Kyle_d

Scouting gens instore before ordering rep?

GingerApple
3 minutes ago, narikaa said:

And as news of this encounter spreads from the water cooler to the management chain

the only possible outcomes are detrimental

Whilst I agree with every other sentiment coming from you, Del etc, I'm not really sure I buy this bit.

There's no way Rolex aren't aware of high quality reps. They probably buy the latest iteration from every factory to know what's being replicated and what isn't, especially as the reps get better and better.

BadPickle
8 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

Whilst I agree with every other sentiment coming from you, Del etc, I'm not really sure I buy this bit.

There's no way Rolex aren't aware of high quality reps. They probably buy the latest iteration from every factory to know what's being replicated and what isn't, especially as the reps get better and better.

aware of fakes certainly, buy buying them? i hardly think so, a fake is a fake, whether it be 1:1 AAA+++ or DirtyHGate crap, its still a copyright infringement on their designs/patents/logo etc.... 

Del
19 minutes ago, Kyle_d said:

Bloody hell everyone has different opinions on things you know if we all thought the same about everything it would be a boring world lol.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes, that’s true, but your’s is wrong. ;) 

Del
18 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

In ADs?  Not a chance.

And anyway, that wasn’t the point. The point was it’s disrespectful to wear reps into an AD. Reps are the enemy of ADs so why does anyone think it would be fun or interesting or useful to rub their faces in it?

Kyle_d
In ADs?  Not a chance.

And anyway, that wasn’t the point. The point was it’s disrespectful to wear reps into an AD. Reps are the enemy of ADs so why does anyone think it would be fun or interesting or useful to rub their faces in it?

What about people who wear fake Stone Island and Canada Goose and Moncler coats round shopping centres? Its no different? Im not saying to go in and ask them if they wanna see your fake watch..

GingerApple
12 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

aware of fakes certainly, buy buying them? i hardly think so, a fake is a fake, whether it be 1:1 AAA+++ or DirtyHGate crap, its still a copyright infringement on their designs/patents/logo etc.... 

Exactly - but I think they would want to keep a very good eye on the good fakes, the best fakes, because they're the potential threats to their business (note - potential). Once the Chinese can literally 1:1 a rep, Rolex are screwed. Now that day probably won't come, but only if Rolex innovate. If they just keep churning out bog standard, simple metal watches, they will eventually replicate them 1:1. Maybe fifty years hence, but technology will allow it. Think how far they've come already with CNC machines etc. With the speed technology changes at, Rolex will need to continue to innovate. Whether that is by using new materials like cerachrom (sp?) hairsprings or whatever, they must change. And the way they get to see what the rep makers are copying well is by buying and dissecting the latest noob!

GingerApple
9 minutes ago, Del said:

In ADs?  Not a chance.

I don't mean in ADs. I mean that Rolex HQ will have a department devoted to copyright infringement and part of that department's role will be knowing exactly what the best reps are, where they're made, how big a problem they pose etc. 

11 minutes ago, Del said:

And as I said before, I agree 100% with this sentiment.

Rokerite

I actually wonder when designing a new watch whether they (Rolex, Omega etc) deliberately include features that they know the Chinese wouldn't be able to copy cost effectively. 

Del
5 minutes ago, Kyle_d said:

What about people who wear fake Stone Island and Canada Goose and Moncler coats round shopping centres? Its no different? Im not saying to go in and ask them if they wanna see your fake watch..

You said “it would be good to see if it fooled them”, which amounts to showing them your rep, otherwise how would you know if you fooled them?

Anyway, if you want to be a twat then be a twat. This has been covered many times on RWG, as @narikaa eluded to, and the vast majority share my opinion. 

Have a nice evening.

Kyle_d
6 minutes ago, Del said:

You said “it would be good to see if it fooled them”, which amounts to showing them your rep, otherwise how would you know if you fooled them?

Anyway, if you want to be a twat then be a twat. This has been covered many times on RWG, as @narikaa eluded to, and the vast majority share my opinion. 

Have a nice evening.

If they happened to ask about the one I was wearing at the time.. barely being a twat just cos I have a different opinion to you? 

Rokerite
1 minute ago, Kyle_d said:

If they happened to ask about the one I was wearing at the time.. barely being a twat just cos I have a different opinion to you? 

Del's view is also the view of the forum and it's proprietors though, and  to be a member of a club we all abide by the club's "rules" don't we?

Foxindebox
1 minute ago, Rokerite said:

Del's view is also the view of the forum and it's proprietors though, and  to be a member of a club we all abide by the club's "rules" don't we?

