hanski

An incredible and rare “Ghost” 1680 red submariner

hanski

Arisen from the depths of my watch bin, an incredible and rare ghost 1680 red dial submariner - catch a glimpse before it vanishes. 

No papers, no history, nothing - provenience unknown. Much like the name, it’s like a apparition appearing out of nowhere. But the work was real: 

- Fully reshaped case including lugs, chamfers, spring bar holes, and CG’s

- Case repolished and rebrushed

- Aged and repolished bezel

- Ghosted Insert, backside maintained as black

- Relumed Dial and hand set to match with thin, lightly pillowed lume plots

- Hands aged in an organic blend of apple cider vinegar and fresh pacific seawater

- Reassembled with freshly lubed gaskets, all parts compression fitted

XGsyD.jpg

XG2HU.jpg

XGPe8.jpg

XGwB3.jpg

XG8Nb.jpg

XGiy2.jpg

XGSHd.jpg

XGhkZ.jpg

XGjDR.jpg

XGHNg.jpg

XGXya.jpg

Jibuti

Robtherib

Sent PM with intent........

gabro

Would you kindly explain more how aging hands usibg "organic blend of apple cider vinegar and fresh pacific seawater" works? Please

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

hanski
2 hours ago, gabro said:

Would you kindly explain more how aging hands usibg "organic blend of apple cider vinegar and fresh pacific seawater" works? Please

Of course. 

Step 1: Remove lume from the hands. For this I use a sharp xacto and carefully scrap off from the back. 

Step 2: I stabilize the hands in a thin, flat pad of rodico, right side up. I use 1500 grit wet-dry sandpaper to buff and rough up the surface of the hands. Buff in short, multi direction movements - this avoids a directional finish. 

Step 3: Mix a 2:1 ratio of seawater with Apple cider vinegar (we buy mostly organic stuff so this the organic). Using tap water with lots of salt works too. Use hot or boiling water to assist in dissolving the salt in to the water. 

Step 4: Dunk hands in to mixture over night

Step 5: Remove hands, repeated buffing/roughing but a little gentler this time. 

Step 6: Dunk and remove hands again. Let hands air dry. I don’t get rid of or dry off the fluid that comes with them. I left that evaporate. 

Step 7: Relume hands to match dial

onionbag

Is this  a sale or are you showing yer arse?

Glaude
15 minutes ago, onionbag said:

Is this  a sale or are you showing yer arse?

onionbag
3 minutes ago, Glaude said:

So, this thread is not a sale thread?

Then he/she's not allowed to solicit offers.

Edited by onionbag

Glaude
Just now, onionbag said:

Nope, I believe it was to share nice picture of the build with us :) 

hanski
4 minutes ago, onionbag said:

Then he/she's not allowed to solicit offers.

Hi, no, I like to share my builds and projects. Posted this to show what I did, didn’t intend to sell it straight away - didn’t solicit offers nor did I post in the sales section. Got a PM about it asking if I’d sell it. Instead of any kind of back door sale, I opted to post publically a reserved sale. 

If you look at my history I’ve clearly separated builds and projects from anything I sell. 

onionbag
9 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Nope, I believe it was to share nice picture of the build with us :) 

Ok mate. 

You can take the hit when the buyer complains.

I'm happy with that.

:)

onionbag
4 minutes ago, mzinski said:

Hi, no, I like to share my builds and projects. Posted this to show what I did, didn’t intend to sell it straight away - didn’t solicit offers nor did I post in the sales section. Got a PM about it asking if I’d sell it. Instead of any kind of back door sale, I opted to post publically a reserved sale. 

If you look at my history I’ve clearly separated builds and projects from anything I sell. 

I don't give a flying fuck about your history.

No offence meant mate.  :)

Glaude
3 minutes ago, onionbag said:

You can take the hit when the buyer complains

Proper sale post, nothing done wrong, no complains to be have on that part

1 minute ago, onionbag said:

Pretty sure the same goes for your opinion about it ;) 

No offence of course ;) 

hanski
1 minute ago, onionbag said:

Neat. 

Can we back up and clear things up? 

My post did not solicit anything. I posted a funny (I thought it was funny at least) narrative and specs of my build. 

I got a PM inquiring if it was for sale, I responded as: 

“First, I posted the watch in Vintage Watches to show everyone what I've been up to. I like to share my work. 

