Timepilot2012

Looking for recommendations for best DayDate out there...

Timepilot2012

I've read the historical posts here about DayDates. "Get the steel one, looks more like white gold" and "Don't hand it to anyone, the weight is a dead giveaway."  Yes, I'm aware of these shortcomings. There is no way to make a replica gold watch look and feel like gold without using...gold. I know. I am actually interested in buying either a Gen vintage 36mm yellow gold, champagne dial,  or newer 40mm gen Everose DayDate, fluted bezel, stick indices,  but I want to buy a rep to wear around a little and get a better feeling of how I like wearing gold. I've never really been into it before but I've reach an age and level of professional achievement at which wearing something this loud doesn't look outlandish and obviously poseur. Buying a good rep seems to be a valid "try before you buy" exercise before investing several thousand in a Gen.

With this all said, can anyone give an objective review of the different factories' current DayDates? I have seen some by BP and Noob. All claim to be real gold plated (yeah, right, I know. 5 microns of 10k gold at best, and it'll rub off in 10 wearings, I'm sure) but there are a few in the $1400 range I've seen on a couple of TD sites that claim to be 25-30 microns of real 18k gold. I'm dubious and that seems like a hefty premium to pay for not very much gold at all.  I'm not opposed to paying for quality, and I have realistic expectations about what a Chinese factory can produce versus the artisan watchmakers at Rolex, but I don't want an obvious fake. For that matter, are there any members here that do high quality DayDate builds? I'd prefer to spend my money with a member anyway. Feed the hobby, so to speak. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

deju

Personally I think the day window always looks shit on the replica's. Font and alignment sucks. 

You state "wear around a little and get a better feeling of how I like wearing gold."

Wearing a Gen gold Rolex feels totally different on the wrist to Gen Steel.  Apart from atheistically on the wrist, you wouldn't get the feel of one on the wrist.

Just buy a cheapie if you want to try one.

NCRich

Not sure how to respond.   Wish you a quick death for not recognizing the target audience of this forum.......Or just wonder at the sheer idiocy of you post...........It is a close decision.

GenTLe

I have few gold plated reps and definitively they aren't fading in 15 times.
Get one of those (BP/Noob/Arf - not sure Arf does these ones) and you'll be happy.

Timepilot2012
2 hours ago, deju said:

Personally I think the day window always looks shit on the replica's. Font and alignment sucks. 

You state "wear around a little and get a better feeling of how I like wearing gold."

Wearing a Gen gold Rolex feels totally different on the wrist to Gen Steel.  Apart from atheistically on the wrist, you wouldn't get the feel of one on the wrist.

Just buy a cheapie if you want to try one.

I think I didn't do a great job of articulating my goal. I should have said "...how I like wearing the *color* gold." I realize the weight is substantially off with a rep. I just haven't ever worn much gold. Other than my academy class ring and some tuxedo shirt studs, I don't think I even own any gold jewelry. I am interested in the aesthetics right now; just to see if I can get used to something so attention-grabbing like a gold wrist watch. Thank you for the advice.

Timepilot2012
2 hours ago, NCRich said:

Not sure how to respond.   Wish you a quick death for not recognizing the target audience of this forum.......Or just wonder at the sheer idiocy of you post...........It is a close decision.

Well, as a relative noobie here, could I suggest a third possibility for a response in your capacity as a moderator? Maybe offering some constructive criticism about what was wrong with my post so I can better adhere to expectations? Frankly, I thought it was a harmless interrogative of members with more experience than me regarding a particular rep.

Timepilot2012
2 hours ago, GenTLe said:

I have few gold plated reps and definitively they aren't fading in 15 times.
Get one of those (BP/Noob/Arf - not sure Arf does these ones) and you'll be happy.

That's great to hear. Thank you for the response. So far, the ones I've seen from BP look pretty reasonable. I ordered one in rose gold from a TD here back in early February that didn't get shipped until after the Chinese New Year, and even worse, was seized in Hong Kong. I took it as a sign from the Universe that I needed to do more research before getting a DayDate. The TD was very stand-up about the incident and gave me credit for the whole seized purchase toward a very high quality Panerai, which left me very pleased.

Mankw

VzQVHI.jpgVzQKBL.jpg

I have the BP GMT rose gold Rolex from trusty time! 

Have it now for almost a month and a half and wear it from time to time and until now no problem with the plated gold. 

