vozax

Airport security and reps

vozax

I am curious if any of you had an unusual experience that would like to share regarding reps and airport security ... Dos and don'ts.

I am about to take a trip and taking my rep for the first time through airport security. I never had a problem before with my gen Omega (no one asked any questions) so I am not expecting now.

What is your experience? 

BlackjackWQ

As someone who travels often for work let me sum it up really quickly.

They're looking for bombs and dangerous things, not the watch you have on your wrist. Honestly airport security could give less of a fuck, its not their job to determine if the watch someone is wearing is real or fake... 

Now... coming back from Thailand with 50 fake rolexes in your bag is a different story but still.

fatarms

My take is exactly the same as the post above.  Been thru security many times with reps on the wrist.

In case you were referring to airport security wearing reps such as Richard Mille, I call bullshit.  They don't make that much money.  Safe to say it's a rep.

Jasonbaylee

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vozax
6 minutes ago, fatarms said:

My take is exactly the same as the post above.  Been thru security many times with reps on the wrist.

In case you were referring to airport security wearing reps such as Richard Mille, I call bullshit.  They don't make that much money.  Safe to say it's a rep.

I was not referring to airport security wearing one. 

fatarms

c7XfrKx.gif

vozax
23 minutes ago, BlackjackWQ said:

As someone who travels often for work let me sum it up really quickly.

They're looking for bombs and dangerous things, not the watch you have on your wrist. Honestly airport security could give less of a fuck, its not their job to determine if the watch someone is wearing is real or fake... 

Now... coming back from Thailand with 50 fake rolexes in your bag is a different story but still.

Reason for asking, I witnessed Heathrow security asking questions about LV bag. Don't know what happened but it was a little bit strange.

fatarms

The bag may make sense, it has the LV logo all over it, so it's easy to recognize as a luxury item.  Unless you're wearing a Rolex, Omega or maybe a Panerai, the average airport security guy isn't going to have a clue if it's valuable or not (as a gen.)  LV bags with that logo all over the place scream luxury item, so they may scrutinize that a little more carefully.  The watches usually go into a bin, and look the same as a Seiko when they go through the xray.  There's really only one person watching a screen for that stuff, whereas there are multiple eyes on bags and things that can be used to bring contraband on plane.

Watch_Fox

I wouldn't worry about security.  Customs might be another matter.  I have never had them pay much attention to what I am wearing, but a bunch of watches in your bags might get their attention.

vozax
2 minutes ago, fatarms said:

The bag may make sense, it has the LV logo all over it, so it's easy to recognize as a luxury item.  Unless you're wearing a Rolex, Omega or maybe a Panerai, the average airport security guy isn't going to have a clue if it's valuable or not (as a gen.)  LV bags with that logo all over the place scream luxury item, so they may scrutinize that a little more carefully.  The watches usually go into a bin, and look the same as a Seiko when they go through the xray.  There's really only one person watching a screen for that stuff, whereas there are multiple eyes on bags and things that can be used to bring contraband on plane.

Makes sense,  goes in the bin and through the x-ray, no one gives a $hit.  :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Watch_Fox said:

I wouldn't worry about security.  Customs might be another matter.  I have never had them pay much attention to what I am wearing, but a bunch of watches in your bags might get their attention.

:thumbsup:

RussP

Nobody really cares about what watch a traveller wears.

You may have a customs officer inquire about your watch if he/she is a fan, but otherwise you have nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your trip.

alanArgon

It is not wrong to wear a Rep, you have consumer rights... moreover who is to proof that one had bought a Rep knowingly... As such no TSA personnel is on the look out for replicas be it watch or bags. TSA doesn't give a damn about the number of stitches or pattern alignment on your rep LVs or the SEL or cyclop maginifcation of your rep Noobs/ZFs/ARFs/JFs/etc. 

Disclaimer: Provided you are wearing it or carrying it (for bags). If you have your rep packed in a rep box complete with a rep paper bag and rep-receipt and strutting along airport boulecard... then you are screaming for the officers to screen your purchase to enforce VAT in your country...

