reasonoverpassion

Hey everyone, here's some information about myself I've assembled for your potential evaluation and engagement

reasonoverpassion
1 hour ago, TomatoheadFred said:

I'd say work out what watch your want first. Have a list of your favourite few perhaps. Then see what's available from your favourites list in a half decent/recent version. As for your price, it shouldn't be more than that price anyway, not for a stock rep. Only the Noob clone Daytona's or any tourbillion movements cost more anyway.

What sort of watches do you like?

Well, I came into it (not unlike many others, it seems) thinking about a Submariner, specifically a 116613 two tone YG/SS with a blue or black dial and bezel. Once I really started digging into the forums and the beginner threads, I realized that the easily-scrated and scraped gold option just wasn't going to do it, not in my price range anyway.  Then I took a step back and just started browsing around a little more, and realized that the main appeal of the submariner was the size and dial. I like the bezel, but it's not a dealbreaker for me, and sometimes would detract from a look (I don't think it would look good on me with most suits, for instance.) So now I'm also looking at some DateJusts and SeaDwellers.  Day-Dates don't really do it for me, not sure why. Maybe seems too busy? Also, I'll say I'm not a huge fan of the jubilee bracelet, but boy it looks good on certain dressier models. 

LOL, Somewhere in the midst of this paragraph of confusion am I.

PS: I like the Milgauss, but there's a large scientific community in a city I visit frequently and I think I'd get called out as a poser. Not because they think the watch is a rep, rather because I don't have the theoretical scientific knowledge which ought to accompany any Milgauss, lol. I've seen a couple around, usually on the wrists of those who look the type to be particle physicists at the Neutrino observatory nearby.

1 hour ago, elp said:

Spot on @reasonoverpassion , when you start this hobby you'll learn how anal you are - some are fairly relaxed, others take a macro picture and measure the angles of the markers .... to each their own. Welcome to the club.

Too true. If my whisky hobby is any indication, I'll be taking out my geometry set soon!

1 hour ago, Junior88 said:

Sort of.   $500 CAD equates roughly to $370 USD. You'll find the prices from most TD's will be in USD.  Depending on how you pay, there will be fees, and also shipping isn't cheap. 

My suggestion would be to look in the $200-$300 US range to start with.  You'll need the rest for fees and shipping, pretty much. At least I have. 

The Ginger one is right, the latest Noobs and the 4130 clone Daytona prices are up there. Don't even get us started on Franken builds. 

Advice is much appreciated. Yeah, it's great for our exports but boy is it punishing when importing. At least the domestic PPP (purchasing power parity) hasn't changed too much so we don't /really/ feel it until we spend abroad, right?

Edited by reasonoverpassion

Junior88
13 minutes ago, hasel5 said:

I employ a ginger out feeling sorry for him and my partners dad is one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My niece is a ginger. But she's beautiful. 

And one of my guinea pigs is a ginger, too.  And he's adorable. 

But OUR ginger? Noooooooooooooooooooooo

hasel5

No he is a ugly fucker so fuck it give him some shit

Junior88
Just now, hasel5 said:

:cheerleader:

GingerApple
1 hour ago, hasel5 said:

Stop the ginger bashing he might actually be a nice guy 

I'm thinking no.

56 minutes ago, hasel5 said:

The afflicted should be treated with respect
Even if ginger

Yes! Anything else is racism. Ginger racism. Cunts.

40 minutes ago, hasel5 said:

I employ a ginger out feeling sorry for him

That's how we weasel or way in, then we steal from you.

41 minutes ago, hasel5 said:

...and my partners dad is one.

Don't feel the need to be so PC on here, we're all friends; you can refer to your partner as your boyfriend.

29 minutes ago, Junior88 said:

I am stunning!

12 minutes ago, hasel5 said:

I'm about a four Pinter I reckon.

GingerApple
35 minutes ago, reasonoverpassion said:

Was looking at a sub.... But now I'm also looking at some DateJusts and SeaDwellers. 

