Lurch

Operation advice please

Lurch

I have just got a Hublot Big Bang with the Asian 7750 valjoux movement, I have set time and date no probs but being a little green how do I set the three other dials to the correct position?. The bottom dial is sitting at 12 , the left one near 9 is moving round ( is that another second hand ) and 3 o’clock dial is moving slowly, not sure what these are, sorry to sound thick. Any advice appreciated please.

BadApple

Chances are one / two / three of the other dials are faux or false. Look at the description on the TD's website. The 7750 usually operates second start / stop / reset only. 

blueoysterboy

Yep, buy a gen if you want all the subdials to work.

splke

be careful if it is the movement you think it is press the top button at 2 once (they may need screwing down after or maybe not )

then press the bottom button at 4 once this should reset the hands 

one of the subdials is running secs the big sec hand should be at 12 oclock as it is the chrono hand.

Best not ever touch those 2 chrono buttons again ;o)

Lurch

Thanks great help cheers.

how do you give it a wind up  don’t want to break it .?

Edited by Lurch

Rx4Time

The 7750 is a high torque keyless, so best to not manually wind any more then necessary to get it going, then let the movement of your wrist charge it.  Can you post a link to what you bought so we can give pointed advice?  Typically, if the chronograph is not running, only the seconds at nine will be moving.  If the chronograph is running then the large seconds hand will be moving, the subdial at12 will advance every minute (it's a 30 minute counter) and the subdial at 6 will slowly advance over 12 hours.  The top pusher starts and stops the chronograph and the bottom resets.  Do no try to reset it while the chronograph is running and you are best to do the reset with the big chronograph hand close to 12 to avoid slippage....this can happen in gens also. 

GenTLe
1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I have just got a Hublot Big Bang with the Asian 7750 valjoux movement, I have set time and date no probs but being a little green how do I set the three other dials to the correct position?. The bottom dial is sitting at 12 , the left one near 9 is moving round ( is that another second hand ) and 3 o’clock dial is moving slowly, not sure what these are, sorry to sound thick. Any advice appreciated please.

I have the same watch.

The subdial at 9 is the "running seconds" and should run all the time. That one is the subdial indicating the seconds of the time passing by. The subdial at 6 is the chronograph 12h counter and should be always stopped if chronograph isn't engaged. The subdial at 3 are the chronograph minute conuter, and also should be always stopped unless the chronograph is engaged.

The hour and minute central hands are indicating the time.

The second central hand is the chronograph seconds. Again this should be always stopped at 12 if the chrono isn't engaged.

Do NOT let the watch run with chrono engaged. Start/Stop the chrono with the pusher at 2. If the chrono is stopped then you can reset it with the pusher at 4.

This is how the watch should look normally with chrono stopped and reset:

4328298gross.jpg?v=1

Lurch

Yep mines the same as that , the subdial at 3 is not at 30 position though everything else is same , how do you wind it  ?

GenTLe

Mate, "wind" referred to a watch, means to charge the mainspring.

If you want to know how to fix the chronograph minute counter, that's a different story. Most probably a tech will need to take the movement out, remove the little hand from the minute counter and put it back in the correct position.

splke

Give it a a gentle shake and wear it. Unscrew middle crown and wind it manually but be careful and only give it a few turns. 10 absolute max I would avoid doing it at all personally. Remember to push in the crown and tighten after winding or setting. Winding is position 1 date set position 2 time set position 3. Be gentle with it and it will last. 

Lurch
37 minutes ago, splke said:

Give it a a gentle shake and wear it. Unscrew middle crown and wind it manually but be careful and only give it a few turns. 10 absolute max I would avoid doing it at all personally. Remember to push in the crown and tighten after winding or setting. Winding is position 1 date set position 2 time set position 3. Be gentle with it and it will last. 

Great mate thanks for all your help appreciated as I have no idea what the hell im doing :D

GenTLe

Let me add something as you look a bit unknowledgeable about mechanical watches (no offense): Also, important, with mechanical watches avoid to regulate the time moving counterclockwise ESPECIALLY AROUND MIDNIGHT (midnight showing on the watch of course), always go forward. And finally if you have to regulate the day/date again always far from midnight, best it to have the hour hand in the lower part of the dial, like around 6 (regardless the movement is at 6am or 6pm). This both advises are to avoid to force on the mechanism that automatically change the day/date between 10pm and 2am.

Automotiveromance

Sound advice from @GenTLe as always. Heed this advice, as you don’t wanna break this movement. 

Lurch

Thanks guys.

SCShrek

Seems as if the A7750 is a rather fragile movement? At least the chrono seems to be and gentle was able to straighten me out one the bonus gears of the Daytona 7750...ugh.

GenTLe
Seems as if the A7750 is a rather fragile movement? At least the chrono seems to be and gentle was able to straighten me out one the bonus gears of the Daytona 7750...ugh.
Well, the unmodified ones are ok, but they are complex movements, I finished to service one last Sunday and it took me more than 8 hours in total (plus one full afternoon to fit the hands properly). Complexity adds fragility. Plus the Asian 7750 aren't lubricated at all (only the main train wheels have some kind of oil on their jewels) and this affects the reliability of the chronograph parts as many of them work with some drag one against the other parts. And finally the tolerances aren't in pair with the Swiss native ones.
Put all this together and you will see why even the standard unmodified a7750 should be treated with good care :)

SCShrek
48 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Well, the unmodified ones are ok, but they are complex movements, I finished to service one last Sunday and it took me more than 8 hours in total (plus one full afternoon to fit the hands properly). Complexity adds fragility. Plus the Asian 7750 aren't lubricated at all (only the main train wheels have some kind of oil on their jewels) and this affects the reliability of the chronograph parts as many of them work with some drag one against the other parts. And finally the tolerances aren't in pair with the Swiss native ones.
Put all this together and you will see why even the standard unmodified a7750 should be treated with good care :)

I have another chrono, an Omega Speedmaster, enroute with an OMF Lemania manual wind. Supposed to be better than the A7750. Trying to see if that a modded movement as well. The watch has seconds, hours and days at the 9, 6 and 3 respectively.

V9YuBK.jpg

Edited by gwbmcse

splke
5 hours ago, Lurch said:

Great mate thanks for all your help appreciated as I have no idea what the hell im doing :D

:thumbsup2:

GenTLe
I have another chrono, an Omega Speedmaster, enroute with an OMF Lemania manual wind. Supposed to be better than the A7750. Trying to see if that a modded movement as well. The watch has seconds, hours and days at the 9, 6 and 3 respectively.
V9YuBK.jpg

No that's standard, a variant (normally produced) with the hour replication at 6. Who can mod it to freeze the useless hand at 6 to make it more similar to the genuine watch, but both standard or with frozen hand are reliable