I have asked a forum member how he travels with so many reps (and all high end ones) - looking from his posts in a country he was touring... that can be dangerous because if you hand carry it... the Xrays will pick it up - and again it is not the rep experts looking to nail  rep-lovers... but CUSTOMS/TAXES thinking you are a whole-seller and reseller for profit. And if you pack them in your check-in and on the way out is stopped at customs... and you have more than 3 reps... excluding the one you are wearing... then GOOD LUCK! they better have scratches, patinas (lol Bronzo may work) and old straps on... otherwise, one may be hauled up for questioning... for the same reasons as above!

Edited by alanArgon

alanArgon

However, I had noticed when I travel, thos ewho screen another watch very closely usually wears a REP.... lol

vozax
3 hours ago, alanArgon said:

It is not wrong to wear a Rep, you have consumer rights... moreover who is to proof that one had bought a Rep knowingly... As such no TSA personnel is on the look out for replicas be it watch or bags. TSA doesn't give a damn about the number of stitches or pattern alignment on your rep LVs or the SEL or cyclop maginifcation of your rep Noobs/ZFs/ARFs/JFs/etc. 

Disclaimer: Provided you are wearing it or carrying it (for bags). If you have your rep packed in a rep box complete with a rep paper bag and rep-receipt and strutting along airport boulecard... then you are screaming for the officers to screen your purchase to enforce VAT in your country...

I have asked a forum member how he travels with so many reps (and all high end ones) - looking from his posts in a country he was touring... that can be dangerous because if you hand carry it... the Xrays will pick it up - and again it is not the rep experts looking to nail  rep-lovers... but CUSTOMS/TAXES thinking you are a whole-seller and reseller for profit. And if you pack them in your check-in and on the way out is stopped at customs... and you have more than 3 reps... excluding the one you are wearing... then GOOD LUCK! they better have scratches, patinas (lol Bronzo may work) and old straps on... otherwise, one may be hauled up for questioning... for the same reasons as above!

Very true, in most countries they are only looking to enforce the tax. 

However, I had noticed when I travel, thos ewho screen another watch very closely usually wears a REP.... lol

:thumbsup2:

3 hours ago, RussP said:

Nobody really cares about what watch a traveller wears.

You may have a customs officer inquire about your watch if he/she is a fan, but otherwise you have nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your trip.

I hope I will enjoy it as much as possible ... Thanks!

GenTLe

It's normal: average people don't give a fuck about watches, but if someone got a rep means in general they are some kind of interested into the world of watches :)

alanArgon
38 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

It's normal: average people don't give a fuck about watches, but if someone got a rep means in general they are some kind of interested into the world of watches :)

I know right!!!!! that makes us... scrutinising all details... lol I could even tell my fren with gen intricate details on their watches that makes it a really work of skill and art (in my thought bubble it reads: "Bloody hard to replicate...")

Edited by alanArgon

JohnG

Security is not customs, but regardless, I wouldn't worry about either. 

Genius

I once had a comment about my rep V6 sub going through airport security as u took it off the guy spotted it, said something along the lines of: nice watch Rolex right? Just keep an eye as it goes through" think they maybe had thefts before the way he said it but remember thinking you would have to be really fucking ballsy to try and steal a watch right in front of all that security and cameras. But maybe he was making a joke that he'd have it if I forgot to pick it up :rofl:

Chiquita Fanjita

I took three watches with me in my hand luggage when I went on holiday last year and never had an issue.  I was wearing a Daytona and had a Sub, an IWC and the wifes DateJust in a travel watchbox in my bag.  This was from UK to Spain.  I plan to do the same this year and hope the Italian security have the same attitude as the Spanish and UK security.  @GenTLe please tell me Italian security don't give a shit :lol: 

GenTLe
6 minutes ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

I took three watches with me in my hand luggage when I went on holiday last year and never had an issue.  I was wearing a Daytona and had a Sub, an IWC and the wifes DateJust in a travel watchbox in my bag.  This was from UK to Spain.  I plan to do the same this year and hope the Italian security have the same attitude as the Spanish and UK security.  @GenTLe please tell me Italian security don't give a shit :lol: 

Yeah, they don't care until you've too many (and packed like a new rep) with you.

