Scunt

Why I will ALWAYS use PayPal to buy reps from Trusted Dealers

Glaude
4 hours ago, Scunt said:

Looking at the response on this thread I can see it is a weird kind of problem with some ‘people’ on here to use PayPal.???????

This is the weirdest and nonsensical forum I have ever found on the internet.

Full of Scunts if you ask me.

i love the rep hobby but not this forum, it’s definitely got the worst kind of people  who give the rep game a very bad name.

Peace my weird Brothers and all the best in your chosen paths 

Looking at your response, you are either a troll or an idiot (note that you can be both!)

You've been explained why PayPal can be an issue for dealers and why most of them won't accept it from unknown users.
You've been shown that there are other ways of paying securely a TD (but yeah, on those methods it's harder to do a chargeback because you are nitpicking after receiving the watch)

We love our forum but we have a passion at making fun of people like you, those are the real ones that give the rep game a bad name !

So far, you're the only scunt in this topic (there's also a Ginger but that's another problem)

Jibuti

So you are leaving now, scunt?

How are we going to live w/o you... My heart breaks and am sure am not the only one. BenButton and Badapple are even more sensitive than me....

PS:

Glaude, GB is out of every category you might imagine (do not know is it good or bad but that is the way it is...)

trailboss99

It in threads like this I really miss Robert . . .

Jibuti
On 30/04/2019 at 12:23, trailboss99 said:

It in threads like this I really miss Robert . . .

PWC?

Yes...good old days....

black263
On 24/04/2019 at 09:32, Scunt said:

Who cares , PayPal or go elsewhere 

Please don't slam the door on your way out.

jp09

Citibank now offers a virtual CC number specifically for online purchases.  Different number for each purchase.  

Edited by jp09

Glaude
49 minutes ago, jp09 said:

Citibank now offers a virtual CC number specifically for online purchases.  Different number for each purchase.  

A lot of banks do that, but that won't change the various fees that can be charged per transaction via direct CC

maduro

Western Union is good too.

brang1

Is Scunt still around, starting to miss him

avilev995

that so true!

hard to find TD which accept paypal

gratefulcarl
On 24/04/2019 at 03:32, Scunt said:

Who cares , PayPal or go elsewhere 

Exactly right. And not Friends and Family. There are TDs that take paypal stick with them. 

Go_hawks

I fucking hate PayPal for a couple reasons. First and foremost, and the reason I started hating Paypig in the first place, is because of eBay. Back in the “good old days” of eBay, you could pay for whatever you were buying with whatever payment methods the seller wanted to accept. This included cash, USPS postal money orders, cashiers checks, hell you could probably pay with gold bullion, diamonds, live chickens or even trade the seller something you had for  what they were selling (I once traded a seller an amplifier for a pair of speakers). It was truly a free marketplace; sure, eBay charged a listing fee/or a fee based on the final value of the ending price of the auction, and that was fine and fair. They provided the forum in which to conduct your sale, and in return they got a small percentage of the final value of the sale (their “cut” if you will). Then in the early 2000’s (2002 I believe) eBay bought PayPal, and forced sellers to accept it. This not only provided eBay with their auction fee, but also provided them with a PayPal fee too. Ah, gotta love that double dipping huh? I’m surprised they weren’t investigated and had that practice shut down, especially since they were buying up all sorts of other auction sites like Kijiji, half.com and others, and creating a monopoly. 

Anyway, I wasn’t a fan of the turn of events, but there really wasn’t anything I could do about it back then, there really weren’t many other options, and eBay was the biggest marketplace for used (and often hard to find) goods, and apps like cash app and the like didn't exist, so I really had no recourse. It was either boycott eBay and not be able to get the things I needed/wanted, or bite the proverbial bullet, so I went ahead and got used to the taste of lead, as I had decided to supplement my income with an eBay store. It was easier than getting a part time job, and it required very little time or effort. Of course this required me to accept PayPal, but they set me up with a PayPal account with a PayPal “credit card” where the funds from my sales were loaded on to, making it more or less a debit card for my eBay account. 

Business was good, I’d spend a couple hours a day finding things to list, listing them, and sending out the packages to the people who had “won” the auctions (which were just “buy it now” listings, I didn’t bother with listing things for people to bid on. They either payed what I wanted, or they didn’t get it, I knew what I paid, and wasn’t going to take a loss). This went on for about a year and a half, and while I wasn’t getting rich by any means, it was easy money, and it gave me some extra spending money, paid for a couple vacations (nothing extravagant, but it was nice to be able to visit friends and family for “free”, after all it was done in my “free time”, so I probably would have just been watching tv lol).

