Tennesseehorn

Watch Bracelet Link Screws Are Too Tight

Tennesseehorn

Guys/Gals 

i just received my JF/ARF 116622 904L Steel Yachtmaster Men SS Blue SH 3135 from a TD and tried to take some links out but the screws are really tight to the point I don’t want to scratch the link when/if the screwdriver slips. I want to avoid taking it to a jeweler to fit my wrist but I don’t know what else to do. Any suggestions on how to loosen the link screws?  It looks sweet so I want to wear it ASAP.

Thanks

fatarms

Try taking the bracelet off the watch and soaking it in either baby oil or WD-40 for a few minutes and then washing it in water and dishwater detergent.  This may loosen some of the grime, but if it's in the screw threads, it may take some force to get them moving.  PB Blaster is great for getting screws moving, but it will take some patience while soaking them.  It's a penetrating oil that has never failed me in other applications but may be of use to you in this case.  If you choose to go this route, you'll want to also invest in some loctite blue to put the screws back in to make sure they don't come loose after removing, cleaning in detergent/water.

narikaa

It might just be a matter of what you are using

The above advice is good if crud/corrosion involved, but if all is good within the threads and they're sparkly clean but  just a bit torque tight, then soaking etc will avail you nothing

As any gunsmith will tell you the correct fitting screwdriver is key

Use one that fills the screw slot exactly

Importantly the archetypical 'watchmakers'/ eyeglasses type screwdriver may well not have the girth to generate that needed bit of torque

drivers.jpg?raw=1

Tennesseehorn

Interesting.  I’m using the exact bottom  screwdriver.  Advice where to get the top one or something similar?

NCRich
3 hours ago, narikaa said:

It might just be a matter of what you are using

The above advice is good if crud/corrosion involved, but if all is good within the threads and they're sparkly clean but  just a bit torque tight, then soaking etc will avail you nothing

As any gunsmith will tell you the correct fitting screwdriver is key

Use one that fills the screw slot exactly

Importantly the archetypical 'watchmakers'/ eyeglasses type screwdriver may well not have the girth to generate that needed bit of torque

drivers.jpg?raw=1

Heh, he said "girth"  :rofl:

Viking95

DPYuGpc.jpgYou need a 1.6mm hollow ground bit (top vs typical one on bottom)

automatico

"As any gunsmith will tell you the correct fitting screwdriver is key.  Use one that fills the screw slot exactly."

True.   

A common 'chisel tip' screwdriver will jack out of the screw slot when high force is applied.  For very tight screws the blade must have straight sides and be a snug fit in the screw slot.  Many times you have to grind a screwdriver blade to fit an over tight screw.  HSS drill bits aka 'twist bits' make good screwdriver blades...cut it in two and use the shank .  'Shank' = the smooth part with no flutes.

Last resort is to heat the threaded end of the screw/link over a candle or Bic lighter and try again.