See: https://translate.google.it/translate?hl=it&tab=wT&sl=it&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Ftorino.repubblica.it%2Fcronaca%2F2015%2F11%2F16%2Fnews%2Fall_aeroporto_con_75_orologi_falsi_addosso_sono_un_collezionista_di_falsi_-127519458%2F (Patacche is a slang for "fake") :)

Oh, and in case you need some suggestion for moving around here, let me know and I'll be glad to help :)

Chiquita Fanjita
2 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Yeah, they don't care until you've too many (and packed like a new rep) with you.

See: https://translate.google.it/translate?hl=it&tab=wT&sl=it&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Ftorino.repubblica.it%2Fcronaca%2F2015%2F11%2F16%2Fnews%2Fall_aeroporto_con_75_orologi_falsi_addosso_sono_un_collezionista_di_falsi_-127519458%2F (Patacche is a slang for "fake") :)

Oh, and in case you need some suggestion for moving around here, let me know and I'll be glad to help :)

I won't try and take 75 watches with me :lol: That is just crazy trying to get them all through at once.

I'll likely have less this year, just a couple of Subs and my wife will have her DateJust and Chanel J12.  We could actually probably wear one on each wrist rather than packing them in my bag I suppose. 

We're on another cruise mate.  We did Naples, Rome, Florence and Pisa last year while in Italy and this year we fly to Genoa and sail to Naples again and Messina before going to Malta, Spain and France then back to Genoa.  Have got the feel for Naples now, and think will take a visit to Pompeii this year and also try a restaurant near the port that is meant to serve amazing pizza :D  Don't know much about Messina though.

GenTLe
29 minutes ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

I won't try and take 75 watches with me :lol: That is just crazy trying to get them all through at once.

I'll likely have less this year, just a couple of Subs and my wife will have her DateJust and Chanel J12.  We could actually probably wear one on each wrist rather than packing them in my bag I suppose. 

We're on another cruise mate.  We did Naples, Rome, Florence and Pisa last year while in Italy and this year we fly to Genoa and sail to Naples again and Messina before going to Malta, Spain and France then back to Genoa.  Have got the feel for Naples now, and think will take a visit to Pompeii this year and also try a restaurant near the port that is meant to serve amazing pizza :D  Don't know much about Messina though.

Oh, then in Genoa try the "Focaccia di recco", it's a kind of pizza but made only with a special soft cheese, delicious:

focaccia-recco-4273.660x368.jpg

In Genoa, if it's dark, avoid to go into the small alleys (named Caruggi) around Bre street. In the night they can be a bit dangerous:

quartiere-dei-caruggi.jpg

And, in Messina, don't miss the cathedral (best just before midday) and, for breakfast, the "brioche con granita di mandorle" which is a kind of ice cream made of ice and almonds served with a special croissant, again it's delicious:

brioche-con-granita-di.jpg

Also in the south, whatever you get is awesome... Especially fish. Best bet is ask them "what's the typical dish here?" and order that one. For instance "pasta con le sarde":

Pasta-con-le-sarde1-1600x800.jpg

And so now I'm fuckin' HUNGRYYYY!!!!!!

Nikosaldente
13 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Now I'm fucking Hungry too.......!!!!

:drool:

GingerApple
20 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

You're not the only one, you bugger!!!!

I'd literally kill for some good Italian pasta right now, MASSIVE YUMMERS!!!!!

Chiquita Fanjita

@GenTLe you've got me hungry now :drool:

Thanks for the info mate, that Focaccia di recco looks amazing!!  Unfortunately though we'll just be from the airport to the ship and from the ship back to the airport in Genoa so won't really have any time to explore.  Those alleys look a lot like the ones in Florence.  I will definitely be trying the brioche con granita di mandorle in Messina.  That looks fantastic!  When I was in Rome I had the best pizza I've ever had, but heard Naples serves the best pizza in the world, so definitely going to try it there this year, along with a lot of affogato :D 

There were a lot of people touting for tours and trying to sell you crap in Naples, and also beggars demanding money in Florence and Rome, in fact I had an argument with one guy (not Italian) outside the Pantheon trying to make my wife get her purse out for money - in front of the police too!!