But need to say that I am very careful when I wear it cause one scratch and the watch is lost! 

If you take good care I think it can last for a while... 

Mankw

The date on my gmt rose gold is centered... it looks off but that’s because of the pic angle! The bezel is also spotless, the dot you see at 22 is dust, i forgot to clean my watch before pics! :lolcina:

deju
3 hours ago, Timepilot2012 said:

I think I didn't do a great job of articulating my goal. I should have said "...how I like wearing the *color* gold." I realize the weight is substantially off with a rep. I just haven't ever worn much gold. Other than my academy class ring and some tuxedo shirt studs, I don't think I even own any gold jewelry. I am interested in the aesthetics right now; just to see if I can get used to something so attention-grabbing like a gold wrist watch. Thank you for the advice.

I understand this! 

From my point of view in the UK I wear mine only to weddings. I don’t go to black tie events but those would be ok too

Not that I’m not used to it but I feel uncomfortable with the attention a gold watch can get in the UK. 

Brady1717
On 20/03/2019 at 17:39, Mankw said:

VzQVHI.jpgVzQKBL.jpg

Have it now for almost a month and a half and wear it from time to time and until now no problem with the plated gold. 

But need to say that I am very careful when I wear it cause one scratch and the watch is lost! 

How do you get to this BP site you speak of plz help me I’ve been desperately for days now looking for a decent priced day date gold with black face and white day and dates clearly I’m a nooooooooob

On 20/03/2019 at 17:39, Mankw said:

VzQVHI.jpgVzQKBL.jpg

Also how long did shipping take on this and do u live in the US

fatarms

@Brady1717Any trusted dealer can get just about any watch, who can get it the cheapest is up to you as you email them about price and shipping costs.  Shipping time to the US is anywhere from 5-21 days, depending on how long it sits in customs before someone gets to it.  Patience is one of the greatest virtues in this hobby.

FoxWilde

I think I’ve found some gold Rolexes for 4-6K which isn’t bad.

I actually just picked this one up for 3K. Not solid gold, but it’s my style!

D23-F6-D22-BC12-48-C7-88-EC-45-CFA48-A42

NFleischer

For DD 40mm not much choice, basically the Noob or BP.  If you get BP, DO NOT order the Swiss version.

I think the Noob has better Day font, otherwise pretty close. Noob I think is a bit more $$

You can get a cheapie BP with 21J movement for $218;

http://www.tb88.pw/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_213&product_id=3118

I would not spend $1500 on the wrapped versions, good chance there's little or no gold in those anyway.

Edited by NFleischer

Timepilot2012
On 27/03/2019 at 11:03, NFleischer said:

For DD 40mm not much choice, basically the Noob or BP.  If you get BP, DO NOT order the Swiss version.

I think the Noob has better Day font, otherwise pretty close. Noob I think is a bit more $$

You can get a cheapie BP with 21J movement for $218;

http://www.tb88.pw/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_213&product_id=3118

I would not spend $1500 on the wrapped versions, good chance there's little or no gold in those anyway.

This is welcome advice. Thank you, NFeischer. What gives you concern about the BP Swiss versions? This is my ignorance speaking, of course. Intuitively, I would have suspected a swiss ETA movement to provide a better experience, but if the a2836 is up to the task, then I can only guess it's about the price delta.

Automotiveromance
14 minutes ago, Timepilot2012 said:

This is welcome advice. Thank you, NFeischer. What gives you concern about the BP Swiss versions? This is my ignorance speaking, of course. Intuitively, I would have suspected a swiss ETA movement to provide a better experience, but if the a2836 is up to the task, then I can only guess it's about the price delta.

‘Swiss’ movements in reps are advised against because they’re mostly old, dried up and cobbled together mixes of Swiss and Asian parts. 

Timepilot2012
22 minutes ago, Automotiveromance said:

‘Swiss’ movements in reps are advised against because they’re mostly old, dried up and cobbled together mixes of Swiss and Asian parts. 

I've learned my "something new" for the day. Thank you! I'll avoid them. I'd rather pay to service an A2436, which I think is a pretty well understood beast, than a bastard child.

GenTLe

On a day date it's actually a 2834 (even if they write 2836 on their site). Basically same stuff :) And the Asian ones are good.

NFleischer

20180427_144027001_15248544597581_zpsexy

This is why people say stay away from "Swiss" rep movements. This is the movement that came in my BP DD 40mm! Nothing but trouble, looks 50 years old.