Xepa

Rolex Explorer

Xepa

fXdc8Lt.jpg

Hi everyone! First proper post here. I'd like to thank Del for inspiring me to pick up a light box kit. It makes a world of difference to these kinds of photos; I wish I'd gotten one years ago. Was only 17 quid on ebay, highly recommend it! This is my first photo done like this and I'm actually really happy with how this turned out.

This is the JF V2 explorer 214270, one of my favourite reps. Now to drive the missus insane by taking watch photos non stop... 

Glaude

Yeah that @Del post is really usefull for taking good pics :) 

But you may want to crank up your exposure a bit or bing in a bit more light in, other than that, it's a nice pic of a nice watch ! :thumbsup2:

Xepa
27 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Yeah that @Del post is really usefull for taking good pics :) 

But you may want to crank up your exposure a bit or bing in a bit more light in, other than that, it's a nice pic of a nice watch ! :thumbsup2:

Thanks mate! Yeah I'm still getting to grips with all the settings on the camera, but I'll improve over time. Maybe. When chinese new year is over I'm gonna have to order a couple of new watches, cos I sold a few there that never got any wrist time and the box is looking a little sad right now. Ryan told me to email after the 14th, the wait is already driving me mental!

Sergio

Bump up your ISO ..... 

Xepa
23 minutes ago, Sergio said:

Bump up your ISO ..... 

Good call. Didn't even realise I had the ISO at 1600!! No wonder it's grainy. Changed it to 200 for this one.  Definitely still room for improvement but we're getting there...

XnTcWaR.jpg

Sergio

Looking good ...... If you have photoshop or Lightroom, shoot Raw and you will have more control on corrections !!!!

Glaude
5 minutes ago, Xepa said:

Good call. Didn't even realise I had the ISO at 1600!! No wonder it's grainy. Changed it to 200 for this one.  Definitely still room for improvement but we're getting there...

So you lowered the sensibility not bumped it ;) 

ISO is useful when you can't control the light power or when you want to light up the background a bit in controlled light situations.
Here you don't need to touch at the sensibility (400 is also good) but you need to play with the aperture (but will change the depth of field) and the exposure time (but will need a tripod if you don't work with flash).

So the simplest thing to do if you want the exact same shot, but just with more light is ... to add more light power ;)  What's your current lighting setup ?

Sergio

Since they lowered the ISO, either they intensified the light or opened up the aperture for a better exposure .....

Xepa
18 minutes ago, Glaude said:

So you lowered the sensibility not bumped it ;) 

ISO is useful when you can't control the light power or when you want to light up the background a bit in controlled light situations.
Here you don't need to touch at the sensibility (400 is also good) but you need to play with the aperture (but will change the depth of field) and the exposure time (but will need a tripod if you don't work with flash).

So the simplest thing to do if you want the exact same shot, but just with more light is ... to add more light power ;)  What's your current lighting setup ?

The tripod sucks and I lost the one I had when we moved house, so I'll have to get a new one. That's the second one I've lost  now haha. But yeah I've noticed using aperture setting it changes the exposure time depending on situation so sometimes it's a very fast click and other times it takes a second or two. So a tripod and using the timer is gonna be a must. Would an actual macro lens be beneficial in any way for this type of shot do you think? I'd like to get one anyway but just out of interest.

As for lighting it's just what came with the box, two small halogen lamps which I placed on either side and I just played around with different positions. Also draped one of the extra white sheets over the front to eliminate reflections from the front as much as possible. They aren't adjustable brightness or anything and they're bright but I wouldn't say super powerful or anything.  Thanks for the tips mate! 

GingerApple
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

But you may want to crank up your exposure a bit or bing in a bit more light in, other than that, it's a nice pic of a nice watch !

Jesus!

'How to shit on a person's good vibes, the masterclass' by Glaude.

He's at it again @bdnica

Glaude
16 minutes ago, Xepa said:

But yeah I've noticed using aperture setting it changes the exposure time depending on situation so sometimes it's a very fast click and other times it takes a second or two

By that I think you are using the "P" mode of your DSLR or equivalent. Meaning that the camera will try to adjust to get the best "correct" exposition in your picture based on either the aperture or exposure modifications you make.
Meaning : If you increase the aperture number (which close the aperture in reality) you have less light entering the lens so more exposure time is needed to catch enough light, hence why the "click" is longer.
If you decrease the aperture number, you have more light entering the lens, so less exposure = faster click.

Big aperture number = more depth of field, more things in the pics are in focus
Small aperture number = less depth of field, fewer things in focus
Big exposure number (but in fact it a smaller exposure time) (the 1/100 for example) = quicker exposition, less time for the light to be captured = darker image but quicker picture, so less chance of having a blurry image
Small exposure number = longer exposition time, more light entering, lighter shot but you increase the risk of having some blur if your camera is not on a steady tripod

You need to either increase the number of those side lamps or change the bulb for more powerful one if you want to have flexibility in your shots.
Try to play with the "A" mode and the "TV" mode of your camera to see the impact of the different parameters on your final shot :) 

16 minutes ago, Xepa said:

Would an actual macro lens be beneficial in any way for this type of shot do you think?

