Kyle_d

Scouting gens instore before ordering rep?

Kyle_d

Have you ever gone to a jewellers to try on a gen of the watch you want to buy as a rep to get an idea if you like it on you/ sizing/ straps etc..

cheeky I guess, but good idea IMO lol some watches look a lot different in person 

BadApple

I've used a rep to gain confidence of jewellers to let me try gens. I used a Regmariner once to try on a few gen Tudors making out I was considering a Pelagos. 

Kyle_d

Haha yeah maybe I should wait until I get a decent rep before trying to step foot in a high end jewellers haha. I looked in a high street jewellers yesterday but they only had a couple of top end brands.

BadApple

Lorus and Casio? 

Kyle_d

Lol! 

Tag mostly, a couple of Omegas, seen one nice Breitling and that's about it.

NCRich
8 minutes ago, BADAPPLE said:

I've used a rep to gain confidence of jewellers to let me try gens. I used a Regmariner once to try on a few gen Tudors making out I was considering a Pelagos. 

Pelagos is one of the few watches where I've had the gen and the rep both in hand.  Damn if I could tell which was which.

Pseudorep

When I get the chance I'll try on gens before buying the reps. However, good luck finding stainless steel sport models in stock anywhere.

Generally in my experience AD's do treat you better if you have a nicer watch on, but often when I'm wearing reps I'll take it off and just go in without one (unless it's a rep that passes close scrutiny) and if you get the cold shoulder from the sales assistant you just have to be more assertive. 

Kyle_d

They Cant refuse or treat you any different to any clearly rich person walking in.  How do they know you aren't gonna leave and come back and spend 50k? Frustrates me that.

blueoysterboy

I went to a Breitling AD to see if the 46 mm SOH would fit my wrist before I pulled the trigger on a rep.  It didn’t.  I had my DHGate cheapie AirKing when I went into the store, I have no idea if that had anything to do with them letting me try on the SOH.

BadApple
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

Pelagos is one of the few watches where I've had the gen and the rep both in hand.  Damn if I could tell which was which.

Next on my buy list - I sold a V2 about a year ago - added to regret list.

SadProfessor

I wore my rep Pelagos into an AD. My friend works there and he knows I’m wearing reps.

I’m the same, there was nothing that differentiated the two. Genuinely astonishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wriggles
On 17/02/2019 at 13:25, Kyle_d said:

They Cant refuse or treat you any different to any clearly rich person walking in.  How do they know you aren't gonna leave and come back and spend 50k? Frustrates me that.

They can and they will. Human nature, people make presumptions/assumptions and even subconsciously may treat you differently. Depends on the personality of the person making the presumption. Sales people tend to be the worst for it. Such is life

I'd also say you shouldn't wear a rep into an AD to give you confidence to try on gens.  To be honest why would you need a watch going in at all? Wear none so then you've a better reason to buy than someone wearing something that should be very expensive already! :lol:

If you have to, wear a gen, something nice like a mid range Seiko, and let them know you're looking to take a higher step in value. Rep's in an AD, even super reps, is not something that is respected.

Adit

Yes! I've been to an AD today, in fact. Met a very nice gentleman. Armed with a little Rolex knowledge  (largely thanks to here),  he happily let me try on a SS black dial Sub, YG/SS datejust and a SS black dial Milgauss, all very lovely indeed. 

I still would like a RG/SS GMT, RG/SS Yacht-Master and YG/SS black dial or "Hulk" Sub though really

Edited by Adit

Adit

P.S. I also came away with the latest book catalogue, in a very nice little bag too I mIght add (that'll do to put my next ebay purchase in, to impress the lady :D

deju

What a load of pish wearing reps and nice watches to gain the trust in AD’s. 

I tell you what in my industry, suited and booted means credit cards  and not having liquidity. 

Give me a squady / bricky / labourer any day. Cash buyer.  liquids assets. 

In sales, a suit don’t mean shit, kids buy trainers worth more than most those office suits.

