NotTheFish

Hi from sunny South Africa!

NotTheFish

Hi all! 

It was about a year ago that I really took an interest in timepieces (although I'm certainly no WIS!). Living in South Africa I am unwilling to pull the trigger on the genuine iterations of these products - salaries are markedly lower than most first world countries and crime is significantly higher - those two factors alone are reasons enough for my decision. (But also, and dare I say selfishly, that the value of some of the originals do not justify their marked up costs - in my humble view of course) 

With that being said - I'm not a submariner fan :D I have however taken a keen liking to the pie pan style of DateJusts (but only in the last view months). 

Two watches I have my eye on are:

https://www.pf-838.com/watches/rolex/datejust/supreme-class-in-sh-3136-arf-jf/r36djs-955-arf-jf-116234-ss-ss-fluted-jubilee-blue-sticks-sh-3135-904l-steel.html 

"R36DJS-955 ARF/JF 116234 SS/SS Fluted/Jubilee Blue Sticks SH 3135 904L Steel"

And

https://www.pf-838.com/watches/omega/deville/mens/omde10083-deville-co-axial-auto-ss-ss-blue-asian-2824.html

"OMDE10083 Deville Co Axial Auto SS/SS Blue Asian 2824"

I love the look of the DeVille and I like Omega as a brand more, but I have small wrists and I think the movement in the Datejust might be better? Any advice from veteran members would be much appreciated. 

I am also concerned about shipping/customs to South Africa - I've never bought a replica before and I wonder whether they'd get seized! 

I generally don't post too often but I look forward to hearing from you all. 

Best regards, 

NTF

Edit: wrong URL for DeVille (had Asian Day characters) 

Edited by NotTheFish

stoozak

Hi there and welcome from a fellow 'Saffa!

kuvarsit

Hello from sunny and cold New Delhi . Welcome to the board

NotTheFish
4 minutes ago, stoozak said:

Hi there and welcome from a fellow 'Saffa!

Hi Stoozak! 

Are you still in SA or have you ventured abroad? How has your experiences been with customs? 

kuvarsit

Personally I would advice you omega. 

Arf makes good rolex but their 3135 movement has a big flaw on datewheel numeral font which looks very fake and the watch loses the high quality of 904L and perfect work on just because of font. Any one will be able to say that you are wearing the fake watch. If you insist for buying that rolex Datejust then you better wait for sh3135v2 for the watch. And the price is also expensive for such a big flaw . 

Omega would be good to go it is not a special edition and the price is cheap and worth quality.

anyway after all you know what you want! 

stoozak

Currently working on rotation in Egypt, but  I'm more in SA than out.

Customs is an interesting beast. They seem more concerned with charging us money than confiscating anything.  I usually opt for DHL as SAPO is useless and every 1 in 5 packages (ish) gets stopped by customs. They ask for an invoice (which I provide) and then charge me  VAT (we don't have import duties on watches or related products) and a few other fees, then release the package.  I have once been fined for the declared package value being different to the invoice value, but I think the customs official was just having a bad day.

NotTheFish
8 minutes ago, stoozak said:

Currently working on rotation in Egypt, but  I'm more in SA than out.

Customs is an interesting beast. They seem more concerned with charging us money than confiscating anything.  I usually opt for DHL as SAPO is useless and every 1 in 5 packages (ish) gets stopped by customs. They ask for an invoice (which I provide) and then charge me  VAT (we don't have import duties on watches or related products) and a few other fees, then release the package.  I have once been fined for the declared package value being different to the invoice value, but I think the customs official was just having a bad day.

That's interesting! Well Perfect Clones wants a physical address (i.e. they use a courier). In respect of customs - I know one pays for it at the post office if something is sent to a p. o. box address, but where would it be paid if a courier is used? 

As for your customs "charges and fees" could you give me an indication of what I might expect? My apologies for pestering you with my perhaps inane queries! 

13 minutes ago, kuvarsit said:

Personally I would advice you omega. 

Arf makes good rolex but their 3135 movement has a big flaw on datewheel numeral font which looks very fake and the watch loses the high quality of 904L and perfect work on just because of font. Any one will be able to say that you are wearing the fake watch. If you insist for buying that rolex Datejust then you better wait for sh3135v2 for the watch. And the price is also expensive for such a big flaw . 

Omega would be good to go it is not a special edition and the price is cheap and worth quality.

anyway after all you know what you want! 

I shall keep that in mind! Thank you for your valuable advice friend - I also get the distinct impression that unless you're over a certain age, or of a certain status, people will automatically assume that you're wearing a "fake" rolex! 

stoozak

I usually just keep an eye on the tracking and if I see it has been stopped by customs then I call the courier. They'll send you an invoice (usually about R150ish  for clearance and then whatever VAT is owed)  which you pay and then you just wait for delivery.

Customs has been a nightmare lately, stopping every parcel and taking over a week to inspect and release, but nothing confiscated yet (touch wood).

Glaude

Hi and welcome ! :) 

Piloten

South Africa pop quiz:

Fill in the rest . . .

"Whackhead is . . . ."

Piloten

I guess not . . .

Piloten

@NotTheFish  Still with us?  

Brawler82
On 17/02/2019 at 16:03, NotTheFish said:

Hi all! 

It was about a year ago that I really took an interest in timepieces (although I'm certainly no WIS!). Living in South Africa I am unwilling to pull the trigger on the genuine iterations of these products - salaries are markedly lower than most first world countries and crime is significantly higher - those two factors alone are reasons enough for my decision. (But also, and dare I say selfishly, that the value of some of the originals do not justify their marked up costs - in my humble view of course) 

With that being said - I'm not a submariner fan :D I have however taken a keen liking to the pie pan style of DateJusts (but only in the last view months). 

Two watches I have my eye on are:

https://www.pf-838.com/watches/rolex/datejust/supreme-class-in-sh-3136-arf-jf/r36djs-955-arf-jf-116234-ss-ss-fluted-julee-blue-sticks-sh-3135-904l-steel.html 

"R36DJS-955 ARF/JF 116234 SS/SS Fluted/Jubilee Blue Sticks SH 3135 904L Steel"

And

https://www.pf-838.com/watches/omega/deville/mens/omde10083-deville-co-axial-auto-ss-ss-blue-asian-2824.html

"OMDE10083 Deville Co Axial Auto SS/SS Blue Asian 2824"

I love the look of the DeVille and I like Omega as a brand more, but I have small wrists and I think the movement in the Datejust might be better? Any advice from veteran members would be much appreciated. 

I am also concerned about shipping/customs to South Africa - I've never bought a replica before and I wonder whether they'd get seized! 

I generally don't post too often but I look forward to hearing from you all. 

Best regards, 

NTF

Edit: wrong URL for DeVille (had Asian Day characters) 

Hey mate very big country but was born there and brought up there as a child so welcome mate. I like your choice good luck hope you get a good one

eastrandmullet

Hello to all fellow Saffas