Bassguygt

New guy here!

Bassguygt

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and to the rep world. I'm looking to buy my first rep  - looking at the classic submariner with blue bezel and face. Budget is quite small since I'm just getting into the hobby... So I'm trying to decide if I should go for the $39 special sale ROL125 on Silix, or if I should look to buy a used rep from a RWG member in USA. Thoughts? All feedback is appreciated (except 'you really should have a higher budget' - I know,I know...).

Bassguygt

Forgot to put in above post - I have a big appreciation for all the info on this forum. Thanks

FoxWilde

Glad to hear the good attitude mate. 

Be sure to read as much as you can, because honestly, the stuff people do and share on here is amazing. If you got any questions mate I’m here for ya.

Fox

BIG GRUNDY

+1 as fox stated...read as much as you can ..welcome and good luck with the hobby

Bassguygt

Fox, I totally agree, the info here is amazing. I finally made my account tonight after spending many hours reading here over the past two weeks

fatarms

Almost 7 years ago, my first purchase was the Silix blue submariner special.  That was my first foray into this hobby.  I sold it shortly afterwards after reading here and realizing that the watch wasn't "gen looking" enough for me.  In the few years afterwards, I only purchased watches that were within my budget that seemed gen enough to me to make me happy.  I've probably had about 60 watches over the years, never more than 12 at a time, and sold the ones I didn't wear to buy another one.

It was after about 3 or 4 years in when I started to really realize what I liked in terms of design, rather than by name on the dial.  Around that time, I  bought a Noob GMT Rolex and realized that it was my favorite watch in that style.  I held onto it and eventually did what is called a franken on it.  I bought a gen bezel and bezel insert assembly and a gen crystal that I put onto it.  I must've put over $1200 into that build.  I still have it to date and is my favorite rep I own.  The thing is, I realized that I did the modifications to it to please myself, there were things I could not overlook on the rep that screamed fake to my eyes.  I still didn't care what other people thought of it, I liked the design of the rep but there were things that bothered me about it.  This watch taught me a lot about two things; what I like and what I should spend to make that happiness happen.

It was then that I started looking at watches other than replicas that scratched that itch.  I started buying some boutique genuine watches that I liked, they were less than the price of a franken watch and made me happy.  Lately, I've begun to swing to the cheaper genuine watches that don't need any parts to make me happier, and are designs that I like.  Some are homages to other more expensive watches, because I like the design.  I don't care what it says on the dial.  You can see my collection in my signature, and you can see that it's a mixture of replicas and genuine watches that are designs that I like and not dependent upon dial names.

You're new to this hobby, so you'll go through many stages while collecting.  The bottom line is to buy what makes you happy, not what you think will make others happy or envious due to a name on a dial.

FoxWilde

I’ve burned through so many reps, but I’ve learned that my tastes lean towards the more expensive reps out there. They feel on par with my gens, it’s hard to describe. I hope one day you get yourself one of those nice super reps out there. You can feel the difference 

chad.addison
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forums and to the rep world. I'm looking to buy my first rep  - looking at the classic submariner with blue bezel and face. Budget is quite small since I'm just getting into the hobby... So I'm trying to decide if I should go for the $39 special sale ROL125 on Silix, or if I should look to buy a used rep from a RWG member in USA. Thoughts? All feedback is appreciated (except 'you really should have a higher budget' - I know,I know...).
I'd save up a bit and look for a used watch from another member. 39 dollars will get you somthing that will end up in the bin.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mike R
On 09/02/2019 at 22:45, Bassguygt said:

Hi everyone,

With that budget you will have to go to the gate and try your luck. Or

I suggest you go VIP when they have another drawing, that way you get a membership and have a 1 in 20 or 30 chance of winning a decent rep.

Bassguygt

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'll wait and save up a while for something new in the 250-350 range... Seems like I should be able to get a very nice rep at that price from trusty time. I really like his website with the videos. I can really see he puts a great bit of care into his business.