_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: Patek 5296 Calatrava (and it’s siblings)

_DC_

I am now the proud owner of a trio of Patek Calatravas, so of course my first thought was to take a few family photos and compare these beautiful siblings.

0-B650972-3-D08-4-A4-A-8-A5-A-8-EC9842-A

From left to right they are the 5107, 5227 and 5296.

There are many similarities between these watches face on, all are three handers (all dauphine hands for that matter) and all have the date at 3 o’clock in a framed aperture and a case size of around 38mm (the gens are 37mm, 39mm and 38mm respectively).

82869-FC3-B72-F-449-E-B4-B4-F2-B1-F5-AFA

And yet, viewed in profile, these appear to be very different watches. The pointed lugs, angular bezel and distinctive crown guards of the 5107, then the sculpted lugs and concave bezel of the 5227, and perhaps most distinct of all at this angle (despite being very similar to the 5107 face on) the boxy straight sided case and rounded lugs of the 5296.

71-E9-EA1-D-163-B-4457-86-FD-14671581-AA

I acquired the 5107 (twice) back in 2014, and must confess it doesn’t get much wrist time, but that’s probably for the best since it’s ultra rare and if I broke it I would be gutted. Also that angular bezel is a scratch magnet (as I suspect the one on the 5296 will be).

50134-E73-2-B77-4777-8-A86-5679-A670-C14

The other reason it doesn’t get worn is that in 2015 I was bought the 5227 for my wedding, and have worn it every day for work since (the dreadful state of the strap on it is the reason I decided to go strapless for this post). I still believe it is one of the greatest Patek reps, and possibly greatest reps full stop, ever made! The fact that it is the same thickness as the 5107 but includes a fully functional correctly engineered officers caseback was just a revaluation at the time and still is today!!

So what about the new kid, the 5296? ZF have done a phenomenal job on this rep. It is absolutely beautiful in the flesh.

7-EBE3721-8-A6-A-4-C2-B-BBA8-A3417596-F6

I chose rose gold for fairly obvious reasons, got two white metal ones already so fancied a change. The rose gold is a warm pink, not as yellow as Patek’s own rose gold colour but that’s to be expected!

The dial is stunning, considering it’s a “simple” dress watch. It’s by far the most dynamic of the three watch, the 5227 is just white, the 5107 is a metallic silver, but the 5296 dial is mercurial, sometimes white, sometimes silver, sometimes creamy yellow. It’s fantastic!

It’s hard to tell in these pictures as I used a flash luminosity layer when editing the pictures to ensure I got the “true” colour without all the yellow of the lights in my kitchen, but you can see in the wrist shots later on a creamier tone to the dial.

9-C79-D10-D-23-FF-4-C1-A-B45-E-BBDD56-AF

What is most impressive though, particularly for someone who has spent the last six years coming to terms with the compromises of Patek rep ownership, is the fact that the sizes are all spot on!

Yes you heard right, ALL of the sizes!! 38mm case, same as gen, 46mm lug to lug, same as gen, 21mm between the lugs, same as gen, and perhaps for the first time ever on a Patek rep, 8.4mm thick... SAME AS GEN!!!

82081588-B58-E-4-F61-BC20-AC592241-E1-C7

This fact means I am free to enjoy the movement decoration. Those who have read my whinging posts about decorated movements in the past will know I’m not a fan, for the simple reason that I don’t believe a decorated movement is justification for making a rep several millimetres thicker than it should be. No such issue here though, so I’m allowed to love the decorated movement in this watch... without retribution!

A2441644-12-A4-409-E-B869-8-AF4-D7992290

It’s a miyota, so a little noisy, but unlike a lot of these decorated movement where you can see a miyota hiding deep within decorated plates this is somehow not that, I can’t even figure out how it’s done, the balance bridge which on a normal miyota extends from the right side of the movement instead extends from the left... I don’t get it, but I like it!

541-C725-C-8-B4-C-4728-AFFD-216-B8-A02-B

On the wrist it actually wears larger than both the other watches despite being an almost identical case size. It looks and feels more like a 40mm than 38mm, I think because the lugs extend quite far from the case, and are straight out rather than turned down like the others, but for the modern wrist this is rather appropriate and will likely appeal to most collectors.

A9410-B0-D-9-D5-D-4-D04-80-EA-CF5-B50414

It’s flatness is very satisfying, it slips under even a fairly tight cuff, and it’s as understated as you could wish for. In many ways it’s the perfect Patek, and the rep is very hard to fault so far.

As always I’m keen to hear your thoughts, particularly if you’ve bought one yourself, but for those on the fence I’d say buy with confidence, you’re getting a superb piece of sophisticated wrist candy!!

DC

NCRich

Nice mate.  Great watches.

Glaude

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "clap gif"

Very nice review for a very nice piece ! 

The movement is indeed impresive as they managed to thin it down AND modify it to look like the gen and be thick like gen ! 

That 5227 is also splendid !

RussP

My go-to dress watch.

Nicely done, Dave.

_DC_
Just now, Glaude said:

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "clap gif"

Very nice review for a very nice piece ! 

The movement is indeed impresive as they managed to thin it down AND modify it to look like the gen and be thick like gen ! 

That 5227 is also splendid !

Cheers mate, not as in depth as one of yours but I don’t get the time these days!!

DC

KarmaToBurn

Fantastic write up and photos. Now I want one of each!

Mendes458

Brilliant write up.

Was looking at this but went for the 5227 with the decorated movement and I have not been disappointed.

Non the less a beautiful watch and a fantastic write up. 

Moondustesp

All of them are beautiful enjoy :notworthy:

Glaude
2 hours ago, _DC_ said:

Cheers mate, not as in depth as one of yours but I don’t get the time these days!!

I like your reviews as much as I like the one from @semperfi55 ! Would be tiring (for the eyes especially ! :D ) if all the reviews were like mine ! 

But I would very much like to see another crazy project like your Daytona :Whistle: :D 

964boy

Very nice collection sir

gabro

Excellent write up.I it's so unfortunate that I only found out about the ZF a week before china big holiday. Can't wait for TD to be back to get one. RG looks so sexy but won't go that good with any thing I wear. But sexyyy

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

JesseJames

Question for the OP. If you didn’t already have the SS reps - would you have gone for the SS 5296?  I really like the SS - but also want to wear it with a brown croc strap. 

The brown looks great with rose gold - but I don’t normally wear gold. 

_DC_

If I didn’t already have steel Calatravas I would definitely have gone for the steel 5296, it’s just so much more versatile and easier to dress down as well as dress up. In fact because I just never found myself wearing it I have since sold the 5296!!

DC

Recklays

Amazing timepiece, what would you say are the main flaws ?

_DC_
On 20/05/2019 at 23:41, Recklays said:

Amazing timepiece, what would you say are the main flaws ?

Rotor noise... seriously that’s the only one I can think of. Other than that is near perfect!

DC

wguugw

Thank you for your Patek reviews. As a new guy perusing this site, I really appreciate your candid assessments of these beautiful watches.

Intresting

Kindly share which factory and/or TD you got this from?  Thank you.

arizonascott

Beautiful watches. Its on my list!

Yard

Very nice, thank you for sharing.

Are these all ZF?

chelonia
On 19/01/2019 at 20:10, _DC_ said:

I am now the proud owner of a trio of Patek Calatravas, so of course my first thought was to take a few family photos and compare these beautiful siblings.

0-B650972-3-D08-4-A4-A-8-A5-A-8-EC9842-A

From left to right they are the 5107, 5227 and 5296.

Isn´t the one on the left the 5127?

_DC_
On 20/07/2020 at 10:20, chelonia said:

Isn´t the one on the left the 5127?

No, 5127 has more rounded bezel, this is 5107 with flat slopes bezel!

DC

zarathustra90

A really excellent review! Many thanks for the vivid photographs and the apt description. This is very helpful for the purchase decision. Now that you have owned the 5296 for a few years, can you tell us how it has done? I would also be interested to know whether the gold on the case was durable or whether any material discolouration occurred. best regards