Sign in to follow this  
Del

Interesting story about Swiss Customs at Baselworld...

deju

Thats a seriously sore one. 

elp

ouch

Glaude

The guy got massively "scammed" by Swiss custom are they are in no way commercial goods.
And they can't charge him VAT over personal items.

But as he said, he should have looked at the face value of his belonging and fill out the appropriate custom declarations. They just knew they had him pinned and decided to go full douchebag on him.

He said :

It all just seemed rather arbitrary.  I asked about my camera and if it needed to be declared.

That's exactly how they work, on an arbitrary manner, always telling you : you could appeal the decision, you could do this and that but, in the meantime, pay the fine or go back.

I always travel with a copy of the proof of purchase and ownership of my camera gear, because the same thing can happen with any expensive gear you carry around from country to country.

But he doesn't seem too fussed about losing $4000 ... 

Del

So Swiss Customs are scammers?! The irony! :lol: 

Piloten

Well, ok. This pretty much only reinforces what I think of the Swiss in general, as shaped by my experience with the Swiss. Typical Swiss, well, anything you want, really. Stick shoved so far up ass that they taste bark.

Long, boring story ahead.

Many centuries back, I was on a long leave and traveling alone, I made the mistake of traveling by train into Switzerland after visiting the Deutschesmuseum in Munich.

Got off in fabled Zurich and went a sightseeing.  Wandering by the platzspitz, a hand grabs my shoulder from behind and immediately receives a broken thumb. Turn around with all intentions of removing a kneecap and it's two cops in that  . . . uninhibited . . .     baby blue combat uniform  they wear. I hold up my hands and try 'what is this' in english, then german.  We manage to get things calmed down without further drama and the uninjured one starts to explain in not-bad english, while I was wrapping his partner's thumb and getting him a ride to medical help.

"We thought you were a Russian."

Me: "Um, no, Canada. Why would it matter if I was Russian anyway? The Berlin wall collapsed years ago."

"Russians don't have any money."

Me: "This matters?"

"In Zurich, yes."

I bought him lunch while his partner got splinted. 

Never been back. God bless the Swiss, who will always be there as long as they have something to sell us.

Glaude
11 minutes ago, Del said:

So Swiss Customs are scammers?! The irony! :lol: 

:lol: 

Wouldn't be the first time government official abuse their position 

I put scammers in " " it's really a power abuse (the comments under the article are very good) 

They are the only one to decide what is commercial or not at that very moment, but they are liable if you take it up to court or to higher up in the hierarchy about why they suspected this was commercial and not personal (hence having proof of ownership and value is always helpful)

GenTLe

Well. I'm with @Piloten in this.. They are the worst asshats racist full-of-themselves cunts I've had to deal with. Not all of them, but the mentality is there.