bluewave

DOA Watch Back From China

bluewave

This is a continuation of this post https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/148123-feedback-from-horlogiste/&tab=comments#comment-2208222

I thought it would be mo betta to start a new thread...

First thanks for all the comments in the previous post

To  recap, I bought a DSD from Trusty Time in Dec. 2018  , watch  was DOA... Andrew was cool, told me to send back for repair. which I did  1st week Jan. 2019.   

I received my DSD back from Trusty Time on Friday April 12, today is April 14.  The watch at least was not DOA but it was SlowAF ;-) ....I synced the time to my iPhone and 24 hours later the watch is 40 minutes slow.  Synced a 2nd time and same result  20 minute +/- in 12 hours...  I knew the risks so I take some responsibility. However I hate to feel like I blew $500 usd... Some have suggested sending the watch to get repaired ... I have to wonder if that is throwing good money after bad...I've done a bit of research here on the forum about dealing with this FWIW, I would say probably the numbers are high regrading the amount of watches that are defective within a month or two, after all what should one expect? Let me answer my own question - For $500 , I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at the very least the watch would keep  time and be useable and last at least a while like a year... Or am I just having a Murphy's Law experience?

What I don 't understand is why don't the watchmakers like Noob, ARF etc simply put known reliable  movements like the  Sellita SW200  Or  ETA 2824-2  in these beautiful Rep watches?? I do not see the need to clone the movement, certainly the problems of doa and other functionality issue could be improved... just my $.02

https://picr.me/image/VU7weR

Edited by bluewave
new info\

Rx4Time

Honestly I look at it this way, I'm buying the case set primarily and when the movement craps out I just put a proper ETA movement in.  I usually budget this in my mind when I purchase a watch. I've got some that I've run for years without a problem, others crapped out within 6 months. Part of why the replica makers don't put genuine ETA movements in is they can't get hold of them in quantity sufficient to meet the number that they're producing, also you have to consider the pricing point.  Most clone movements that they're installing they're picking up for only a few dollars, so to add a genuine ETA movement they'd have to increase the price by at least $250 to break even with their current profit margin and compounding this is not as many people are going to be willing to spend 7 to 800 dollars for a replica

Adit

Sorry to hear this tale of woe. It makes for depressing reading.

Have you spoken to Andrew again? After all, this is "goods not fit for purpose" (even with this game) isn't it?

RussP

That's really unfortunate after spending $500.

I'd refer the matter to a moderator and keep my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

All the very best................and please update the thread with the outcome.

BadPickle

Some bad luck you having there pal, seems to me you got 2 options, either send it back again or try get it sorted locally. Either way you need to keep the dealer in the loop. There may be rep friendly watch repair guy in your area or there are a couple on the TD list in the “mods and more” section. 

Let us know how it pans out for you

BadPickle
1 minute ago, RussP said:

That's really unfortunate after spending $500.

I'd refer the matter to a moderator and keep my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

All the very best................and please update the thread with the outcome.

:rofl: you gonna get your ass kicked Russ, you can’t keep telling the noobs to contact the mods for every time something goes amiss,  all the mods will say is “you need to try work it out with a dealer first” 

that other nobhead @Badapple got a roasting for the very same 

Genius
5 hours ago, bluewave said:

This is a continuation of this post https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/148123-feedback-from-horlogiste/&tab=comments#comment-2208222

I thought it would be mo betta to start a new thread...

First thanks for all the comments in the previous post

To  recap, I bought a DSD from Trusty Time in Dec. 2018  , watch  was DOA... Andrew was cool, told me to send back for repair. which I did  1st week Jan. 2019.   

I received my DSD back from Trusty Time on Friday April 12, today is April 14.  The watch at least was not DOA but it was SlowAF ;-) ....I synced the time to my iPhone and 24 hours later the watch is 40 minutes slow.  Synced a 2nd time and same result  20 minute +/- in 12 hours...  I knew the risks so I take some responsibility. However I hate to feel like I blew $500 usd... Some have suggested sending the watch to get repaired ... I have to wonder if that is throwing good money after bad...I've done a bit of research here on the forum about dealing with this FWIW, I would say probably the numbers are high regrading the amount of watches that are defective within a month or two, after all what should one expect? Let me answer my own question - For $500 , I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at the very least the watch would keep  time and be useable and last at least a while like a year... Or am I just having a Murphy's Law experience?

What I don 't understand is why don't the watchmakers like Noob, ARF etc simply put known reliable  movements like the  Sellita SW200  Or  ETA 2824-2  in these beautiful Rep watches?? I do not see the need to clone the movement, certainly the problems of doa and other functionality issue could be improved... just my $.02

https://picr.me/image/VU7weR

You just been unlucky mate, I've found very little difference in reliability  between the Chinese clones and heir swiss made counterparts even an SW200 is an ETA clone it's just assembled in Switzerland instead of China but where the parts of the movement are actually manufactured for the SW200 is a source of debate on numerous watch fora.  I have bought a new stock seagull ST21 to fit in one of my watches and it runs as well as the Sellitas I have in my collection.

Given its running a bit slow have you tried giving it a good manual wind and see how it runs to try and rule out if it's not getting enough charge?  Maybe you aren't moving enough to charge it or maybe there's an issue in the autowind mechanism, both are relatively common issues and easy fixes.

Maybe the watch has got slightly magnetised and that is causing the issue?  There's iphone apps to test this and if it is the case a degausser is cheap.

FWIW I wouldn't bother sending a watch back to China, given the cost of postage and the lead times involved I'd rather try and get it fixed locally

RussP
1 hour ago, pickledbeetroot said:

:rofl: you gonna get your ass kicked Russ, you can’t keep telling the noobs to contact the mods for every time something goes amiss,  all the mods will say is “you need to try work it out with a dealer first” 

Thanks for the heads up, Stu.

One would think that the noob has already worked things out with the dealer by returning it to China the first time around.

For a $500 watch one would expect better quality than this....

ShovelnTC

Yep it's just a case of bad luck mate, I have never had a bad A2824, 2836 0r Myota 9015 out of around a dozen watches most that have been sold on after a year or two use and have at least 3 in my watchbox now that are from 2 to 4 years old with regular use and no issues.

Just the luck of the draw I'm afraid although having said that I rarely buy Reps that are over $300 for just this reason and haven't bought much lately as so many are now over the $500 mark, too much to take a gamble on really.

Bite the bullet and get a new movement fitted and don't be afraid of the clone ETAs.

BadApple
2 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Other? Not just me and you surely? 

GenTLe

In all this, you didn't (or at least I didn't see that) wrote which kind of movement there is inside that watch.

If it had a SH/SA3135 then there are replacement around but they aren't cheap, I have seen 100+$ for the SA on AliExpress and a bunch more for the SH.

If it has a clone ETA, then in general they are ok movements, the only two I had problems with turned out to be not clones but the so called "Swiss movement" that were sent to me by mistake (having me paid for standard Asian clones). THOSE ones are, with rare exceptions (like when they put in new Sellita's), crappy movements.

I suspect that what you got is some screw floating around the watch that caused it to stop in the first instance. Sending the watch back to China with something stuck in the airspring is nearly certain to have damaged it (as in no way normally you can have something like 40min/day deviation except for a badly mangled airspring).

A brand new Seagull clone is in pair with a standard Swiss Sellita or ETA and costs like what you paid to send it back...

I'd suggest you now to stop throwing money away, get in contact with a watch tech like either the Trusted ones or, if you're in EU, you can try kindly to ask to Rolie. If the movement is available he can swap it and you'll have a good piece again.

Otherwise sell the watch but you'll need to sell it as broken and this will mean at least 50% of its price... (And I may be interested to get it :p ).

Good luck!

bluewave

All good advice here thanks everyone...

Agree that I don't need the mod to intervene,  I can handle and I think I have a better idea of my options now...

When I sent the watch back, Ironically, I told Andrew that I wanted a different watch, as I suspected this one would never be 100%, my gut feeling was right on....

I just now gave it a solid wind about 75 turns and synced again to my iPhone... 1st time I did about 40...

I did indeed know it was SA3135  movement, I asked if I could get a swiss ETA , they said nada.    

[Admin Edit:  you are not eligible to sell and this is certainly not how you do it either.]

Edited by Del

GenTLe

This is the cheapest sa3135 I've found: € 129,96  43%OFF | 
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32969727166.html

Edited by GenTLe

Del
13 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

As usual, you're wrong. :facepalm:  A Mod could get involved with this if the member so wishes.  

@bluewave   If you want to discuss this with a Mod then please PM one of them.

BadPickle
1 minute ago, Del said:

As usual, you're wrong. :facepalm:  A Mod could get involved with this if the member so wishes.  

@bluewave   If you want to discuss this with a Mod then please PM one of them.

You’re not even a mod last time I could be bothered looking :ohwell: 

Del
2 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

You’re not even a mod last time I could be bothered looking :ohwell: 

True.  I'm Admin and am only responsible for running this place. Silly me.

Thanks for your comments once again, very helpful......

RussP

Your acerbic responses kill me, Del :clap:

vbastos
Yep it's just a case of bad luck mate, I have never had a bad A2824, 2836 0r Myota 9015 out of around a dozen watches most that have been sold on after a year or two use and have at least 3 in my watchbox now that are from 2 to 4 years old with regular use and no issues.
Just the luck of the draw I'm afraid although having said that I rarely buy Reps that are over $300 for just this reason and haven't bought much lately as so many are now over the $500 mark, too much to take a gamble on really.
Bite the bullet and get a new movement fitted and don't be afraid of the clone ETAs.

I think I had issues with almost my watches, but guess it’s my bad luck only lol

Not big issues, but needed to take the watches to the watchsmith (I had the luck to find a rep friendly).
Ironic is that the biggest issue was with the so called most reliable of all the movements… the A2824.
I have a PAM with 6497 almost DOA, because a small issue that made the seconds hand stop always on the same position (shafted crooked I think). Also my CRPO 8500 clone had issues when winding it and now it works flawless and winds like butter.
So… I guess it can happen with any movement. I bought last week a D-Blue with SH3135 and it’s running slow 1 minute and a half per day. I will have to take it to the watchsmith to regulate and I will take the opportunity to see if the movement is cleaned enough or has any issue and test waterproof for 50 and 100 meters.
It’s part of the game and it can happen with any movement. The ideal is having someone trustable that can service the watch whenever we need.