Furryhobnob

Another new member from the UK

Furryhobnob

Hi guys new member here from the UK, I love watches and started looking at vintage omegas a few months ago as you can pick them up relatively cheap depending on the model/condition, anyway the searching led me to this site, just started reading various threads so hoping to get to grips with how things work round here, can anyone recommend a UK based seller or one that delivers to the UK that takes credit card as payment, I'm looking to buy a decent omega rep, thanks in advance 

Bertus15

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn things. One of which could be punctuation.

Furryhobnob

Thanks for the welcome, is my punctuation that bad? If so apologies.

Bertus15

I was having a grumpy grandad moment, so maybe it should be me who should apologise.   

/old schoolmaster mode on.

The point I was trying to make is that a forum is a place for exchange of information, ideas and knowledge. If you can not be bothered to  properly communicate, why should a reader be bothered to reply? Look at the amount of replies you got versus the other new member.  There's a lesson to be learned here.

/old schoolmaster mode off.

The welcome was genuine.  ;) There is great deal to be learned and this really is a great place to do it. 

Furryhobnob

Happy to be schooled, I'm trying to do as much reading as I can regarding trusted dealers, quality of watches/movements also, the few TD websites I have clicked on, they only seem to support payments other than credit cards, hence my question regarding this, I'm sure I'll learn as I go along, again I appreciate the welcome, seems like a very decent place with decent members from my very limited reading so far. 

10 minutes ago, Bertus15 said:

I was having a grumpy grandad moment, so maybe it should be me who should apologise.   

/old schoolmaster mode on.

The point I was trying to make is that a forum is a place for exchange of information, ideas and knowledge. If you can not be bothered to  properly communicate, why should a reader be bothered to reply? Look at the amount of replies you got versus the other new member.  There's a lesson to be learned here.

/old schoolmaster mode off.

The welcome was genuine.  ;) There is great deal to be learned and this really is a great place to do it. 

BadPickle

all will deliver to the uk, well they have to me anyway :lol:

i'd maybe think about another method of payment, CC can prove to be fees costly, moneygram or western union are better alternatives, maybe give them a coat of looking at before you decide to spend. 

welcome to the forum 

Glaude

Hi and welcome ! :) 

Sigg

Welcome to the forum mate. There is some great information on here. Read the stickies before making any purchase and start saving. All the best

Adit
1 hour ago, Bertus15 said:

The point I was trying to make is that a forum is a place for exchange of information, ideas and knowledge...

...and, in some threads at least, that's the polite way of describing it! Read on...:lol:

Welcome aboard, mouldy biscuit, contribute freely, fellow watch-lover :)

Furryhobnob

Thanks all, I'll keep reading every spare minute I have, not sure on western union or similiar, always been wary of payments like that as they are normally associated with scams, not insinuating any of the TD on here are scammers of course. 

Adit

You should be fine with them, that's why they are trusted. There are some very knowledgeable and canny chaps on here who wouldn't allow those dealers to be on the coveted TD list if there was any doubt about their payment methods/trustworthiness.

I've not bought from one personally yet (just from M2M sales on here), but hope to take the plunge soon, when I have whittled down my final choice of model,  specification, price and TD to one.

Furryhobnob

Yeah I was just browsing the M2M, I think I might try and buy one from there first before looking into TD and western union, it seems like a good place to start as some of them go for great prices 

GingerApple

Welcome! But seriously, you need to listen to Pickle and the others re credit cards. They're the worst idea in history. You get totally ass fucked with the exchange rate, plus some dodgy bloke in China gets to have all your credit card details. No. Just, no.

The only theoretical advantage to a CC payment is the security of getting your money back if you're scammed, right? Well let me tell you hobnobgobbler, that's the beauty of the Trusted Dealers - you can trust them. Seriously. I'm not some weird internet stooge of the TDs trying to entice you to send out your money to a scammer in China - I'm just a chap from Kent that likes fake watches. Simples! You really can trust the TDs. If they were to fuck people over, they'd get kicked off this forum and lose a major income stream. And whilst TDs have been removed, it's not been for out and out scamming (and even that's been like a once in ten year type event). You can genuinely send them WU/PayPal/TransferWise etc and they will send you the watch you order, fear not!

I'd recommend sticking around here for a while until you feel you can trust me and the thousands of other members' opinions/advice before spunking your CC details all over China. But it's your call of course. Either way, welcome. And get your filthy hands off my Goodplanet GMT.

PostMaster

Hello Hi,

Don’t read too much into things, enjoy the hobby & get some wrist shots in to share. This forum is the bestest for watch lovers & sarcasm.. enjoy the ride lol.

