Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Another vintage-style Panerai

greg_r

My favourite watch (the Rolerai) is currently suffering from a broken mainspring and is therefore off being repaired.

I’d been thinking of buying another vintage-style PAM anyhow, and the absence of the Rolerai meant that when I spotted this on Andrew’s site, I couldn’t resist.

The watch was listed as coming with both closed and display backs - more interestingly it was also listed as being fitted with a so-called “moljot” movement :thumbsup: - pics on the site suggesting that it was actually a molnija. Price was a lot less than I paid for the Rolerai, so I went for it.

The watch arrived yesterday and is a bit of a mixed bag, to tell the truth. The first thing was that a display caseback was not included in the package. I immediately removed the closed back to find that instead of the pictured movement, this sample was fitted with a panerai-engraved 6497. Whoops!

I’ve decided to keep it - but am currently in the process of working out an acceptable compromise with Andrew. It appears that the factory may have changed the spec of this watch without informing the dealers.

Okay, so I’ll admit being a little disappointed at not getting a mollie, but on the other hand, there’s much to like as well - I’ve always been a fan of the CG-less 6152/6154 case and the combination of that, the Rolex branded crown and the domed plexi mean that the watch certainly looks the part. The dial is fairly standard Panerai fare, with decent rep lume that is quite bright but not terribly long lasting. The strap it came with was yet another product made from the hide of the cardboard cow and is now in the bin. I’ve fitted a nice vintage-style strap from Getat plus a DSN mod/dep buckle instead.

Here’s a quick pic snapped at my desk this morning.

pam6152.jpg

6152-080711.JPG

Akira

Steaksauce !

greg_r
Steaksauce !

Nope, no A1 on this... :thumbsup:

Del

Congrats greg! Sorry to hear it wasn't exactly what you were expecting though.

Looks great on that dark brown strap :thumbsup:

Ska

Luvvvving that case. Awesome mate.

But +1 to what del said.

KeNnY

Amazing strap ! :thumbsup:

greg_r

Thanks guys. Having gotten over the initial disappointment about the movement, I have to say that I'm liking the watch a lot - and with a closed caseback, I guess it doesn't really matter what movement is in it :thumbsup:

wat44

I like it... I'm getting really close to new vintage Pam myself!

cajarana

Congratulations Greg, its a beuatifull watch.

Wiz

Damn, these vintage Panerais are really growing on me... Very very nice watch greg!

GC

OK...so no Moli...closed case back so what's the difference anyway right...

main thing is it looks very good, and so the lume is weak...it's vintage!

Enjoy the heck out of it because it looks the part!

greg_r

GC: quite :lol:

Just had an email from Andrew and he's offered me a deal, so I'm more than happy. I think this is gonna get lots of wrist time ;)

dingle

another pam....:D

................pssssssssssst.....looking for a vintage meself............shhhhhh.

greg_r
another pam....:rofl:

................pssssssssssst.....looking for a vintage meself............shhhhhh.

:D That's why I moved on 5 PAMs recently... I'm back down to 10 again :rofl:

KeNnY
another pam....:rofl:

When will you sell your DSSD ? :rofl:

greg_r
another pam....:facepalm:

When will you sell your DSSD ? :rofl:

Forget it, Ken, that's a keeper. :rofl:

ThinkBachs
I’ve decided to keep it - but am currently in the process of working out an acceptable compromise with Andrew. It appears that the factory may have changed the spec of this watch without informing the dealers.

Now that he's aware of it, let's see how long it takes to make the change on the site. I haven't looked to see if the adjustment was made but I wouldn't hold my breath.

greg_r

Now that he's aware of it, let's see how long it takes to make the change on the site. I haven't looked to see if the adjustment was made but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Me either.

Josh is now correctly listing the version I have (at a lower price than I paid initially, although I've now got that squared away). His listing was the same as Andrew's back when I ordered. No change at Andrew's site at present...

zivadavis

excellent score greg.....very nice looking watch and nice match up of the strap....

i just looked at andrew's site and he still lists it as equipped with a mollie movement and includes both solid and display case backs...i wonder if he is going to adjust the price on his site accordingly......even at the asking price he has now and in the configuration you received the watch it is a decent deal but it would be nice if he adjusted the price south for the different movement and the "missing" display case back...

its a very tempting piece as is the variant with the seconds subdial located medial to the "9" on the dial he has listed on the same page right underneath the listing for the one you bought

i never took the time to look at his site until now....he has some very interesting pams i havent seen elsewhere (yet)....i will have to check out the rest of his offering when i have some more free time

greg_r

ziva: Josh is now listing the version I have at $178 (at which price it's a bargain, imho).

zivadavis

just saw that myself......he has the "marina militare" version on his site listed currently......i am not sure if its the difference in photography style (they prob use the same photo guys) or the way the different sites present the images to the eye, however the "luminor panerai" version you have has a MUCH nicer looking dial (at least to my eyes)....both on the websites and in your pic...the watches are probably made in the same factory by the same people on the same line with the same equipment but your "luminor panerai" dial looks so much better at least to me than the "militare" offering/version josh has on his site.....especially in the way the font is printed and in the way the numerals are cut out...the hands on the luminor version also look good whereas the militare version look somewhat shoddy/cheap and i don't mean all vintagy/aged looking....they look not as nice at least to me

they may be a dead nuts on match when viewed side by side in one's hands but the photos/pics look very different to me with andrew's version appearing to have more attention to detail and finish when it comes to the dial and hands

i agree 178 dollars is a great deal.....hopefully andrew will adjust the cost of his version as thats the version i prefer as it appears to be nicer at least to my eye.....i may be totally incorrect about what i am seeing but in general i tend not to be a picky bitch or perfectionist when it comes to these things

nonetheless you scored a great looking piece thats now on a nice strap....wear it in good health