I was considering selling it but I'd prefer not to go the route of a backdoor sale. I think that is better for everyone - including yourself. ”

I subsequently posted a public, reserved sale for him to respond to. 

Please let me know if there is a better way to respond to solicitations to sell my builds. 

Glaude
1 minute ago, mzinski said:

Neat. 

Can we back up and clear things up? 

My post did not solicit anything. I posted a funny (I thought it was funny at least) narrative and specs of my build. 

I got a PM inquiring if it was for sale, I responded as: 

“First, I posted the watch in Vintage Watches to show everyone what I've been up to. I like to share my work. 

I was considering selling it but I'd prefer not to go the route of a backdoor sale. I think that is better for everyone - including yourself. ”

I subsequently posted a public, reserved sale for him to respond to. 

Please let me know if there is a better way to respond to solicitations to sell my builds. 

To me you acted exactly as expected, it's always best to make a public sale, for both the history of the future re-selling of the watch on the board (so we have a price history & origin) and if anything were to go wrong, we could catch a potential bad buyer or seller.
Reserved sales are often conducted like that

No worries to have ;) 

onionbag

There is a better way. 

You're not allowed to solicit for work here.

Glaude
2 minutes ago, onionbag said:

There is a better way. 

You're not allowed to solicit for work here.

There is not.

He didn't solicit any work, the work was done, he shared it, somebody was interested, he made a sale post. Multiple mods have seen those both threads, nothing was said against.

onionbag
Just now, Glaude said:

To me you acted exactly as expected, it's always best to make a public sale, for both the history of the future re-selling of the watch on the board (so we have a price history & origin) and if anything were to go wrong, we could catch a potential bad buyer or seller.
Reserved sales are often conducted like that

No worries to have ;) 

That's factually incorrect.

The sales rules explicitly say you may not tout for business,

1 minute ago, Glaude said:

There is not.

He didn't solicit any work, the work was done, he shared it, somebody was interested, he made a sale post

That is touting.

Glaude

That's factually incorrect.

The sales rules explicitly say you may not tout for business,

Good thing he didn't then ;) 

And building vintages watches in the intention of selling them has never been against the rules, check them again ;) 

That is touting.

No

onionbag
6 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Good thing he didn't then ;) 

Yes he did.

By making this post outside his sale.

This is not up for discussion...take it to the back room.

As you said..."tech support"...

Edited by onionbag

Glaude
3 minutes ago, onionbag said:

Yes he did.

By making this post outside his sale.

This is not up for discussion...take it to the back room.

No, he didn't, you are free to read how the whole thing was done, again, if you can't understand it, get help.

This is indeed not up for your discussion, as you are not a mod here anymore, leave that matter for those concerned, I'm personnaly not in charge of that matter, so this end my contribution to this topic ;) 

Luxuracer

My 'non ghost' 1680 Red ... says hello. ;)

tfrHL.md.jpg

hanski
41 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

My 'non ghost' 1680 Red ... says hello. ;)

tfrHL.md.jpg

Nice! Do you know the history behind the red hand? I’ve seen them on a handful of builds here and there. 

gabro
Of course. 
Step 1: Remove lume from the hands. For this I use a sharp xacto and carefully scrap off from the back. 
Step 2: I stabilize the hands in a thin, flat pad of rodico, right side up. I use 1500 grit wet-dry sandpaper to buff and rough up the surface of the hands. Buff in short, multi direction movements - this avoids a directional finish. 
Step 3: Mix a 2:1 ratio of seawater with Apple cider vinegar (we buy mostly organic stuff so this the organic). Using tap water with lots of salt works too. Use hot or boiling water to assist in dissolving the salt in to the water. 
Step 4: Dunk hands in to mixture over night
Step 5: Remove hands, repeated buffing/roughing but a little gentler this time. 
Step 6: Dunk and remove hands again. Let hands air dry. I don’t get rid of or dry off the fluid that comes with them. I left that evaporate. 
Step 7: Relume hands to match dial
Thanks mate

fatarms
34 minutes ago, mzinski said:

Nice! Do you know the history behind the red hand? I’ve seen them on a handful of builds here and there. 

I think the red second hand was just something to accentuate the red lettering on the dial.  I sold one a while back with the same intention, just to accentuate the dial.  No gens exist with a red second hand that I know of.

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/136631-both-sold-ice-blue-21j-rolex-daydate-1680-red