Macro lense will allow some very nice and interesting shots but you will need more light and your depth of field will decrease

8 minutes ago, Gingerskooch said:

Jesus!

He's at it again @bdnica

:handjob:  ©PBR

Xepa
Just now, Gingerskooch said:

Jesus!

He's at it again @bdnica

I know! I'm only here and the abuse has already begun:woo:

Glaude
1 minute ago, Xepa said:

I know! I'm only here and the abuse has already begun:woo:

Oh and be careful to never put a ginger in front of the lens, it'll crack and grow mushrooms on it in two days, 1 week later those mushrooms will turn into cheese and will start posting on a watch forum with a disturbing orange profile pic... :D 

Xepa
7 minutes ago, Glaude said:

By that I think you are using the "P" mode of your DSLR or equivalent. Meaning that the camera will try to adjust to get the best "correct" exposition in your picture based on either the aperture or exposure modifications you make.
Meaning : If you increase the aperture number (which close the aperture in reality) you have less light entering the lens so more exposure time is needed to catch enough light, hence why the "click" is longer.
If you decrease the aperture number, you have more light entering the lens, so less exposure = faster click.

Big exposure number (but in fact it a smaller exposure time) (the 1/100 for example) = quicker exposition, less time for the light to be captured = darker image but quicker picture, so less chance of having a blurry image
Small exposure number = longer exposition time, more light entering, lighter shot but you increase the risk of having some blur if your camera is not on a steady tripod

You need to either increase the number of those side lamps or change the bulb for more powerful one if you want to have flexibility in your shots.
Try to play with the "A" mode and the "TV" mode of your camera to see the impact of the different parameters on your final shot :) 

Macro lense will allow some very nice and interesting shots but you will need more light and your depth of field will be decrease

:handjob:  ©PBR

Makes sense, thank you for taking the time to explain. I think in my haste I may have had a brain fart and set it to "A" because I was thinking aperture and completely forgot that A is auto LOL. And auto mode sucks. I'll have to get back to it!

GingerApple
10 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Macro lense will allow some very nice and interesting shots but you will need more light and your depth of field will decrease

I'm going to bookmark this post for those nights when insomnia has kicked in and I just can't nod off....

Glaude
1 hour ago, Xepa said:

Makes sense, thank you for taking the time to explain. I think in my haste I may have had a brain fart and set it to "A" because I was thinking aperture and completely forgot that A is auto LOL. And auto mode sucks. I'll have to get back to it!

A is Aperture, auto is generally labelled auto or with some kind of green symbol ;) 

1 hour ago, Gingerskooch said:

I'm going to bookmark this post for those nights when insomnia has kicked in and I just can't nod off....

Stop looking at yourself in the mirror before bed time, you'll sleep in an instant

Del
2 hours ago, Xepa said:

XnTcWaR.jpg

Very good start! :thumbsup2: 

GingerApple
5 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Stop looking at yourself in the mirror before bed time, you'll sleep in an instant

Can't - mirrored ceiling. For the ladies.

bdnica
6 hours ago, Gingerskooch said:

Jesus!

He's at it again @bdnica

You may be right... things are a getting a bit beyond what we can control.  I may have to involve my wife.  She holds him in high regard and may have influence.   Hopefully.  Things get 'messy' if she's not obeyed.

giphy.gif

Think you know what happens after 'that' look...

blueoysterboy

Hey, who sells the best Sub pictures?

Xepa
8 hours ago, Del said:

Very good start! :thumbsup2: 

Thanks mate! I'm having fun with it, thanks for the inspiration :thumbsup:

Jasonbaylee

Bdnica, She is attractive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohana

there ya go....

adjust levels, add a little sharpening and vignetting.

IMG-0817.jpg

Mystery Shopper

Nice pics- thanks for posting.

bdnica
On 04/02/2019 at 13:08, GingerBubba said:

Jesus!

He's at it again @bdnica

On 04/02/2019 at 19:48, bdnica said:

You may be right... things are a getting a bit beyond what we can control.  I may have to involve my wife.  She holds him in high regard and may have influence.   Hopefully.  Things get 'messy' if she's not obeyed.

giphy.gif

Think you know what happens after 'that' look...

10 hours ago, Jasonbaylee said:

Bdnica, She is attractive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's just an actress @GingerBubba and I hired to play my wife.  It's simply meant to represent 'the look' one gets from a Latina when she suddenly goes silent in the middle of a confrontational conversation.  To paraphrase @JohnCocktoastin, the only time they become calm, collected and go silent in confrontational settings is for the few seconds prior to a massive shitstorm being released.   Other examples:

giphy.gif  giphy.gif  giphy.gif

The point being to force behaviour modification upon  @Glaude using the triple threat of angry Cuban, Spanish and Nicaraguan women as 'motivation'.   Something any sane male would avoid at all cost.