PeterPepper

Help put a smile on a old man

PeterPepper

My grandfather turns 80 next month and he’s never had much money all his life but it’s been his dream to own a Rolex.

A couple of months ago I bought my first Rep (Noob V5 116613) before I really started looking into Reps. I showed him it and his face lit up and he said to me I am very lucky to have it. It’s something he’s always wanted but never been able to afford. I didn’t have the heart to tell him it was a rep. But Iv decided to surprise him with his own for his 80th.

Iv been looking for a watch for him, at first I was just going to buy him a blue submariner like mine but he’s never been a flashy type of person, then I thought maybe a yacht master but again I feel like I am picking watches that I would wear and not a 80 year old. Maybe a Datejust or black sub?

Is there any older aged members on here that could help recommend a watch for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Automotiveromance

Don’t gift someone a rep and not tell them it’s a rep. It could cause some awkward situations. What if it breaks and he decides to take it into the AD? 

Tell him yours is a rep and show him how good the reps are compared to gen, then give him his own. I would suggest an Oyster Perpetual or a Datejust smooth bezel.

RussP
PeterPepper
Don’t gift someone a rep and not tell them it’s a rep. It could cause some awkward situations. What if it breaks and he decides to take it into the AD? 
Tell him yours is a rep and show him how good the reps are compared to gen, then give him his own. I would suggest an Oyster Perpetual or a Datejust smooth bezel.

Funny you should say that, I did think what if something like that happened. But this is a man who rarely leaves the house maybe once a week to have few beers with his pals. I think I will probably tell him its a rep after I give him it. To be fair I think he might assume it’s a rep as who in the world has the money to buy two Rolex’s on the space of a few month. Thanks for your reply

GenTLe

Foto the model I agree with @Automotiveromance: either an oyster perpetual or a smooth bezel date just (in steel, no two tone or gold).

If he has normal wrists go for the 36mm ones. If he have big wrists then go for the datejust 2 (41mm) or the recent 40mm.

About telling him it's a rep... Well... I don't know, it is risky not to. Not just for the breakage (you can always tell him to give it back to you for the guarantee) but maybe because if you get 2 in a couple of months and you, with your work income, should not be able (or wise) to spend that amount, he could think you are into something not good/legal and it's worse than knowing to have a rep on the wrist :)

splke

Tell him ask him if he would like one. Then he can choose one he likes. The cellini is a classy choice for an old gimmer 

Jibuti
12 minutes ago, splke said:

Tell him ask him if he would like one. Then he can choose one he likes.

+1000

Jibuti
2 hours ago, PeterPepper said:

Is there any older aged members on here that could help recommend a watch for him.. 

Do not look at me, I am too old for Rollies anyway... :)

you can get him, for instance, this one... Gen, light, same price as good rep and with ETA:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/de/taucheruhren/ocean-1-black-aluminium-1229.ht

SteveA
GingerApple
2 hours ago, PeterPepper said:

Is there any older aged members on here that could help recommend a watch for him

@NCRich will help you out. 

elp
4 minutes ago, Gingercnut said:

I sense a name change coming along ....

Agreed with all the comments, don't give him a rep without telling him, and if you want to avoid awkwardness better to go down the Steinhart or similar homage route.

ShovelnTC

Setting the poor bloke up for a big disappointment if you tell him afterwards.

If he's been wanting a Rollie for all those years then I doubt he's going to be happy with a Rep.

Reps have been around for a loooooong time so I'm sure if that would have sufficed he would already have one.

As others have said, first tell him yours is a Rep and then he he shows interest then offer to get him one.

gooner2826

My dad was similar, bless the old geezer he thought reps were only accessible from the lucky lucky men on holiday and were of trash quality. 

Showed him my BP seamaster 300 and he fell in love, couldn't believe a rep could be of such high quality - especially for the price.

As such, I went to his with my laptop and let him chose his first rep for his birthday. Long story short, he's over the moon he's saved a fortune getting a BP no date sub over a gen one he was eyeing up! And he wears it with pride like it's a gen. Can't ask for much more surely..... That's always the aim of a present, for them to enjoy it 

deju
2 hours ago, OldRancidRed said:

You also qualify as an expert in this field. 

GingerApple
2 hours ago, deju said:

You also qualify as an expert in this field. 

Piss off. It was my birthday last week and I'm still feeling a bit fragile as a result. 41 sounded a lot better to be than 42!

deju
1 hour ago, OldRancidRed said:

Piss off. It was my birthday last week and I'm still feeling a bit fragile as a result. 41 sounded a lot better to be than 42!

That is the meaning of life 42 

Glaude
6 hours ago, OldRancidRed said:

:lmao: 

PeterPepper

Thanks guys for all your reply’s. I think I’m going to go for a 126300. Going to message a TD now.

Khronos

My recommendation would be the Explorer 1. My dad ( he's 70 ) says that it's much more legible than the sub or a Datejust. And the size is just right, big enough for a man's wrist and thin enough to slip under any sleeve. 

IMG-20180829-135845.jpg

His favorites in terms of legibility are my Seiko SKX007 and SBBN033 Tuna. 

IMG-20190101-125415.jpg

Steinharts are also great, a LOT of watch for the money! 

FoxWilde

Why don’t you buy him a 5500 Pool AirKing?

:D

Jibuti

Nice pictures A., thanks for posting... 

PeterPepper

I like your explorer. I’d like that for myself, maybe I’ll get a discount if I buy two . Iv messaged a couple of TD on the Datejust, they have come back with a few options but not exactly what I’m looking for. I’m looking for blue ARF DJ 126300 v2 A3235 movement. I think noob do something similar but from what I here ARF are the way forward

FoxWilde
3 minutes ago, PeterPepper said:

I like your explorer. I’d like that for myself, maybe I’ll get a discount if I buy two emoji1.png. Iv messaged a couple of TD on the Datejust, they have come back with a few options but not exactly what I’m looking for. I’m looking for blue ARF DJ 126300 v2 A3235 movement. I think noob do something similar but from what I here ARF are the way forward

IMHO A gift to a man like that outta be a gen.

ARF are awesome quality though.

PeterPepper
IMHO A gift to a man like that outta be a gen.
ARF are awesome quality though.

Your not the first person to say that but I don’t have that sort of money