Piloten

Review: Marc and Sons 300m Diver

Piloten

To follow up on my other post about my grating need for a countdown bezel, in this thread:

On 24/04/2019 at 14:41, Piloten said:

IN my quest for The Watch That I Want (today), I stumbled across this microbrand:

https://www.marcandsons.de/en/

Getting this one myself, I'll let you know

https://www.marcandsons.de/en/collection/countdown-bezel-models/marc-sons-diver-watch-series-sport-modding-countdown-bezel-msd-045-1c-s/a-2738/

I ordered the watch above.

269 Euro

25 Euro DHL shipping

24 Euro DHL extortion. I was able to pay this with paypal beforehand, so DHL is expending some effort to use lube before bending you over.

It arrived yesterday after two whole days. I paid on Friday after they were closed (8 hours behind in my time zone). It was gone Monday morning with tracking. I called DHL after it arrived and had it held at their Calgary depot.

It was superbly packaged, at least as well as many of us do it M2M, which is to say, bombproof

The first thing is the box.

VkQERA.jpg

A leather box on a 260 Euro watch . . .

Then the beauty inside, covered with yet another protective layer inside the box itself

VkQZ7T.jpg

On the wrist:

VkQWrQ.jpg

It's listed at 42mm without lugs or crown guard but wears smaller. The lugs curve down so it balances nicely on the wrist. The NH35 movement is silent. Pretty much has to be with all that steel and sapphire around it. It's listed at 224 grams and it is every bit of that.

The caseback is beveled in below the case seal and, to me anyway, unique with the tool holes:

VkQbwf.jpg

Here it is next to my Glycine KMU limited. The KMU is listed at 48mm and measures 49, for reference

VkQUns.jpg

Now, despite what certain poofy watch brands think,  . . . ahh, ahhh, AHHH, AAAAANOMOSCHOO, lume is pretty fucking important. The lume on this is clearly listed on the webpage, so it was not a surprise that is the somewhat weak blue:

VkQ1pX.jpg

Intensity-wise, it looks weak, compared to the limited edition KMU, which is itself pretty weak when compared to the standard edition KMU.

VkQJdp.jpg

In practice, it is quite legible and is indeed equally as readable as the KMU after sitting in the dark all night. In fact, barring tritium, the only watch I have that is better at the end of the night is my Prospex.

The bracelet, which mounts on standard spring bars, is a buffed matte stainless, equally as chunky and well made, with pins instead of screws.  I also can say this is only the second time I have had to snug a new bracelet down. Instead of buying extra links like some manufacturers force you to do,  it comes out of the box with plenty of room for a wet or dry suit on a normal homo sapiens.

In jarring contrast, the clasp, which is a standard foldover, feels thin and cheap. It works well and has a seven hole quick adjust but compared to the rest of the watch, it's like someone suddenly decided they needed to save money. My Ball clasp might fit . . . will see. I say again, it works fine in practice, just that when you've been admiring the fit and finish of the bracelet and case, it stands out.

All in all (to me, you can have your own opinion; you'd be wrong of course but c'est la vie):

Looks: 9/10.  The watch looks great but a 44 or 46 mm would probably look better on me. The sapphire, high contrast dial/hands and the thin ceramic countdown bezel are awesome

Fit and finish: 9/10. It looks great, feels great. The one way bezel has a tiny bit of reverse slop and the clasp could be better

Usability and Wearing: 10/10. It wears great. Lots of mass but it sits firm on the wrist. The high contrast setup and decent lume makes dark reading easy. Did you notice the bezel is equally lumed?

Timekeeping: Dunno yet, only got it yesterday

Value for Money: 10/10. The price --if you're not being raped by the VAT-- is incredible

Customer Service: 15/10: Communication, friendliness, patience, all fantastic, much better than you would find in any gen AD. The webpage literally lists every detail you could think of, right down to technical evaluation of the lume.

Would I recommend them? If you have a spare 300 euro, you might want a look at all their models. You won't be disappointed.

Besten Grusen,

-John

Jibuti

Nice review, John, thanks. And thumbs up for fact no damage done while using lube...

Faker

Funny how you have already tested customer service 1 day into ownership :P

She looks like a good daily beater for when you need some water resistance.  

How is the strap?  Long enough for your man hands?  Do they pull at your hairs?  

Edited by Faker

Piloten
9 minutes ago, Faker said:

Funny how you have already tested customer service 1 day into ownership :P  Shall we compare, to, say, Deep Blue?

She looks like a good daily beater for when you need some water resistance.  

How is the strap?  Long enough for your man hands?  Do they pull at your hairs?  " I also can say this is only the second time I have had to snug a new bracelet down. Instead of buying extra links like some manufacturers force you to do,  it comes out of the box with plenty of room for a wet or dry suit on a normal homo sapiens. "

The shape and polishing actually do not pull my hair out . .

GingerApple

Great review! Genuinely!

Finally, you've made a worthwhile contribution to the forum, congratulations.

Can I call on you and your essential countdown bezel the next time my little ones want a soft boiled egg?

Piloten

Yep, text me

GingerApple

People still text? Huh!

CollieWobbles
14 hours ago, Gingercnut said:

Great review! Genuinely!

Finally, you've made a worthwhile contribution to the forum, congratulations.

Can I call on you and your essential countdown bezel the next time my little ones want a soft boiled egg?

:rofl:

I like it and a good price point, thanks for sharing.

NCRich

Nice watch and review @Piloten

Jibuti
On 02/05/2019 at 21:47, Gingercnut said:

People still text? Huh!

What is "text"? 

brang1
7 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

What is "text"? 

I  think its from the Old Testament, or in the states, if you are reamed by an old Cowboy you are known as Tex't