Kyle_d

Scouting gens instore before ordering rep?

narikaa

I recall a time in the UK when one of my longtime customers (a footballer of some note) rang me in a frazzle "can you get can you get a xxxx watch?" (whatever it was is immaterial to the story) .

As fate had it I could, he made haste up the motorways and took it.

Sometime later in conversation, he disclosed that he'd been in one of his jewellery haunts in Manchester and a new sales assistant had been dismissive of him asking about the watch in question.

After leaving me he had meandered his way back there wearing the rep, this time the manager was there and raced to the door to welcome him. 

Once inside L'ill "doofus the dismissive" croons in with an "Oh, I see you got yourself an xxx"

Yes says he, seeing as you weren't interested in selling me one I just drove down to Covent Garden and bought it.

Apparently, the look on the manager's face disclosed that the ploy had worked :)

But back to the OP, what is actually unusual in this? The way of the world these days is that retail outlets (shoes to chandeliers) are only for look-sees and try-ons prior to buying it cheaper online

BenjaminButton

So to be taken seriously you need to show it’s not your first purchase ........ right I’m off to buy a new washing machine......

f75ef7d127ad971b33d5a717cf62e9de.jpg

Kyle_d
So to be taken seriously you need to show it’s not your first purchase ........ right I’m off to buy a new washing machine......

Hahaha

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Robtherib

Interesting read. Lots of serious debate and some p taking but still got me hooked until last post.

I often travel through Heathrow Airport and  like to browse the watch shops there. As I'm retired BA staff and because there is a staff dress standard (much more relaxed over time) I'm dressed pretty smartly but relaxed. So when I'm browsing, the shop staff pounce on me to show me something. At this stage my wife walks away from me. Little do they know I have no interest in buying but love handling the watches and discussing the huge asking price. 

Because I'm a  long time vintage watch collector and a very recent rep collector (Three TD purchases and two M2M. ) I'm travelling again in May. So this time I'll wear a rep (Rolex) and see if they might show even more attention. Love it.

gooner2826
15 hours ago, Kyle_d said:

I agree, I havent tried a AD only Goldsmiths which is a general high street jewellers. Dont think id dare ask to try one on id be embarassed lol. 

Good to see some watches in real though rather than a TD photo.

Used to work in Beaverbrooks mate, if you've got one local highly recommend them for trying them on. We couldn't refuse to get a watch out for somebody, if we didn't feel comfortable 2 people would do the sale. But long story short, they'll get out what you want  

Robtherib

pInteresting read. Lots of serious debate and some p taking but still got me hooked until last post.

I often travel through Heathrow Airport and  like to browse the watch shops there. As I'm retired BA staff and because there is a staff dress standard (much more relaxed over time) I'm dressed pretty smartly but relaxed. So when I'm browsing, the shop staff pounce on me to show me something. At this stage my wife walks away from me. Little do they know I have no interest in buying but love handling the watches and discussing the huge asking price. 

Because I'm a  long time vintage watch collector and a very recent rep collector (Three TD purchases and two M2M. ) I'm travelling again in May. So this time I'll wear a rep (Rolex) and see if they might show even more attention. Love it.

SadProfessor

When browsing for ring for the future Mrs professor I was approached to talk about the Tudor gmt because I had a rep Pelagos on.

I’ve never had any problems trying watches on, I regularly go into my local shop and try on things and I am always welcomed, and I’ve never bought anything. Still get offered a coffee each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robtherib
3 hours ago, Kyle_d said:

Chill out fuckin hell.

pInteresting read. Lots of serious debate and some p taking but still got me hooked until last post.

Kyz

Absolutely try gens in the store before spending your money.  Be polite and have some idea what you are talking about and the watch, if any, on your wrist is not so important.  I was a little surprised I often know more about the specs of a particular model than the sales rep.  My experience with luxury boutiques and jewelers is they will not pressure or probe you, just have the confidence to say thanks and walk out without explanation whenever it suits you. I have discovered a couple of watches on wrist did not suit me as I expected and saved myself a bunch of hassle.

