Furryhobnob

Addiction when new.

Furryhobnob

Morning guys, now I imagine I'm not the only one to go mad buying watches when they first find RWG or similiar?!

The question is how mad did you go when you first started and when do you have enough watches?!

I've been here a few weeks now and started off with a spares or repair omega from V6F, it was more a dip of the toe to see what the quality was like as I hadn't held a rep watch before. I sent that off to rolie and a new hairspring later I had my first rep watch that was working, oh my I was in love, its beautiful and very well built.

Now before I bought one from here I had ordered an aqua terra from the gate for less than £100, my expectations weren't high for it, when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised, not as good as the planet ocean I had bought spares and repair, but for the price it's ok.

I then bought a quartz omega moonwatch on the M2M here, one because it was cheap at 90 euros and 2 because of the correct subdial spacing. It's a beautiful watch and one I'm looking to upgrade from the quartz in the near future.

These 3 purchases were enough for me to finally push the button with a TD but I wanted something different than an omega as that's all I had bought so far. So I started looking at IWC watches as I had seen a few on the M2M that I liked the look of. Started looking last night and ordered one I thought looked lovely, can't wait for the QC pics and for it to arrive.

All in all in a month I've spent around £550 which isn't alot of money for 4 watches truth be told. And even though I've now bought 4 watches I can't help but check on the M2M sales about 50 times a day!!

I've decided I'm going to not buy anything now for a few weeks, but if something comes up I like the look of then I know I'll find it hard to resist.

Anyhow a few pics below of the watches I've bought since I joined.

58ff28aaf48c7a5c558563803ca0b8e4.jpg267752241134b18f1967b8e49b33df5f.jpg0f1ff3a079507708ab670be1200e9588.jpg300e766c191b9841cba9c43593dc7526.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

elp

You never have enough watches, but you'll go through journeys - I bought / sold over 50 reps, bought a few microbrands, made my own for a while, bought some more expensive gens, now am looking at some reps again, etc. That's the fun part about this community.

Furryhobnob

That's what I'm worried about, enough is never enough, my nature is quite addictive anyway.
I can see this getting very expensive!
I know you said you've sold about 50 reps but how many did you have in your collection at its highest?

Oilguy

Good looking watches there...I'm new myself and just bought one so far.  It was a sub from a trusted dealer.  Got my eye on another one already and I've got a new bracelet on the way sorry the sub I bought. Here is mine.

VeXVOT.md.jpg

I really like the last 2 btw.

Furryhobnob
Good looking watches there...I'm new myself and just bought one so far.  It was a sub from a trusted dealer.  Got my eye on another one already and I've got a new bracelet on the way sorry the sub I bought. Here is mine.
VeXVOT.md.jpg

Nice sub, I don't know why but rolex watches don't appeal to me, which I'm happy about as there's so many to choose from, would cost me a fortune haha.

elp
4 minutes ago, Furryhobnob said:

That's what I'm worried about, enough is never enough, my nature is quite addictive anyway.
I can see this getting very expensive!
I know you said you've sold about 50 reps but how many did you have in your collection at its highest?

Close to 50 .... was a big set of sell-offs. 50 is not even that much for these parts. There's members with 300+ reps. Google @griffon22's collection to see the spree he went on in a matter of 6 months; not sure if inspirational or worthy of sectioning.

Furryhobnob
Close to 50 .... was a big set of sell-offs. 50 is not even that much for these parts. There's members with 300+ reps. Google [mention=65002]griffon22[/mention]'s collection to see the spree he went on in a matter of 6 months; not sure if inspirational or worthy of sectioning.
I'll see if I can find it, he sounds like he has a very addictive nature, 300 watches is mental, nearly 1 for every day of the year, I can see me getting to 20-30 quite easily.
I might have to adopt a 1 in 1 out policy at some point as the missus wouldn't be happy with me taking over the bedroom with watch boxes.
I bought a watch box with space for 10 watches that I've already filled, so need to order a bigger one already!

GingerApple

I'm around the fifty mark at the minute. Personally I went mental at first because there were so many watches I'd always wanted, but my buying habits have slowed massively as I've acquired my dream collection. I've also sold off about 10 or 15 in that time that just didn't do it for me in the flesh. I don't really want that many currently available reps. I really want a good, old style, Batman, but aside from that, I'm fairly happy with my collection and it's only likely to be newly designed watches, each year's Baselworld beauties for example, that will cause me to buy (not that I particularly liked ANY from this year).

I went down the route of buying high end reps rather than Gate stuff and as a result, the watches I have I think I'll mostly keep forever as they're very good versions of watches I've always liked. If the movements give up, I'll just throw a new movement in and crack on, but build quality wise and visually, they feel Gen to me.

I fucking love reps!!!! Enjoy the journey!

Furryhobnob
I'm around the fifty mark at the minute. Personally I went mental at first because there were so many watches I'd always wanted, but my buying habits have slowed massively as I've acquired my dream collection. I've also sold off about 10 or 15 in that time that just didn't do it for me in the flesh. I don't really want that many currently available reps. I really want a good, old style, Batman, but aside from that, I'm fairly happy with my collection and it's only likely to be newly designed watches, each year's Baselworld beauties for example, that will cause me to buy (not that I particularly liked ANY from this year).
I went down the route of buying high end reps rather than Gate stuff and as a result, the watches I have I think I'll mostly keep forever as they're very good versions of watches I've always liked. If the movements give up, I'll just throw a new movement in and crack on, but build quality wise and visually, they feel Gen to me.
Cheers pal, I can't see me getting rid of many either, I'll sell the moonwatch once I get a better version than the quartz, and the same with the gate aqua terra I bought.
I'll never sell the planet ocean as its beautiful and was my first rep, 50 seems a pretty high number but I can see how someone could easily get to that amount.
You "watch" this time next year I'll probably be posting that I've hit the 50 mark!
Plenty more reading to do in the meantime.

