Kyz

MKF SMPc 212.30.41.20.01.003

Kyz
The 2010 Seamaster Professional 300M (SMPc) was not a priority on my wishlist until relatively recently when the 2018 version got a couple of reviews saying it was a serious competitor to the Submariner at half the price. I have memories of looking at Bond’s watch 20 years ago and deciding that at £700 I’d stick with my Casio.  Re-watching those movies more recently they seem so cheesy, but Jason Bourne’s Aquaracer instead doesn’t appeal to me: he clearly doesn’t spend much time in business meetings.  Now the SMPc is an ‘entry level’ luxury diver (£2,100+) barely mentioned in Omega's catalog and my non-WIS colleagues have gold Rolexes, how did that happen?  I for one am a little jaded with oyster bracelets and mercedes hands and the SMPc offers a satisfying alternative: it is the most dressy diver I have come across but it can still (see Hodinkee) be used for scuba diving (maybe the rep with care and preparation but I can pass on that).

So why the 2010 version? It is one of only a couple of closed caseback Omega reps available with a reliable (or replaceable) ETA based movement. The LMPO is an obvious favorite but perhaps not as versatile.  The MKS rep is not considered ‘first class’ but the nine piece bracelet has received positive comments and issues like bezel inserts seem easier to address.

Enough waffle. I’m not an SMPc expert and I don’t have a gen to compare, but I’ll offer these pics so someone can ruin my enjoyment :-)

VJRW5Z.jpg

VJR3qQ.jpgVJRmMf.jpg

In the wrong light the engraving on the bezel is all too apparent.  Don't bother with a loupe but enjoy it for what it is.  The scalloping on the bezel is missing some fine chamfering.  Bezel action is good, with no back-play: I like the scalloping, it fits the dressy theme well and slides easily under a cuff.

VJR1zg.jpg

The stock clasp is compact, even with a dive extension.  Slightly longer adjustable clasps can be purchased from Omega for $100-$200.  Removing a half-link sized it close enough for me.

VJRJda.jpg

I've read the chamfering on the clasp is a little off but I really like the engraved caseback.

VJRU0y.jpg

VJRR5G.jpg

I like the simpler engraving on this generation clasps, less to go wrong.

VJRMfq.jpg

I wish I had known how the bracelet links are held together before I started, the tiny screws were a surprise.  The pin and collar arrangement of the previous generation were even worse, however.

VJnuvs.jpg

Anti-counterfitting mark, ha ha.

VJnEqh.jpg

That's it.  Not a perfect rep but the design has great wrist presence and the bracelet is really comfortable, balancing the head, which does not feel top heavy.  Now the 2018 SMPc is out I don't know if anyone will keep making these.  I'm interested to hear from anyone who has modded or substituted the bezel inlay on this model.  Cheers.

Glaude

Nice pics & review ! Thanks for sharing and taking the time :) 

Kyz

@k4jun did spongebob have any success with an insert mod?  I came across this on eBay, but I'm not sure it's any better.  I'm guessing it might be related to Sekaro.  VoMflK.jpg

k4jun
8 hours ago, Kyz said:

@k4jun did spongebob have any success with an insert mod?  I came across this on eBay, but I'm not sure it's any better.  I'm guessing it might be related to Sekaro.  VoMflK.jpg

^^^this is an aluminium insert, I wouldn't bother in spending any money on it as it will make your watch a fantasy model.

spongebob hasn't moved forward in this mod, I approached @ussdassein and he did a great job with V2 insert. He modded a ceramic and generously applied his platinum stuff. He nailed the colour and correct shine of the custom filling.

XMS0Q.jpg

4PAYd.jpg

XMOjs.jpg
Problem with V2 insert is in its deep engraving, you would need to apply a ton of the compgoung to achieve a flush surface.

Then, MKS released V3/V4 and this insert is much better - the engravings are shallow. We parked this project till we get one of those new inserts. I bet ussdassein mod on V3/V4 insert it all what we need to have a nice rep insert.

Nice write-up btw:thumbsup:

judas9r

I'm sold. 

qqraxtt

Me too. I ordered one and am waiting for QC! Excited!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk