Piloten

Size Matters

Piloten

This morning, I strapped on my long neglected 38mm Hammy and realized again how much nicer it is to wear than, well, let's see, 44mm pams, 48mm glycine, 55mm laco or 60mm pam. In the words of the immoral Archie, "SIXTY millimetres, fuckers!"

Now, you're thinking, "what kind of traitor is this?"

Close to a hundred years ago, British Power commissioned a study about round dial guages and concluded that, to be easily legible and instantly readable at about two to two and a half feet (60-75Cm), a guage in a panel in a moderately well lit control room should be oriented to the eye, well contrasted dial/hand, a 270 degree swing and no more than 2 inches (50mm) across, because anything larger took longer to read, as the eye hit the middle and had to travel along the hand to the scale.. In the 1930s/40s. the RAF re-did the study for aircraft cockpits and had the same conclusions, except that, to assist legibility at greater distances and darkened cockpits, the size was increased to 3 inches (75mm) and the demonstrated longer time to read was accepted as the compromise for legibility. Sorry, Corvette owners, that pie plate with the speed indicator is . . . compensating for something . . .

So, unless your name is Koko (rest in peace, you beautiful girl), you have no chance of even getting your arm to a reading distance appropriate for that soup can you're wearing. So, again, why? Is it because watches are now very much anachronistic jewelry that is meant to be shown off? Because, as the population ages, a bigger watch becomes more of an asset?

Because we're grunting, chest beating simians whose pants prohibit showing off our red and blue butts and poo flinging is passe'? 

Hmmmm

Edited for TM's sensitivities

elp
13 minutes ago, Piloten said:

........  poo flinging is passe'?

@Tits McGee, you're being dissed.

:popcorn:

Abe Fromen

Poo flinging is never passe!

FWIW, I went into the 47mm PAMs and dialed it back slowly over time.  Now I've hit the sweet spot of about 42mm. For my aging eyes, I like a plain, uncluttered dial. 

Tits McGee

Flinging poo will NEVER be passe. In regards to washing ones hands after, the younger generation has a long way to go.

RGUF74r.gif

Tits McGee
3 hours ago, Piloten said:

This morning, I strapped on my long neglected 38mm Hammy and realized again how much nicer it is to wear than, well, let's see, 44mm pams, 48mm glycine, 55mm laco or 60mm pam. In the words of the immoral Archie, "SIXTY millimetres, fuckers!"

Now, you're thinking, "what kind of traitor is this?"

Close to a hundred years ago, British Power commissioned a study about round dial guages and concluded that, to be easily legible and instantly readable at about two to two and a half feet (60-75Cm), a guage in a panel in a moderately well lit control room should be oriented to the eye, well contrasted dial/hand, a 270 degree swing and no more than 2 inches (50mm) across, because anything larger took longer to read, as the eye hit the middle and had to travel along the hand to the scale.. In the 1930s/40s. the RAF re-did the study for aircraft cockpits and had the same conclusions, except that, to assist legibility at greater distances and darkened cockpits, the size was increased to 3 inches (75mm) and the demonstrated longer time to read was accepted as the compromise for legibility. Sorry, Corvette owners, that pie plate with the speed indicator is . . . compensating for something . . .

So, unless your name is Koko (rest in peace, you beautiful girl), you have no chance of even getting your arm to a reading distance appropriate for that soup can you're wearing. So, again, why? Is it because watches are now very much anachronistic jewelry that is meant to be shown off? Because, as the population ages, a bigger watch becomes more of an asset?

Because we're grunting, chest beating simians whose pants prohibit showing off our red and blue butts and poo flinging is passe'?

Hmmmm

Nice to know you rely on studies from the 1930's &40's for your research. Oh, and one other thing, it's puff,puff, pass. Not puff, puff, talk nonsense, bogart,  then puff, puff, again.

Piloten

What's wrong with experiential studies, being the only kind they had back then?

What's Humphrey gotta do with this?

Jibuti

nice to know that you  strapped on today...your wife knows? not that is anything wrong....

Image result for anything wrong seinfeld

Piloten

We're into replicas here, after all . . .