it to a friend.