Mendes458

23J movement

Mendes458

So I am looking at my next purchase.

http://www.trustytime.club/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43&products_id=19386

I was looking at the movement; it is a 23J. I do my usual and try to start research on everything about the watch. I remember the late Greg R wrote a brilliant post on rep movements, and the 23J is mentioned in it however not as much info as I wanted to feel satisfied so I went to search for more and nothing came up which is odd because I know that Greg posted about it.

VCi9Os.png

So I have been forced to ask the more experienced of you what the reputation of this movement is. It will be my new daily for a long time as I have decided to retire my last watch which has been in use for the last few years. So would you recommend it?

Any info would be appreciated

Kind Regards 

GenTLe

23j can mean nearly everything and Trusty is not famous for his precision when it comes to these details...

Unfortunately in this exact moment the site is down (I can't reach it neither from my ADSL nor from my 4G connection) so I can't really help. If tomorrow it will be up and there will be a decent pic of the movement I can tell you better what's that one.

Generally speaking they are Seiko derived clones with magic levers as autocharge and good reliability (i.e. that's the one in my JLC worldtimer or it was in my Ulysse Nardin marine one), but let's see the pics before.

Mendes458

I appreciate at help

GenTLe

Ok, now it's visible. Well it's the same movement in my JLC, like this: http://www.tb88.pw/index.php?route=product/product&path=92&product_id=1303 with a fake plate on top to mimic the Patek one.

Strong movement, don't worry about it, but treat it with the care deserved to mechanical watches (see this video below)

Cheers, Alex

Mendes458

I have watched that video before buying my first rep. I think it should be pinned on the new member's area.

The WatchFinder youtube channel has to be one of my favourite out there

Also thanks for the info I think it is confirmed to be my next buy.

blueoysterboy

That's a good looking timepiece, enjoy