Then one day everything changed, and I’ve hated PayPal and eBay ever since. I had been selling on eBay for about a year and a half, selling roughly 10-20 items a week, and had a perfect sales record. I shipped everything by USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation, and had never had a pack lost, nor a pack received or mailed late. 18 months of between 10 and 20 transactions (so let’s call it 15) per week, that’s approximately 1150 (rounding down) transactions over that time span, and then it happened, someone complained that they hadn’t received their package. Now I wasn’t worried, I shipped priority mail (which included insurance) with delivery confirmation (so I would know for sure it was delivered), and I had a perfect record. It was a holiday weekend (not a major holiday like Christmas, just some bs “bank holiday” like Presidents’ Day or some crap. The kicker was the person who ordered from me lived on Oahu, in the Hawaiian islands. Sure, I advertised that priority shipping generally took 2-3 days, and it had been 5, but it was a HOLIDAY, and they lived in HAWAII!! 

Because this person complained, eBay/PayPal froze my account, and I was told I would be unable to access my funds (which had come from hundreds of successfully completed listings) for 30 days. Here’s where it gets worse. The person complained the day after the bank holiday, a Tuesday, which was the morning of the “6th” day since I sent the package...I had sent it out Thursday evening, and it was Tuesday, so they felt Thursday and Tuesday both counted as days, even though I mailed it near the end of business on Thursday, and it was Tuesday morning and so the mail hadn’t gone out there yet. Mail isn’t delivered on Sunday or Monday if it’s a holiday, and you can’t count Thursday because I shipped it out at the end of the day (the order wasn’t even placed until 4pm CST, so it’s not like I was dilly dallying or anything) so it was really only 2 going on 3 business days! 

You want to know the kicker? The package arrived the same day they complained. PayPal and eBay didn’t lift my suspension, so I was completely screwed when it came to my eBay store. My business model was to reinvest the funds I made on eBay (that were put into my PayPal account, they give you a PayPal visa or MasterCard, I forget which. I still have it as a reminder not to use them, so I can go look if someone really wants to know lol) by buying more goods and listing them, take those profits and do the same, lather rinse repeat as they say. Well without access to over $7000 of MY MONEY, money I had earned honestly, and with eBay/PayPig giving me the middle finger because some jerk on an island over 4000 miles away from me complained that they ordered something Thursday afternoon and received it the following Tuesday afternoon, I had no way to continue my business without dipping into my own money for the next 30 days, which I wasn’t going to do, so I cancelled all my listings, fulfilled the couple listings that had been finalized in the interim with my own money (I wasn’t going to screw my customers just because eBay and PayPal were being assholes), and as soon as the 30 day suspension was lifted I withdrew all of the money and shut down my account and eBay store. I also lost around a thousand dollars in products I had purchased that I had purchased to sell on eBay, but after the way I was treated I decided to just donate them to Goodwill. At least I got a tax write off. 

I no longer use eBay unless it’s my only option, having exhausted every other option, and even then it has to be something I really NEED, not just something I’d like or want. I (very reluctantly) got another PayPal account because most people here (or on the “sister sites”, RWI, RG) don’t seem to want to accept cash app, Venmo, BTC, or other forms of payment, not even cash. You’d think I’d be the one at risk by offering to send cash, but no one seems to want it, so I’m stuck using a service I hate. I don’t hold it against the sellers of the watches id like to buy, it’s not their fault I got screwed! If anything, I’d like PayPal to be shut down for good, and a more ethical company to move into its place. Granted, if that idiot in Hawaii hadn’t been so impatient, I probably wouldn’t view PayPal as unfavorably as I do, but I still dislike the whole eBay/PayPal “double dipping” thing. 

If you take a few minutes out of your day and read the Wikipedia page about PayPal, especially the section on “Criticism”, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal (along with the “sister” article, “Criticism of eBay”  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_eBay

I think many of you will have a slightly less favorable view of PayPal and eBay  than you had in the past.  The only reason I have a PayPal account at all is for this site (and sister sites), if I wasn’t into watches, I wouldn’t have one at all, and I’d rather use a credit card or other payment form with a TD than PayPal, to the point that if 2 different TD’s have the same watch, and one offers it slightly cheaper but only takes PayPal, I’ll pay more at the other TD to avoid giving PayPal my business. 

That said, I understand why you guys (and girls too) like PayPal, and I’ve never had a bad transaction on any of the sites. I have met a couple people in person and paid them in cash, but I understand why most of you want to accept PayPal, and I certainly don’t hold it against anyone. There are other payment methods out there that are just as safe though, hopefully they will catch on and maybe one day PayPal will be a thing of the past. It’s probably wishful thinking on my part, but I like to remain hopeful that corrupt companies will be replaced with good companies. Maybe it’s naive of me, but it would be nice.  

Jibuti

Prikaži izvorno sliko

• Like 4

tribefan

If your "business" relies on someone else's platform, you don't have much of a business. All these dopes that quit their jobs to be Youtubers are going to be all up in arms and crying the blues after google is through screwing them out of every cent they can muster.

gratefulcarl
If your "business" relies on someone else's platform, you don't have much of a business. All these dopes that quit their jobs to be Youtubers are going to be all up in arms and crying the blues after google is through screwing them out of every cent they can muster.
I think you are overstating whatever point you are making. Most businesses rely on third parties think banks, credit card processors, the internet, your ISP provider, etc without any issue.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

tribefan
12 minutes ago, gratefulcarl said:

I think you are overstating whatever point you are making. Most businesses rely on third parties think banks, credit card processors, the internet, your ISP provider, etc without any issue.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Yeah, yeah fair. I was reacting to the ebay/paypal shut my business down for 30 days. That is the risk you take when you are solely dependent on someone else's platform. Some exec at ebay or amazon can wake up one morning and change the terms of service and shut you down, and they do, all the time. Which is different than having multiple payment channels or service providers.

Go_hawks
9 hours ago, Jibuti said:

Prikaži izvorno sliko

Beating a dead horse is much more humane than beating a live one! Actually, in certain parts of the world (such as France) it’s called tenderizing! Horse meat is actually delicious, and I do like it nice and tender! 

• Like 1

Go_hawks
2 hours ago, tribefan said:

Yeah, yeah fair. I was reacting to the ebay/paypal shut my business down for 30 days. That is the risk you take when you are solely dependent on someone else's platform. Some exec at ebay or amazon can wake up one morning and change the terms of service and shut you down, and they do, all the time. Which is different than having multiple payment channels or service providers.

They shut me down bc someone bitched bc her order took 6 days to travel 4000+ miles over a holiday weekend, and she still received it in 3 business days. What pissed me off is that after I provided proof of everything, they still screwed me over. I learned my lesson though, I don’t use eBay, I don’t use PayPal (unless it’s a M2M sale and they don’t like other payment methods), and cash is always best. 

ssouthall6
Most of what you said isn't even true...
Before I continue : I don't say you can't have problems with other payment method but,
Western Union, Transferwise, bitcoin, wire transfer... to name a few other secure method that don't rely on the TDs ability to secure his website...
Paypal is a risky business for TD, chargeback happen, account with funds get closed etc... most of them won't accept it from new members and they are right to do so !

I have to say I hate it when m2m insist on PayPal. I'd rather delete the app altogether. Transferwise, Curve, Revolut, Venmo, BTC, XMR, so many ways of transferring money now...but we choose the one that rips us off the most?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glaude
24 minutes ago, ssouthall6 said:

I have to say I hate it when m2m insist on PayPal. I'd rather delete the app altogether. Transferwise, Curve, Revolut, Venmo, BTC, XMR, so many ways of transferring money now...but we choose the one that rips us off the most?!

Plus Paypal is risky whatever option you choose with it, people tend to think that a Friends & Family can't be charged back and it's a big mistake because it can easily be done !

But I guess in the mutual exchange of faith that M2M is, Paypal is the one that offer both side some fake sense of protection, I'd rather buy from someone with a good reputation, the payment method is not an issue anymore in that case

• Like 1

ssouthall6
Plus Paypal is risky whatever option you choose with it, people tend to think that a Friends & Family can't be charged back and it's a big mistake because it can easily be done !
But I guess in the mutual exchange of faith that M2M is, Paypal is the one that offer both side some fake sense of protection, I'd rather buy from someone with a good reputation, the payment method is not an issue anymore in that case

Same. I get a feel for the buyer then make a decision. I guess Ppg is useful in that sense where you can take a risk on unknown quantities. Everyone has to start somewhere I guess

Glaude
3 minutes ago, ssouthall6 said:

Same. I get a feel for the buyer then make a decision. I guess Ppg is useful in that sense where you can take a risk on unknown quantities. Everyone has to start somewhere I guess

You should see the amount of people submitting HD ticket because they got ripped off by solding PayPal F&F to a guy with 4 posts ... Sometime for very high value sale :facepalm:

• Like 1

SCShrek
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

You really just need to trust who you are selling/buying to as well. If you dont "know" the person or if the buyer/seller doesnt have any reviews, ask for someone on here to vouch for him or her. You will usually end up with someone who can. If not, move on to the next. This forum is about watches but you also get to virtually know people. Long standing members probably would not buy/sell from some new user that just popped in, too risky and kind of dodgy even if the new guy was legit. You wouldnt buy or sell to some guy you met walking down the street so why do it here.

If you are a new guy, you will need to participate so other members get a good vibe from you before you try to buy or sell... especially sell. Just my opinion...if it's wrong, I blame the ogre... :shrek:

Intresting

PayPal favours the buyer.  The seller bears the risk of losing their money after they send their goods for almost any reason.    WU, Transferwise and other payments means the buyer bears the risk that they may not get what they paid for.   This is the reason why a forum like this exists to foster mutual trust,  Trusted Dealers as well as for trustworthy buyers and sellers to meet on M2M.   
Unfortunately, there are many who come here only when the proverbial crap hits the fan.  Hence you see complaints from the very first post.   Its just a wee bit late then.

• Like 1

ssouthall6
You should see the amount of people submitting HD ticket because they got ripped off by solding PayPal F&F to a guy with 4 posts ... Sometime for very high value sale :facepalm:

I can imagine.

It's a gift and a curse that I work in security...the buyer doesn't realise it but they're getting screened when they purchase from me. Any red flags = see you later!