This.... 

Kyle_d

I thought a forum was a place for debates  and mixed opinions? I don't understand whats even going on here, you telling me im now breaking rules? Ive not offended no one or said anything inappropriate... I just don't agree with 'not wearing reps in ADs' as people wear fake stuff everywhere.. like someone else said shops these days are just places to view things we buy online.. its barely trying to be a 'twat' or offensive or whatever else.

Foxindebox
Just now, Kyle_d said:

I thought a forum was a place for debates  and mixed opinions? I don't understand whats even going on here, you telling me im now breaking rules? Ive not offended no one or said anything inappropriate... I just don't agree with 'not wearing reps in ADs' as people wear fake stuff everywhere.. like someone else said shops these days are just places to view things we buy online.. its barely trying to be a 'twat' or offensive or whatever else.

Look mate, you have been told what the official line of the forum is. Just leave it there eh?

BenjaminButton

Obviously the world of replica watches has moral contradictions but once we pass the basic transgression, once they pass into the hands of TD’s and then other members we expect complete honesty and openness about the watches. As@Del said it’s disrespectful trying to fool an AD, you are lying, no different to trying to fool another member. Splitting that principle up into different rules for different people just doesn’t stand up. It blurs the lines of honesty amongst ourselves. And playing with it ..... well as@narikaa said ‘the only possible outcomes are detrimental’ ........ both within and without of this place.

Jibuti

am trying to be modest and diplomatic here...

do not take fookin rep to fookin AD! Ever!

Kyle_d

I get it. Point made.

narikaa

Yes quite obviously Rolex are rep aware

But project the scenario when it gets to the regional manager level and on up

and

" only last week some bastard walked into our xxx  branch and showed off a fake so good that Mr YYY himself was perplexed"

After some corporate table banging all eyes fall of the guy in charge of the legal dept to see what he's going to do to placate the frothing corporates

What can he do? he can't nuke China into submission 

but he certainly can incept another of those Rolex funded purges on rep imports for that country

hand in glove with customs.

Pretty detrimental eh

GingerApple
11 minutes ago, narikaa said:

But project the scenario when it gets to the regional manager level and on up

and

" only last week some bastard walked into our xxx  branch and showed off a fake so good that Mr YYY himself was perplexed"

You see, I think they'll be way ahead of that scenario. I think Rolex HQ will know about good fakes the second they're released, indeed have them in hand soon thereafter. If Regional manager throws your scenario up the chain, I suspect he'll be told that HQ are all over it and to stop wasting their time and to go and sell some fecking watches!

That said, I defer to your (almost infinitely) greater knowledge of this game. So you're probably right. I don't even know what a DWO is FFS.....

Wriggles
31 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

You see, I think they'll be way ahead of that scenario. I think Rolex HQ will know about good fakes the second they're released, indeed have them in hand soon thereafter. If Regional manager throws your scenario up the chain, I suspect he'll be told that HQ are all over it and to stop wasting their time and to go and sell some fecking watches!

That said, I defer to your (almost infinitely) greater knowledge of this game. So you're probably right. I don't even know what a DWO is FFS.....

:facepalm:  I think you credit them with far too much forward planning. They don't care, one rep is the same as another to them, why do you think they'd be buying them? To see how good they are? They wouldn't care less, any rep, shite or not, is lost business to them  as far as they're concerned, and an IP infringment. I expect Narikaa is fairly spot on.

GingerApple

And I think you underestimate them. But I do acknowledge that I am a dumb shit who knows very little about very little.

Jibuti
3 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

I am a dumb shit who knows very little about very little.

I can vouch for that...

SadProfessor
:facepalm:  I think you credit them with far too much forward planning. They don't care, one rep is the same as another to them, why do you think they'd be buying them? To see how good they are? They wouldn't care less, any rep, shite or not, is lost business to them  as far as they're concerned, and an IP infringment. I expect Narikaa is fairly spot on.

My views on this differ slightly.

I don’t think a rep Rolex is lost business for Rolex. It’s lost business for seiko, Hamilton and Alpina. In the most part anyway.

I buy reps because I can’t afford the genuine watches for the most part.

The other points I’m staying away from. Don’t know enough, don’t want to piss anyone off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenjaminButton
And I think you underestimate them. But I do acknowledge that I am a dumb shit who knows very little about very little.

Is that a self-deprecating equivalent of a double negative?

GingerApple
1 minute ago, BenjaminButton said:

Is that a self-deprecating equivalent of a double negative? emoji6.png

I'm definitely not clever enough to do that!