Mendes458

Is this normal??

Mendes458

So I got my watch back from Nick who did a full service on it. Took about three months. Always kept me up to date all around excellent service. 

However, I have had the watch a few days now, and I have noticed something strange. It is an Asian 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph movement, 28800bph. I wound it when I first received it wore it all day then went to bed and it had run out of power during the night. I had not done much but sit on a desk that day, so I thought I hadn't moved enough for it to gain enough power. However, yesterday being easter I took the dog for an extremely long walk where we were running and generally being active. Went to the pub and then bed only to find it was dead again when I woke up this morning. 

The strange thing is that I shook it and it started which tells me that the automatic winding is working (although I have just looked down at my wrist and seen it has stopped again, but I haven't wound it yet). 

This is my dilemma do I go back to Nick saying there is a problem. I don't remember this happening when I first bought the watch. However, I don't see what could have changed. All he did was take it apart fix it and clean it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, this is not a bad review of Nick and why I haven't posted it in his feedback as he has been brilliant and there would be no way for him to check this sort of thing unless you wear the watch for a few days. 

always kept me up to date all around good service. 

Foxindebox

It may be an issue with the reversing wheel in the automatic system. Does the rotor move when you manually wind it?

BadApple

Turn off the Chrono function so that seconds at 12 o'clock and fixed

Wind up the watch fully and leave.

See how long it lasts.

Running the chrono does hit the power reserve hard.  

Monkey_Business

Thing about the A7750's is that all sorts of unexplainable shit can happen to them. 

Check if it's better without chrono function active (like @Badapple says). If not, I'd contact Nick - He won't be accountable for the error, but I'm sure he's able to fix it. 

GenTLe
53 minutes ago, Foxindebox said:

It may be an issue with the reversing wheel in the automatic system. Does the rotor move when you manually wind it?

Also, does the rotor runs freely in both directions (=reversing wheel stuck open and autowind not working) or it runs freely in one direction but has some resistance rotating in the opposite direction (it should be this way)?

Mendes458
1 hour ago, Foxindebox said:

This may be the problem when I wind it and look at the back of the watch the rotor spins hard in an Anti-clockwise direction. Never noticed this as I would usually look at the front of the watch when winding and have it on an angle which would mean that it didn't spin as hard. Big Thanks 

Any idea on what to do to move forward is this normal or do I message Nick. 

1 hour ago, Badapple said:

Running the chrono does hit the power reserve hard.  

Thanks for the idea Badapple but I was aware of the chrono feature being a drain so I checked when I first received the watch to make sure it was working and then never used it. It also tends to be the reason the whole movement goes wrong so I just never use it anyway. 

tonyh7

Is Nick still around, didn't I see a few posts saying he was hard to get hold of? I assume the watch wound ok from the rotor before the service? Sometimes reps don't as the factories screw it up when they decorate the movement and the rotor. If it did, you should def ask him to have a look at it.  

GingerApple

How many times do you wind it when the watch has stopped?

Mendes458
13 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotGingerBubba said:

How many times do you wind it when the watch has stopped?

I fully wound it in the morning and then wore it the whole day and it would stop sometime during the night

GingerApple

Back to Nick then I'd say.

Mendes458
33 minutes ago, tonyh7 said:

Is Nick still around, didn't I see a few posts saying he was hard to get hold of?

He is definitely still around. However, he is hard to get hold of. I sent him an email amount another watch a few days ago which he hasn't responded to. So it's a bit of a hit and miss. I think his emails send a lot to spam.

However, it is a bank holiday so he is probably not working

GenTLe
39 minutes ago, Mendes458 said:

This may be the problem when I wind it and look at the back of the watch the rotor spins hard in an Anti-clockwise direction. 

So you have reversing wheel stuck closed (the opposite of the problem I wrote in my reply). Nothing that a good bath of that wheel into proper solvent will not fix :)

Mendes458
55 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

So you have reversing wheel stuck closed (the opposite of the problem I wrote in my reply). Nothing that a good bath of that wheel into proper solvent will not fix :)

Good to know what is wrong with it. Thanks for the help.

I, however, do not have the expertise to put a screwdriver anywhere near a movement of this complexity so it will have to go back to Nick.

GenTLe
5 minutes ago, Mendes458 said:

I, however, do not have the expertise to put a screwdriver anywhere near a movement of this complexity so it will have to go back to Nick.

Wise choice: to reach the reversing wheel on a fully functional 7750 chrono you need to remove the automatic device bridge, which is a REAL pain in the ass to put back later (not so for the not chrono 7750s like those used in time/date only Panerai).

Just look at this: 

Mendes458
7 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Just look at this: 

Holy Titties that looks complicated.

It is a very good guide however for the more experienced hopefully in a few years I may get to that level.

Luckily for me, I sent an email to Nick an hour ago and he has replied and it looks like my watch is going on a journey again.

Thanks very much to everyone for there ideas 

The knowledge of the people on this forum never ceases to amaze me. 

Foxindebox
23 minutes ago, Mendes458 said:

Holy Titties that looks complicated.

It is a very good guide however for the more experienced hopefully in a few years I may get to that level.

Luckily for me, I sent an email to Nick an hour ago and he has replied and it looks like my watch is going on a journey again.

Thanks very much to everyone for there ideas 

The knowledge of the people on this forum never ceases to amaze me. 

:thumbsup2: