judas9r

I'm I just going to be disappointed?

judas9r

Just picked up this little 5513 through M2M.

BtUjI.jpg

This is my first foray into the world of vintage reps and, although looks nice, its not as well finished as some other reps I've had. I'm keen to buy a Snowflake but am a little wary to splash the cash having felt the JKF in the metal. 

I know we get what we pay for in this game and that the no date Snowflake (as per TrustyT) is twice the price of this 5513, but aren't they basically just the same watch?

Anyhow, I'm by no way dissing the mighty JKF 5513. It's getting wrist time and looks great and for the money?... Not a bad watch. But if anyone out there has an out of the box Snowflake, it would be nice to hear your honest opinion.

BadApple

I think you will find the quality of the original R Factory ones are not a patch on modern Rollies. Nothing wrong with what you have or want to get. Go grab a Gen vintage and you will see what  I mean. 

hanski

I have not handled a JKF Snowflake but I’ve owned and worked on a number of JKF 1680. I imagine with the Tudors having a 26mm dial, the cases are one and the same sans the markings. Anyways, point being I’ve found the quality of the cases to be satisfactory - good finishing and metal. I mean, 316 is 316, right? 

Compared with the high end VN cases, they’re not quite as nice. I’ve found the VN cases to be better finishing and more precise. But again, they’re 316 too. 

Compared with contemporary Rolex reps, the vintage pieces do feel a little lighter and less substantial. Then again, as I understand it gen vintage feel that way too. But I say this speculatively based on what I read - I haven’t handled a gen vintage Rolex. 

If anything, I find the looseness of the bezel out of the box to be the cheapest feeling part. Overall they’re pretty decent watches for the money. 

deju

I have been lusting after a vintage sub (not being a fan of the modern ones) due to a few members posting kick ass pics on Instagram. *cough *cough 

@Piccolo gave me the best advice ever and warned me to try on the vintage sub before purchasing! 

He was right I went to the AD and it felt cheap and horrible. 

He saved me a fortune and made me realise that we can’t impose the QC demanded on modern Rolex on vintages. 

judas9r
50 minutes ago, BADAPPLE said:

I think you will find the quality of the original R Factory ones are not a patch on modern Rollies. Nothing wrong with what you have or want to get. Go grab a Gen vintage and you will see what  I mean. 

I have a gen DJ that I have owned since 94 and it was old when I bought it. I have to say that the Noob V8 nodate I bought last year makes it look and feel like a pile of junk (I sold the Noob). However, the 5513 is still not anywhere near the DJ. Ditching the bracelet from the 5513 really helps and that's what I'd plan for the Tudor. I'll probably bite the bullet at some point but will keep an eye out for an M2M bargain in the meantime.

BadApple

Mary has some in her bargain section.... $180

judas9r
1 hour ago, mzinski said:

I have not handled a JKF Snowflake but I’ve owned and worked on a number of JKF 1680. I imagine with the Tudors having a 26mm dial, the cases are one and the same sans the markings. Anyways, point being I’ve found the quality of the cases to be satisfactory - good finishing and metal. I mean, 316 is 316, right? 

Compared with the high end VN cases, they’re not quite as nice. I’ve found the VN cases to be better finishing and more precise. But again, they’re 316 too. 

Compared with contemporary Rolex reps, the vintage pieces do feel a little lighter and less substantial. Then again, as I understand it gen vintage feel that way too. But I say this speculatively based on what I read - I haven’t handled a gen vintage Rolex. 

If anything, I find the looseness of the bezel out of the box to be the cheapest feeling part. Overall they’re pretty decent watches for the money. 

Your right the case is fine and overall the look is great. It's just the strap and looseness of the bezel that lets it down really. However, for £100 I have bought worse stuff.

BadPickle
1 hour ago, BADAPPLE said:

Mary has some in her bargain section.... $180

So does MR $170 and cheaper postage 

BadApple
3 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

So does MR $170 and cheaper postage 

Indeed......

BadPickle
59 minutes ago, BADAPPLE said:

Indeed......

Jus’ sayin’ :ohwell:

BadApple
1 minute ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Jus’ sayin’ :ohwell:

But MR's wares aren't as visible as other TD's :MoneyEyes: to see that they have.

BadPickle
Just now, BADAPPLE said:

But MR's wares aren't as visible as other TD's :MoneyEyes: to see that they have.

Standard noob reply..... so you pay the extra 30 to look at pretty pics 

:lol: one sucker born every min 

BadApple

I'm just lazy................ and rich :throwingmoney:

NCRich

I know very little about these vintage models.

dhistory

Vintage is definitely an acquired taste. I had a gen tudor big block that I quickly sold because it was too much coin on something that felt like a toy. Don’t get me wrong, aesthetically it was gorgeous so fast forward 4 years, I would buy it back again in a heartbeat. Lol 

wish I could keep them all. 

judas9r

Thanks @pickledbeetroot emailed MR with enquiry. Not being as well heeled as @BADAPPLE I'll keep the lovely and ever reliable Mary in my back pocket. 

BadPickle
35 minutes ago, judas9r said:

Thanks @pickledbeetroot emailed MR with enquiry. Not being as well heeled as @BADAPPLE I'll keep the lovely and ever reliable Mary in my back pocket. 

No worries, who needs td’s websites when all you gotta do is check out their section here... it’s a no brainier 

@BADAPPLE :StraightFace:

RussP

I wish MR would reinstate an up-to-date thread of his wares.

I realise that he can obtain most watches people desire, but having examples available for viewing online go a long way, at least for me.

BadPickle
1 minute ago, RussP said:

I wish MR would reinstate an up-to-date thread of his wares.

I realise that he can obtain most watches people desire, but having examples available for viewing online go a long way, at least for me.

The TD’s don’t make the watches you know, how does it make a difference which site you look at? 

In the past i’ve sent links from one dealer to another for a purchase. 

judas9r
2 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

No worries, who needs td’s websites when all you gotta do is check out their section here... it’s a no brainier 

@BADAPPLE :StraightFace:

Thanks bud, I checked these already. It really didn't occur to me to ask if it was possible to pick up the 9411.

Jibuti

Only MR  I know is magnetic resonance... Sigh... 

fatarms
48 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

Only MR  I know is magnetic resonance... Sigh... 

Not sure if serious...  Marvellous Replica?

Jibuti
Just now, fatarms said:

Not sure if serious...  Marvellous Replica?

Not serious of course

BadPickle
14 hours ago, Jibuti said:

Not serious of course

Ever

judas9r

Thank @BadApple & @pickledbeetroot I finally got round to pulling the trigger on this with MR. Naturally, pics to follow.

• Like 1