BigJK

Rolex Submariner v9 PROBLEM

BigJK

Hey guys, I need some help. I have not had much luck with my rolex noob v9 sub. I haven’t had time to get it repaired but can someone tell me why this has happened 

its not winding after after a certain point and it’s driving me crazy.  Please see the video link below. Has someone ever had this problem? Any recommendations on getting it repaired.

anyone in Vancouver BC have a repair guy local?

Many thanks

https://youtu.be/ugvhJMX9FYY

Automotiveromance

Looks like either you broke the date mechanism because you changed the date when it was engaged, or because you turned the hands anti-clockwise when the date change was engaged. 

Never change the date, or adjust the hands backwards between 10pm to 3am. To be safe, I only change the date when the hour and minute hands are on the bottom portion of the dial. 

It needs a service.

Edited by Automotiveromance

GenTLe

You should NEVER, on any mechanical or quartz watch with a date, go "back in time", NEVER especially when the hour hand is anywhere near 12! ALWAYS forward!

It's the perfect way to destroy the movement and the date change mechanism.

Nikosaldente
49 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

You should NEVER, on any mechanical or quartz watch with a date, go "back in time", NEVER especially when the hour hand is anywhere near 12! ALWAYS forward!

It's the perfect way to destroy the movement and the date change mechanism.

Exactly......

GingerApple

Oh god! That video's going to give me nightmares!!!

BigJK

LOL thanks guys! Sorry for giving you the cringes. I'll get this repaired and take heed of these rules!

Viking95

You can F up even gen watches by going backwards like that

Monkey_Business

The sound of the date cam shattering everything in it's path, oh god

BigJK

Hey guys, everyone was right. Big lesson learned. Never to change the date when the hour hand is in the upper half of the watch.  When the watch stops working, how do you guys recommend winding the watch and changing the date and time again?

Thank you

Rx4Time

That definitely was cringe worthy to listen to and excruciating to watch. 

Automotiveromance

You can wind it (i.e. Position 1 of the crown NOT the date or handsetting position) without a problem in whatever position the hands are. 

How I do it is: wind the watch to get it going. Then make sure the hands are on the lower portion of the dial, making sure to only go forward in time. Then I set the date to the day before. Then I pull the crown out to the hand setting position again, with the seconds hand at 12. I then advance the hands till the date flips over and set the correct time against my phone or something.

BigJK
18 hours ago, Automotiveromance said:

You can wind it (i.e. Position 1 of the crown NOT the date or handsetting position) without a problem in whatever position the hands are. 

How I do it is: wind the watch to get it going. Then make sure the hands are on the lower portion of the dial, making sure to only go forward in time. Then I set the date to the day before. Then I pull the crown out to the hand setting position again, with the seconds hand at 12. I then advance the hands till the date flips over and set the correct time against my phone or something.

Thanks for this! something needs to be pinned in the discussion on what not to do with watches and how to properly use them. Freely use my video on what NOT to do 

Nikosaldente

@BigJK @Automotiveromance

When you pick up your mechanical watch after sitting in your Watch Box for some time.....

Unscrew the Crown,  if it has Screw down Crown. 

Wind it a few times 10-15 to get it going.

You can't know if the time that the watch is showing is PM or AM

Pull the Crown (2 clicks) to time setting position and advance the time so you can see when the date flips over...That's midnight!

Advance the time so it's showing 6 AM.

Push the Crown (1 click) to quick date setting position and now you can change the date safely to the present day or the day before,  whatever you like.

According to your previous choice, pull the Crown again to the time setting position when the seconds Hand is at 12(if your movement hacks), set the time and push it in synchronizing it with a quarter watch or your smartphone. 

Don't forget to screw down the Crown if it has one.... To do this, push down gently, turn the Crown counterclockwise until you feel a tiny click, then turn clockwise while pushing to screw it down...This kind of method protects the threads from stripping. 

That's about it!

:D

BigJK
15 hours ago, Nikosaldente said:

When you pick up your mechanical watch after sitting in your Watch Box for some time.....

Pull the Crown (2 clicks) to time setting position and advance the time so you can see when the date flips over...That's midnight!

Push the Crown (1 click) to quick date setting position and now you can change the date safely to the present day or the day before,  whatever you like.

According to your previous choice, pull the Crown again to the time setting position when the seconds Hand is at 12(if your movement hacks), set the time and push it in synchronizing it with a quarter watch or your smartphone. 

Don't forget to screw down the Crown if it has one.... To do this, push down gently, turn the Crown counterclockwise until you feel a tiny click, then turn clockwise while pushing to screw it down...This kind of method protects the threads from stripping. 

That's about it!

Really appreciate this! Thanks for this!

Enthusiast88
17 hours ago, Nikosaldente said:

That's about it!

Couldn’t have said it better.