tony06200

Shooting or hunting with mecanical watch ?

tony06200

Hello,

I practice recreational shooting with guns, so sometime ago one of my watch stop working when i came back from the shooting range.

The movement was broken, the balance spring was in total mess!

I don't know if it just was his dead time since it was a 5 years old A21j or maybe the vibration wich cause this issue?

What is your experience?

Edited by tony06200

blueoysterboy

This is a good question, I hadn't given it any thought but I should.  I shoot in a skeet league on Sundays, and I hunt although no turkeys or ducks this year.  I generally wear a beater Casio quartz in the woods and at the range.  Maybe I should continue with that practice.

tony06200

On the other hand many  people wear gen at the range and I never had any problem with my Vostok...

hanski
1 hour ago, tony06200 said:

Hello,

I practice recreational shooting with guns, so sometime ago one of my watch stop working when i came back from the shooting range.

The movement was broken, the balance spring was in total mess!

I don't know if it just was his dead time since it was a 5 years old A21j or maybe the vibration wich cause this issue?

What is your experience?

Technically speaking, anything that provides a shock to a mechanical movement is risky. So practicing with your guns comes with the risk of damaging the movement.

That said, mechanical watches are a strange breed. It doesn't seem to be that any shock will damage it but just the right shock, at the right angle, at the right time will damage it. I've worn my mechanical watches swimming, biking, heavy construction, heavy demolition, martial arts, and just day-to-day. After years, no issues (knock on wood). I've read similar experiences. But I've heard a lot of anecdotes about how some simple bump or drop on the floor as completely destroyed a watch. 

I'd say wear the watch you enjoy. Especially with things containing an A21j, it's a cheap replacement if it breaks. 

tony06200

Thanks maybe it was just his time to die...I 've replaced the movement yet but I was in trouble to find the right movement since it was a fake chrono Daytona with sec @ 6 .

I have another wich is the worth quality available (canal street fake like)possible then the watch hit floor everything was broken glass felt apart  bezel too many dentson the case, but it is still working...

G_sus

Just sounds like an excuse to be able to go get a G-Shock :)

Theviking

Id say the likely cause was shooting, the impulse from firing a gun can be huge (especially on large cailbres or shotguns).  As @G_sus suggested, a G-Shock is the way to go.

tony06200

I'll go to the G Shock, I've got one I use for work doing mechanic or jet skiing