You definitely need all of those. But one at a time I guess. On those models, I reckon you go big or go home - get the latest and greatest and it's job done; the best modern ones are so gen like it's unreal.

Piloten
14 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

Of?

On the rail scale, how do you do? Make a freight train take a dirt road?

GingerApple
13 minutes ago, Piloten said:

On the rail scale, how do you do? Make a freight train take a dirt road?

I'm sorry, but I've never bummed my army friends so I'm not too used to your scale....

Junior88
33 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

I'm thinking you're being way too generous, Ronnie. 

Piloten

Still hasn't specified four pints of what

reasonoverpassion
4 hours ago, Junior88 said:

I'm a strawberry blonde, bright orange at birth, No freckles. I walk through both worlds, you may have heard of my kind.

3 hours ago, TomatoheadFred said:

You definitely need all of those. But one at a time I guess. On those models, I reckon you go big or go home - get the latest and greatest and it's job done; the best modern ones are so gen like it's unreal.

Love and understand the username. Carrot tops are green!

When you say go big or go home, what sort of USD budget are you thinking? I'll tell you, despite what I posted earlier, I just saw Jimmy Carr wearing a pretty nice Submariner on some show, and it actually looked great with the suit. What would you start with? I really liked a silver dial SS datejust I saw, but after what you've said I'm starting to really reconsider a decent Sub as a first go. 

GingerApple
3 minutes ago, reasonoverpassion said:

I'm a strawberry blonde, bright orange at birth, No freckles. I walk through both worlds, you may have heard of my kind.

:ttiwwg:

BenjaminButton

When you say go big or go home, what sort of USD budget are you thinking? I'll tell you, despite what I posted earlier, I just saw Jimmy Carr wearing a pretty nice Submariner on some show, and it actually looked great with the suit. What would you start with? I really liked a silver dial SS datejust I saw, but after what you've said I'm starting to really reconsider a decent Sub as a first go. 

I always see him sporting his Patek. Between what he makes on tour and saves in taxes he’s a classic Patek man.

d99f97e0260c6cc5e64d7c283cc13b44.jpg

GingerApple
23 minutes ago, reasonoverpassion said:

When you say go big or go home, what sort of USD budget are you thinking?

Well, the best subs at the minute are the Noob or the ARF - both much of a muchness. The ARF is, depending on the TD, late 400s.

Eg https://www.intime04.co/rollie/4793-submariner-116610-ln-black-ceramic-arf-1-1-best-edition-904l-ss-case-and-bracelet-a2824.html

reasonoverpassion
51 minutes ago, BenjaminButton said:

I always see him sporting his Patek. Between what he makes on tour and saves in taxes he’s a classic Patek man.

d99f97e0260c6cc5e64d7c283cc13b44.jpg

His new tour poster, that's a Sub.  Edit: Image didn't attach, will link it in comment below
Edit 2: Now I don't think so, lol. Still a rolex?

38 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

Well, the best subs at the minute are the Noob or the ARF - both much of a muchness. The ARF is, depending on the TD, late 400s.

Eg https://www.intime04.co/rollie/4793-submariner-116610-ln-black-ceramic-arf-1-1-best-edition-904l-ss-case-and-bracelet-a2824.html

What about the DJs? Anything you'd really suggest closer there, or am I in the same situation pretty much?

TuLlhfw.jpg

Edited by reasonoverpassion
Upload image

GingerApple
4 minutes ago, reasonoverpassion said:

What about the DJs? Anything you'd really suggest closer there, or am I in the same situation pretty much?

I'm not so up to date on DJs; they're not my thing so much, so someone else will have to chime in. Failing that, I'd recommend having a search next door on RWI for review/comparison threads. I don't think the ARF versions will be bad, but I don't know if they're the best. Cost wise, they're low 400s.