CollieWobbles

It can get out of hand quickly if you lose the run of yourself but it's a great fun :D

Furryhobnob
It can get out of hand quickly if you lose the run of yourself but it's a great fun
It's certainly fun...... I imagine once you have got a decent collection then the buying slows down, the missus wants to book a holiday and all I can think is that £2500 can buy me a fair few watches haha..... Not good.

Nikosaldente

Even though I try to sell a few watches to thin the herd from time to time,  I find myself having more watches incoming than out:bugeyes:

Furryhobnob
Even though I try to sell a few watches to thin the herd from time to time,  I find myself having more watches incoming than out:bugeyes:
How many have you got Nik?

blueoysterboy

I'm likely on the low end, I have 20-25 watches in my collection right now.  Opposite of GB, I bought a number of cheapies off DHgate and hence now have a number of watches that I just don't want to wear (or frankly own for that matter).  Some of these purchases are solid citizens however, and these make rather regular appearances in my rotation.  Right now I'm principally focused on gens, and my watch acquisition disorder (WAD) is waning quite a bit.  I do find myself plowing through TD websites or 'gate window shopping, but honestly, I'd only be buying a watch to replace one that I already have and like.  I think the fever has broken.

griffon22
4 hours ago, elp said:

Close to 50 .... was a big set of sell-offs. 50 is not even that much for these parts. There's members with 300+ reps. Google @griffon22's collection to see the spree he went on in a matter of 6 months; not sure if inspirational or worthy of sectioning.

definately sectioning, though in my defence ,a couple of them watches were from you , doubt I would have done it any other way ,it was great fun , and if anything , I miss a few of the watches I sold off later on , (I still have the Rolex "deep sea challenge") I got from you , but now my collection only amounts to just over a dozen or so . it was worth it ,there are some great members on RWG , who have bought from , and sold to me , helped and in general It has been a ball.

Edited by griffon22

elp

Guilty m'lud :lol:

Furryhobnob
definately sectioning, though in my defence ,a couple of them watches were from you , doubt I would have done it any other way ,it was great fun , and if anything , I miss a few of the watches I sold off later on , (I still have the Rolex "deep sea challenge") I got from you , but now my collection only amounts to just over a dozen or so . it was worth it ,there are some great members on RWG , who have bought from , and sold to me , helped and in general It has been a ball.
A dozen is better than the 60 plus you had haha, I did a little stalking of your posts earlier, you definitely went mental when you first started, looked like you had fun though.

SCShrek
6 hours ago, Gingercnut said:

My journey sounds like yours! I've been looking into mechanical watches for years owning a gen Tag and a couple of Omega's but when I found that I could have everything I wanted without selling a child, I was hooked. I started last Sept with the noob SA4130 Daytona  116506  from a TD expecting a rep to be crap but I was amazed at how good it looked and worked and was hooked. Since then I have gotten a Patek tourbillion, Cellini, IWC Portugieser, DJ2, Hulk sub, and a Breguet skeleton. Hell, in the past week I have 2 waiting on QC (Brooklyn Daytona and GMT pepsi), and 1 in the mail from a TD, a black sub, and 2 coming from Gate (AirKing and Milgauss).  I will interested in the DHGate ones . Got em both for under 100USD but I ran across an old post of @NCRich DHGate collection and saw that AirKing. Dammit!

So while I only have 12 reps and 3 gens, I'm not at crazy level but my wallet is hoping I dont find any more that I have to have. Is this what you meant by going mental? My girlfriend and kids think so...Every day now I get the question, "what new watch did you buy today?" 

watchnut

At one point I had about 100 split 60 40 rep & gen. Gave away 25 to family and friends and change in circumstances means I am now selling most of the collection, reps on here and the gens on Ebay and just hopefully will end up with a dozen or so of my very best. But I still look on the M2M section 20-30 times a day. Must say I do like the Omega Aqua Terra's though. Once this bug bites you're in it for life. 

Furryhobnob
At one point I had about 100 split 60 40 rep & gen. Gave away 25 to family and friends and change in circumstances means I am now selling most of the collection, reps on here and the gens on Ebay and just hopefully will end up with a dozen or so of my very best. But I still look on the M2M section 20-30 times a day. Must say I do like the Omega Aqua Terra's though. Once this bug bites you're in it for life. 
I really wanted your omega in your group shot on one of your for sale threads, and that tag in the M2M now is tempting me too, why are watches so addictive?!

Nikosaldente
3 hours ago, Furryhobnob said:

How many have you got Nik?

I have passed through many phases.....

I now have about 30, mostly high end reps and a few  gens that cost no more than a high end rep...

I have some Reps that cost more than my Gens :giggle: LoL

watchnut

I have to have special contents insurance for my collection, it's scary what some watches can be worth.

watchnut

Mind you it is of no use when you get burgled like I did by some druggy who then sells them on for his next fix. Somebody somewhere got some damn good watches for no money.........I think I'm starting to rant again!!!!

Furryhobnob
I have to have special contents insurance for my collection, it's scary what some watches can be worth.
I had a gen tag and put that on my contents insurance, was only £1200 though.
That's the most expensive watch I've bought, then a Christopher ward and a xeric.
That was basically my watch collection apart from a couple of citizens and a invicta until I found this place.

watchnut

My insurance claim was for £6500 less £500 excess, but lost about £1500 worth of reps that obviously wasn't covered.