the_frenchman

Baselworld 2019

Xepa
15 hours ago, TomatoheadFred said:

I've been keeping an eye on it, but I think it's mostly dreadful so far. The Rolies are rubbish, the Tudors worse. That Tag is one of the better ones! But it's a Tag. Just a bit rubbish all round.

Agreed. Rolex offerings were unimaginative at best. BLNR on a jubilee, two tone sea dweller, steel yachtmaster with a black bezel... yawn... plus they've discontinued the BLNR with oyster which is just a kick in the nuts. And the new day-date 36 dial options just confirm that they're all about pushing the larger models; in my opinion they've deliberately feminised it. If I wanted a 36 with modern materials frankly I'd feel insulted that all but one of the dial options are girly looking. I was practically scoffed at in one AD before for even considering a 36! Fuck em.

Also that tudor with crown at 4 and the ugliest fucking end links I've ever seen, what is that even about? Should never have even been made as a prototype.

TDFBluWaffle
54 minutes ago, Xepa said:

Agreed. Rolex offerings were unimaginative at best. BLNR on a jubilee, two tone sea dweller, steel yachtmaster with a black bezel... yawn... plus they've discontinued the BLNR with oyster which is just a kick in the nuts. And the new day-date 36 dial options just confirm that they're all about pushing the larger models; in my opinion they've deliberately feminised it. If I wanted a 36 with modern materials frankly I'd feel insulted that all but one of the dial options are girly looking. I was practically scoffed at in one AD before for even considering a 36! Fuck em.

Also that tudor with crown at 4 and the ugliest fucking end links I've ever seen, what is that even about? Should never have even been made as a prototype.

The 42mm YM is not steel but white gold. If it was SS with oysterflex and black bezel the internet would go bananas. :D

Agree on the 36mm Tudors, although for some really really strange reason I actually... tolerate the PO1. 

Is anyone here visiting the fair? I'll be there saturday... 

Mr_B

My favourite has to be the new Bronzo, I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but this one is right up my street. Love the ceramic bezel matching the dial :fme:

Panerai-Submersible-Bronzo-PAM00968-7.jp

Glaude
21 minutes ago, Mr_B said:

My favourite has to be the new Bronzo, I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but this one is right up my street. Love the ceramic bezel matching the dial :fme:

Tis very nice indeed !

5 hours ago, TomatoheadFred said:

I quite like the grey dial on this new Patek. I don't think the Regulator design is very functional though, I find it hard to read the time. But there's just something about the dial that looks super modern and effortlessly classic at the same time. I'd like that dial in a stainless steel/white gold model, but with normal hands.

I'm always completely putt off by this stupid font they use for the day and month window

Those Grand Seiko :drool:

GingerApple
18 minutes ago, Glaude said:

I'm always completely putt off by this stupid font they use for the day and month window

It does look a bit stretched, but I think it's better than some of the older fonts. That said, I wouldn't buy a $400 rep that looked like that, let alone the £50k (guess) Gen.

GingerApple

It's definitely a lot better on the wrist, a hundred times better. I've seen a few other wristies on Instagram of it too and it's growing on me a bit - but it's so fecking weird. The next marmitey-ploppyesque watch?

Del
7 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

It's definitely a lot better on the wrist, a hundred times better. I've seen a few other wristies on Instagram of it too and it's growing on me a bit - but it's so fecking weird. The next marmitey-ploppyesque watch?

I like that it's different.  Not sure I'd buy one but there is a certain appeal of the 60s styling and novelty of the bezel locking system.  Would really need to see it in person - don't think this is a pre-order model! :lol: 

shenhua

tag n tudor   = loser watch

Glaude
4 minutes ago, shenhua said:

shenhua :

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "show us where he touched you"

Automotiveromance

@Glaude I think I already know exactly where :balls:

GingerApple
20 minutes ago, Glaude said:

shenhua :

:rofl:

Post of the week!

Glaude
2 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

:rofl:

Post of the week!

GingerApple

And now you're starting to worry me.....

Glaude
the_frenchman
1 hour ago, shenhua said:

So you think you are cool wearing fake rolex watches yeah ...? 

E78-C4533-7-E25-4-F7-A-A946-84-BE0-BC866

fatarms

Since when did a Sea Dweller have a cyclops?  It looks like a 16613 with a different dial.  Where is the creativity?  The grand seikos look to be the best of the bunch, and they're meh at best.  Here's to Baselworld 2020 when  the DSSD is offered on a Jubilee :rolleyes:

BenjaminButton

I’m probably not typical on any level of the driving taste behind consumerism - I’m a North London ponce. Some may say a cunt. But just as Tudor were holding fast with the handsome and tasteful BB range, tweaking a classic design range of quite conservative watches, they join the chaos of different for different sake. Think all the new Baselworld Tudors are weird and tastelessly off the mark. I guess they know their market and I assume sales figures were driving change. Still not my thing but then very little is. Might as well just jewel ‘em up and be done with it.

And as for Seiko - they’ve really kept consistent with their ever morphing fucking odd range. They certainly don’t keep to a path more of a design blunderbuss and on occasion a clusterfuck.

This, Kickstarter style rotter, from the house of Seiko is a special kind of don’t bother.

e504454fb41482f1094debb4f020de09.jpg

ClearSea
On 21/03/2019 at 18:35, Glaude said:

PP is a very nice and classy watch, but that Zenith, oh boy......

ClearSea

I really like these Breitlings:

VzHxXA.md.jpg

VzHG2Q.md.png

BadApple
14 hours ago, fatarms said:

Since when did a Sea Dweller have a cyclops?  

Since 2017 I believe......

GingerApple

There's been a few nice bits pop up on The Gram today. I liked these two:

VzH85G.png
VzHf0y.png

Dendo

I guess it is just me but I don't need another dive watch, one or two PAMs is enough and then they get repetitive, Pateks need to be bigger and more like Nautilus rather than the unreadable perpetual calendar styles...... maybe I need to take some time and come back when something new spikes my interest. 

GingerApple

I'm starting to like one of the Grand Seikos. The ones linked above don't do much for me, but the simple layout of this one combined with the sexy dial is a win for me. $10k, limited edition of 500..... I'll never get one will I.....

VvVrcI.png

VvVAao.jpg

semperfi55

I quite like the new collection by Bulova, a throwback to their vintage pieces, the “Art Deco” watches you see all over eBay :lol:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/joseph-bulova-swiss-made-automatic-introducing

VvZXIA.jpg

VvZHiT.jpg

They look like those old scratchy watches but waaay cleaner, and even more pricey