GingerApple
9 minutes ago, Kyz said:

Absolutely try gens in the store before spending your money.  Be polite and have some idea what you are talking about and the watch, if any, on your wrist is not so important.  I was a little surprised I often know more about the specs of a particular model than the sales rep.  My experience with luxury boutiques and jewelers is they will not pressure or probe you, just have the confidence to say thanks and walk out without explanation whenever it suits you. I have discovered a couple of watches on wrist did not suit me as I expected and saved myself a bunch of hassle.

Not my cup of tea at all. That involves so many issues - going out in public, leaving my mum's basement, mixing with people, talking with people....

*Shudder.

The internet allows you to buy a load of clothes, try them on in your mum's basement and return the ones you don't want.

Rep watches and RWI/RWG let us buy loads of watches and C&R the ones we don't like.

I'm doing the latter :thumbsup:

Kyz

If you want to blow $15-20K on reps in a year that's one way to do it.

GingerApple
44 minutes ago, Kyz said:

If you want to blow $15-20K on reps in a year that's one way to do it.

What else would you do with your money :ohwell:

Undinist

I went to the Rolex dealer in Selfridges. When the salesperson asked if she could help me, I said "don't waste your time on me, all I can afford is a fake. It's in my pocket."  She asked if she could have a look so I just gave her my BP six digit gold Sub . She was speechless. She'd never seen a good rep before. She put it next to a gen and couldn't think of anything to say. To console her I pointed out that the 5 minute markers on the bezel of the gen were visibly thicker than those on the rep. That was the only difference I could see. Her only experience of reps before had been idiots walking in with a fantasy Rolex and insisting that it's genuine.  

GingerApple
1 minute ago, Undinist said:

To console her I pointed out that the 5 minute markers on the bezel of the gen were visibly thicker than those on the rep.

:lmao: I love this!

You're a truly caring guy.

Undinist

Shortly before that she'd been telling me about the staff purchase plan - a chunk of her pay was being kept by the firm every month so she could get a bimetal DJ36 at  a discount.  I think she had nearly two years' more payments to make. She must have been wondering whether it was worth it.  I almost gave her the rwg.bz address so she could explore some alternatives. But I think that would have been a bit cheeky.  I hope she sells her gen when she finally gets it and wears a rep to work!

Adit
22 hours ago, narikaa said:

But back to the OP, what is actually unusual in this? The way of the world these days is that retail outlets (shoes to chandeliers) are only for look-sees and try-ons prior to buying it cheaper online

Yes, how very true

Adit
22 hours ago, BenjaminButton said:

:rofl:

narikaa

Just out of interest remember when much of what's declared here would get a fire lit under you on the rep forums

Del
5 hours ago, narikaa said:

Just out of interest remember when much of what's declared here would get a fire lit under you on the rep forums

Indeed.  Changed days! :lol: 

I personally would never wear a rep in an AD's place.  It's just not cricket.

Kyle_d
Indeed.  Changed days!  
I personally would never wear a rep in an AD's place.  It's just not cricket.
I think it would be good to see if it fooled them, and just be honest after their verdict.

Del
5 minutes ago, Kyle_d said:

I think it would be good to see if it fooled them, and just be honest after their verdict.

See, there’s the problem. You are hoping to fool them, it’s disrespectful. Nothing to be gained except making yourself feel good at their expense. 

Kyle_d
See, there’s the problem. You are hoping to fool them, it’s disrespectful. Nothing to be gained except making yourself feel good at their expense. 
No just curious, I don't care who I fool I like it and that's all that matters id never tell anyone its real.

narikaa

Rampant naivety

What possible positives are going to come of this?

Anyone seriously believe that there's kudos to be had from the staff when you wow them with your indiscernible rep?

They will only see you as a 24-carat twat.

And as news of this encounter spreads from the water cooler to the management chain

the only possible outcomes are detrimental

Kyle_d

Bloody hell everyone has different opinions on things you know if we all thought the same about everything it would be a boring world lol.