Sign in to follow this  
Piloten

Battle of the useless functions...

Piloten

Read a column on another forum about regatta watches, Yachtmaster2 vs. Pam526, with an opinion request.

I might be biased, because the 526 is the only gen pam I would own. So, if you were old Croseus come back, what would adorn your wrist for style AND for function? (the start line countdown timer).

The Rollie: looks: white dial, various metals available in the case/band. HUGE "YACHTMASTER 2" along the bottom of the bezel. The bracelet is awesome, only part of the watch I like. Price, about $25K and up. Operation: turn the bezel 90deg left, depress the chrono reset button, unscrew the crown, set the countdown timer, screw the crown back in, turn the bezel back to 12, chrono and countdown start /reset together with the chrono buttons. Dance widdershins with your tongue gripped firmly between your teeth at a 52 deg angle right and a 17.4 deg angle down. countdown timer is a big red arrow.

The pam: price: about $12K. Looks: dark dial, titanium case, rubber, leather strap.

Operation: push lower chrono button to set timer, start with upper chrono button. Countdown timer is contrasting second chrono hand.

So, hands down for me, the pam.

Thoughts? one to the other? useless functions? wear a casio with a digital timer?

ShovelnTC

Yeah I think when it comes to precision functions then a modern electronic watch wins hands down but maybe not so much style where they are concerned so we end up back where we all are and that is that mechanical watches are for watch enthusiasts not sailors.

FoxWilde

At work a guy brought in several Casios to get new battery/set the time. Me and the manager spent almost an hour trying to figure it out. We set the world time, Chrono, alarm.........

LOL

trailboss99

Not useless at all if you race a yacht. A start timer is a must, the manoeuvring that goes on before the start needs to be be timed to the second to ensure you are just shy of the line when the gun goes off. 

onionbag

I raced a yacht once.

A narrow victory.

To be fair I was driving an 85 plate Fiesta.