Remember to build a good relationship with TDs (list on forum somewhere).

All the best :D

Furryhobnob
3 minutes ago, GingerDolt said:

Welcome! But seriously, you need to listen to Pickle and the others re credit cards. They're the worst idea in history. You get totally ass fucked with the exchange rate, plus some dodgy bloke in China gets to have all your credit card details. No. Just, no.

The only theoretical advantage to a CC payment is the security of getting your money back if you're scammed, right? Well let me tell you hobnobgobbler, that's the beauty of the Trusted Dealers - you can trust them. Seriously. I'm not some weird internet stooge of the TDs trying to entice you to send out your money to a scammer in China - I'm just a chap from Kent that likes fake watches. Simples! You really can trust the TDs. If they were to fuck people over, they'd get kicked off this forum and lose a major income stream. And whilst TDs have been removed, it's not been for out and out scamming (and even that's been like a once in ten year type event). You can genuinely send them WU/PayPal/TransferWise etc and they will send you the watch you order, fear not!

I'd recommend sticking around here for a while until you feel you can trust me and the thousands of other members' opinions/advice before spunking your CC details all over China. But it's your call of course. Either way, welcome. And get your filthy hands of my Goodplanet GMT.

Haha I want that Goodplanet it's beautiful, I'll look out for your M2M for sale thread, and fair point on the CC details, I'm happy to use PayPal as its something I'm used too, I think i may be best buying something from the M2M first and seeing if I fall in love with fake watches......... Which I think I will! 

BadPickle
7 minutes ago, Furryhobnob said:

Haha I want that Goodplanet it's beautiful, I'll look out for your M2M for sale thread, and fair point on the CC details, I'm happy to use PayPal as its something I'm used too, I think i may be best buying something from the M2M first and seeing if I fall in love with fake watches......... Which I think I will! 

:lol: no PP for the new guys i’m afraid, too risky for the TD’s 

Furryhobnob
2 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

:lol: no PP for the new guys i’m afraid, too risky for the TD’s 

I'm guessing that's due to scammers disputing stuff? Do TD's accept PayPal via friends and family so no fees? Why is it so hard buying a watch lol, looks like i am definitely buying my first rep from the M2M then, is it best to wait for a sale thread or post your own wanted thread? I'm not sure on which omega I want as I like most of them. 

BadPickle

No f&f either, im guessing pp won’t allow large volumes of transactions from many countries 

Faker

Some possibilities 

- There is a limit on how much you can send/receive as ‘friend/family’ before they automatically start charging. 

- there are ways to dispute a friend/family charge and get a refund

- some countries are not offered the friend/family option

Furryhobnob

Well I've just bought a watch over at RWI, rotor not moving freely so got it as spares and repair, looking forward to taking it apart and having a tinker, managed to get it for a great price, nothing ventured, nothing gained so they say. f58b9d460d8a12b0c4ffab010cd6e76d.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Furryhobnob

Well the above watch arrived, to be honest I'm staggered by the quality of the watch, I beleive it's from the v6f factory, this is the first time I've held a rep in my hand and even its weight is really good, took the case back off and managed to see what was causing the rotor to stick, it was catching on one of the other decorative pieces stuck onto the miyota 8215?? movement, sorted that and the rotor is freely moving, watch still isn't working though, I bought it spares and repairs so can't complain.
Need to start delving more into if it is a miyota 8215 movement now, and if so can I just buy a new movement and swap them over, or is there an alternative movement that will fit without too much butchery going on, if anyone has any pointers or tips I would be eternally grateful.
Either way I can see me making my first purchase from a TD soon if the quality of this watch is anything to go by.
b703bf85fd5e69102f63de9886331582.jpg26f4e4668980fa618737d65b5b1b6d8a.jpg3e26858834269c36bf70f0231a89ad8b.jpg20ad8bff55043a42d6ba48921777039a.jpgd356bbc4f821f477d4bde3c96af83cbb.jpg1022d3fccaf4a82dfd694b224e7c3272.jpg

Furryhobnob

A lume shot for the people that like it bdff0c885459749693ecc077f9f3c693.jpg

GingerApple

I'm more interested in your socks. Are they Gen?

:puppet:

Furryhobnob
I'm more interested in your socks. Are they Gen?
:puppet:
Haha they certainly are, would never buy rep socks ;-)

Waspy

If a Miyota 8215 came out, then pretty much a Miyota 8215 has to go back in.

They are like 25 quid on eBay.

As for payment methods, Bitcoin is my method of choice. Not hard to learn, a forum member showed me how.