fatarms

Question about regulating an A2836 by about a minute per day

fatarms

So, my favorite rep that I've frankened the hell out of, I have had it for 3 1/2 years now.  The entire time, it runs about 60-75 seconds fast, A2836 GMT movement.  I think I'm finally going to crack it open to adjust that regulation arm.  I know which one I need to move, and that I need to move it closer to the other arm.  The question is, how far?  I don't have any timegrapher stuff and I've never had any luck getting the smart phone apps to work either.  So it's going to be a trial and error thing, I think.  I'm guessing, for just a minute per day, I'm going to want to move it less than any real palpable movement with a toothpick?  Like move it so slightly, I don't even feel it move at all?  At least that's what I'm gathering from what I've read and seen on youtube, but wanted to get some real world feedback from someone who has done this before.  When it comes to working on movements, unless it's a pretty simple procedure, I might as well be working on it with my feet. :lol:  But after 3 plus years, I think I have the guts to try this out for myself.

And for the TTIWWP crowd:

se9fl1.jpg

BadPickle

Don’t bother, without the correct sensitive equipment you’re just pissing in the wind.  I could post a long winded reply about how a hairspring works, then amplitude and lift angle, setting in different positions but without the timergrapher it’s just white noise. 

A friend  said to  me, “I’m going to play professional ice hockey today, I haven’t got any padding or helmet but I have got a walking stick that I can turn upside down, will that be ok?” 

:D 

tonyh7

I have used a mobile phone app with some success, but that was just for fun on a £10 watch I got from ebay. If you care about the watch, take it to a watch reapirer. Having a movement regulated isn't expensive. 

GingerApple

I did exactly what you're thinking of doing with a rep I had. I'd say the movement of the arm required was slightly more than you're talking about, at least on my rep, and it worked in the end, but it was a PIA. I had an A4 sheet of paper and I'd note down the time I adjusted it, whether the arm moved a bit or a lot (because it's hard to move it the same amount each time), whether I'd adjusted it clockwise or anti and how much time it had lost (or indeed gained) since the last adjustment. It took me about a week, maybe ten days, of regular back and forth adjustment, but I finally sorted it (got lucky?)! In the end it went from something that was a minute or so per day out, to a watch that was basically bang on, gaining just a second or two per day on the wrist.

GenTLe

Without a instrument it will take ages and the risk of messing it up will grow proportionally.

At least try with the tickoprint app, it may gives you a clue (better than hand...). It's practically impossible to give you a real clue about "how much". Consider that 1mm movement of the regulator can cause 90+ sec/day difference, it's really a matter of MICRO adjustement.

austinsom

Nice watch :)  I've regulated a few of my watches, and if you do have a few in the collection you can pick up a timegrapher for less than $100.  From what I have found, if you move it and can see it move with the naked eye, you have moved it way too much. Good luck!

fatarms

Thanks, guys.  Appreciate the replies.  Sounds like I should procrastinate for another year or so until it bothers me again :lol:

• Like 1

nikkorbot

If you are willing to spend $5, check out Clock Tuner on the Android store. There's a trial version as well.  It's a digital timegrapher.

It basically uses the mic on your phone/earbuds to listen to the tick so you can regulate your watch. The app is smart enough to auto determine how many bpm your movement should be- and then tracks if you are plus/minus for timing. I've regulated quite a few watches with the app- it's awesome, and the best $5 I've spent on this wallet draining hobby. :throwingmoney:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.athumbsoft.pendulumtuner&hl=en_US