For example

https://puretime.io/watch-brands/rolex/datejust/datejust-41-126334-arf-1-1-best-edition-904l-steel-black-dial-on-oyster-bracelet-a2824.html

reasonoverpassion
2 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

I'm not so up to date on DJs; they're not my thing so much, so someone else will have to chime in. Failing that, I'd recommend having a search next door on RWI for review/comparison threads. I don't think the ARF versions will be bad, but I don't know if they're the best. Cost wise, they're low 400s.

For example

https://puretime.io/watch-brands/rolex/datejust/datejust-41-126334-arf-1-1-best-edition-904l-steel-black-dial-on-oyster-bracelet-a2824.html

Hmmm... makes me think that if the prices are that comparable and my initial instinct was to go for the Sub, maybe it should be the Sub. Now to decide whether to wait and hope one comes up domestically in the next little while, or just bite the bullet and order. 

reasonoverpassion
11 minutes ago, TomatoheadFred said:

And by the way, that's not a sub Jimmy Carr's wearing. Looks like a Daytona to me. Something like this:

https://puretime.io/daytona-116500-arf-1-1-best-edition-904l-ss-case-and-bracelet-black-dial-a4130-super-clone-v2.html

Ah, good eye. Thanks. Knew it was a Rolex, just wasn't sure which type. His Patek in the other photo is nice!

reasonoverpassion
On 27/03/2019 at 19:46, GingersDoItBetter said:

What do you think of this, especially vs the  SA3135? Also, first time I've seen a pre-order? Any idea what that's about?

Loving the hulk more and more. 

GingerApple

That one's for pre order?

I didn't notice/realise if so.

Maybe they're temporarily unavailable until a new batch is made? Maybe it wasn't available with that movement before? I'm not sure tbh. You can always ping a TD am email if you're not sure. Or try asking @Luxuracer on here - he's quite knowledgeable about that sort of stuff so he'll probably know the answer, but if he doesn't, he'll make up a very credible sounding answer that will satisfy you regardless of its veracity.

reasonoverpassion
4 hours ago, GingersDoItBetter said:

That one's for pre order?

I didn't notice/realise if so.

Maybe they're temporarily unavailable until a new batch is made? Maybe it wasn't available with that movement before? I'm not sure tbh. You can always ping a TD am email if you're not sure. Or try asking @Luxuracer on here - he's quite knowledgeable about that sort of stuff so he'll probably know the answer, but if he doesn't, he'll make up a very credible sounding answer that will satisfy you regardless of its veracity.

No, I'm an idiot and forgot to include the relevant Hulk link, lol. Yours was in stock.

Here is what I meant to have included: https://www.intime04.co/rollie/4840-pre-order-submariner-116610-lv-green-ceramic-904l-v9-noob-1-1-best-edition-green-dial-on-a2836.html

GingerApple
6 minutes ago, reasonoverpassion said:

No, I'm an idiot 

I knew you'd fit in here.

7 minutes ago, reasonoverpassion said:

But I don't know why is pre order. Ask Intime.

reasonoverpassion
2 hours ago, GingersDoItBetter said:

I knew you'd fit in here.

But I don't know why is pre order. Ask Intime.

Hahaha, fair enough. Thanks!

reasonoverpassion

Posting this as an addendum here because I don't have an asbestos suit anywhere else.

So I'm still looking for an VRF MAX Hulk, specifically the VR3135 or the A2836, probably the 2836.  Andrew from TrustyTime said he doesn't think it's available at all right now, and none of the TD's I've messaged or emailed had any different reply. I see it on InTime (https://www.intime04.co/rollie/4364-submariner-116610lv-green-ceramic-vrf-max-1-1-best-edition-a2836.html) but I'm ever-so-slightly hesitant because AFAIK I don't see Ryan listed as a TD here. I have been tired when going through the list and the threads, though, so forgive me if I just missed that. Nonetheless, I've emailed to ask if it's actually in stock or at least available to his knowledge.

So, my questions are:

(1) If InTime does have it, should I go through them? What is the general consensus on InTime? I see some critiques here and on RWI from around 2017, but most of what I read is positive.

(2) Failing that, would you hold off until another production run of VRF MAX occurs? Is that possibly months?