To answer OP. Yes and no. I’ve loved a rep do much I’ve bought the gen.

but...

I’ve loved a rep so much I couldn’t see justification for owning the gen. 

Kyle_d
4 minutes ago, deju said:

What a load of pish wearing reps and nice watches to gain the trust in AD’s. 

I tell you what in my industry, suited and booted means credit cards  and not having liquidity. 

Give me a squady / bricky / labourer any day. Cash buyer.  liquids assets. 

In sales, a suit don’t mean shit, kids buy trainers worth more than most those office suits.

To answer OP. Yes and no. I’ve loved a rep do much I’ve bought the gen.

but...

I’ve loved a rep so much I couldn’t see justification for owning the gen. 

Fair comment.

Im certainly not a suit guy I work on a building site and im one of those people that spends more on trainers than some do on a suit lol.

Main post was about checking out gens in store before buying a rep, have u done that? Or just buy online.

hanski

Lucky I live in Seattle where you cannot tell a millionaire from a homeless person - everyone dresses like a slob. 

But in all seriousness, feel free to go in to an AD anytime you want. Try on any of the watches, ask lots of questions, take as much time as your want. It's their job to assist you and try to sell you something - it is, after all, what they're paid to do. Don't stress about whether you have a watch on or what watch it is. You're not there to show off your watch (unless you are), you're there to check out their watches. 

It's fun trying on white gold or platinum sports model Rollies in the shops - they look so good under the lights. And probably the only time/place I'll ever have one on my wrist. 

Kyle_d

I agree, I havent tried a AD only Goldsmiths which is a general high street jewellers. Dont think id dare ask to try one on id be embarassed lol. 

Good to see some watches in real though rather than a TD photo.

Edited by Kyle_d

SadProfessor
I agree, I havent tried a AD only Goldsmiths which is a general high street jewellers. Dont think id dare ask to try one on id be embarassed lol. 
Good to see some watches in real though rather than a TD photo.

Don’t be embarrassed. They really won’t give a shit. Try on whatever you like.

Only time I’ve ever felt any dealers have been shitty with me is some Rolex dealers. Westfield and lakeside ones have both been snotty. Smaller local ones are much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle_d

That fucks me off. How can they be snotty, nothing id love more than to go in a shop in a pair of trackies with those said snotty staff in an AD and spend 20 grand cash just cos they gave me a snotty look.

Adit

They'd be straight on the phone to HMRC saying that they had a money-launderer in the shop! :D

FoxWilde
3 hours ago, SadProfessor said:

Only time I’ve ever felt any dealers have been shitty with me is some Rolex dealers

Agreed. All the Rolex ADs I've been to have been snobby and skittish. I worked at a Rolex AD store and hated it. But that was  probably because of the coworkers. I love the brand, but some  shite people are usually wearing it. But I wear gens to jewelers, usually my Omega or Rolex. I feel like it gives the impression I know a thing or two about watches but I have a budget. I like trying them on, it's how I learned that Panerai is usually too big for me:sad:

I learned Hublot isn't my style but I didn't need to try one on for that...

Wriggles
4 hours ago, Kyle_d said:

That fucks me off. How can they be snotty, nothing id love more than to go in a shop in a pair of trackies with those said snotty staff in an AD and spend 20 grand cash just cos they gave me a snotty look.

The last thing I'd do is drop 20k in a shop where the staff have been snotty. Why the fuck would you give them a single penny. What point would you be making? Look at me I do have money?  They couldn't give a flying fuck and you'd only be keeping them in a job instead of spending your money where its appreciated. What a fucking stupid idea

RussP
43 minutes ago, Wriggles said:

The last thing I'd do is drop 20k in a shop where the staff have been snotty. Why the fuck would you give them a single penny. What point would you be making? Look at me I do have money?  They couldn't give a flying fuck and you'd only be keeping them in a job instead of spending your money where its appreciated. What a fucking stupid idea

So, what you're saying is that you'd do a 'Pretty Woman' in the circumstances ?

Kyle_d
Chill out fuckin hell.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk