GingerApple

A step by step method to achieving greatness/immortality

GingerApple

So, I decided to buy a cheap Tudor sub that I could play around with and try and age a bit. I wanted cheapy cheap, but apparently cheapy cheap now comes with a more expensive, less correct movement, but what the hell, I bought it anyway.

It turned up like below. Notice the brand new, white pearl compared to the yellow markers because that becomes an issue later on.  The bezel insert was also horrible irl, very new and shiny looking, a lot more so than in this photo. All in all, a pretty horrible watch. 

VPch38.jpg

I had a look around for inspiration and found the watch below that I quite liked on Chrono 24.

VPcLEb.png

I decided to keep things simple and just make my bezel insert look a little less new with bleach, trying to get a slightly blue hint and that would be it, job done. I've previously had a nightmare with my only other attempt to bleach a bezel. I'd previously heated bleach in a microwave and inserted the bezel, only for ALL of the paint to immediately disappear leaving shiny, new steel. So this time, I took things slowly. I started with a heavily diluted mix of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water. I dipped the bezel and fuck all happened. I tried with progressively stronger solutions, but nothing. Eventually I progressed to neat bleach. This also did nothing. I then started rubbing the bezel with my finger whilst submerged in bleach and finally I started to see a tiny reaction. Five minutes of rubbing and I had what I was looking for, a slight inky blue/black hue, hard to capture in photos, but when the light hit it correctly, it was great. So that was it, pop the bezel back on, job done, pics as below. Much better, especially irl.

VPRuTa.jpg

So what I should have done was leave it there, I'd basically achieved what I was looking for and I liked it. Just stop GB, stop!

But no. Because although it doesn't look too bad in the pic above, the pearl was still shiny white and new, like the pic at the top of the page; it just looked silly.

So I looked online how to age a pearl and apparently you just bake it in the oven. Whack the oven on high, throw the whole insert in, 30-60 minutes later, out comes a nice, aged/yellow pearl. Simples!

You'll all be delighted to know that it didn't quite work that way.

After being baked for an hour, the pearl went slightly yellow. It does look a bit better, of that there is no doubt.

Sadly, and here's the kicker, the insert also changed slightly............

I now have a pink tropical insert.

Behold, the beauty of a GB Mod!!!! If anyone wants any modding done on their watches, just hit me up, my fees are very reasonable. Very.

VPRjaX.jpg
VPR7cf.jpg
VPRLop.jpg

Although I've already ordered a replacement insert, it's actually growing on me!!!! I might even keep it like it is, my piece unique!!!!

GB: Master Modder!

Logixa

Actually looks pretty good, fat ass. Good job.

Edited by Logixa

hasel5

I think that looks pretty cool 

GingerApple

Lol. Master modder by sheer fluke! 

k4jun

Fuck that inky blue! This brown looks just awesome!! Good job.

Thommo82

Mistake or not, that looks great. 

If you don’t like it, send it to me and I’ll swap you for a sky factory black ceramic sub that you can fuck with. 

Mystery Shopper

That bezel is now ginger. Its a gingermariner  :D

Thommo82
6 minutes ago, Mystery Shopper said:

That bezel is now ginger. Its a gingermariner  :D

Wow

This is my comment of the year

GingerApple

Lol, serendipity is a wonderful thing. Thanks all. Sorry Thommo, this unique piece is staying with me. The Gingermariner is born!!!!

k4jun

Tell us the official name of your factory. We need to be specific when we will instruct noobs in respect of the best sub.

RussP

I must agree with the others that you have a wonderful creation on your wrist.

Tropical bezel works beautifully with the Tudor.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

GingerApple
16 minutes ago, k4jun said:

Tell us the official name of your factory. We need to be specific when we will instruct noobs in respect of the best sub.

Good point. I'll add tags to the thread also. It is of course the Gingermariner from Goat Fucker Factory.

12 minutes ago, RussP said:

I must agree with the others that you have a wonderful creation on your wrist.

Tropical bezel works beautifully with the Tudor.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Thanks dude! Coming from a man with your taste in watches, that means a lot!

Thommo82

SEND IT TO ME NOW!!!!

GingerApple
4 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

SEND IT TO ME NOW!!!!

I genuinely would were it not for the fact that you don't like wearing watches that have a different name on the dial to the true maker. X

blueoysterboy

So Blubba, what plans you got to fuck with the dial?

GingerApple
1 minute ago, blueoysterboy said:

So Blubba, what plans you got to expertly and uniquely mod the dial?

Well, I'm glad you asked.

I'm thinking to cook it.

BM284

To be fair that really doesn’t look too bad....

k4jun

Baking... Cooking.. in past, have you already know how to do this ? or you had to develop such exotic skills to become a watch moder?

Pseudorep

I see you followed the instructions - leave in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.

Does leaving it in for longer turn it black again?

deju

You turned it fecking Ginger!!!

I think you did a good job, next step dial and crystal! 

GenTLe

Oh well... I like it more with the ginger insert :)

brang1

For fuck sake, i have always been concerned that Gingervitus could be transferred from person to person or in this case chimpanzee. But now it seems it is even more serious, the ugly nefarious ginger gene can be passed onto inanimate objects as well! What if the Ginger Ninja stood in front of the Mona Lisa and the wench ended up with a Ginger mane! This is a warning, these creatures are spreading, they have infiltrated the royal family and no one or thing is safe. Forget the Zombie Apocalypse , This is the GINGER APOCALYPSE  AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edited by brang1

GingerApple
1 hour ago, k4jun said:

Baking... Cooking.. in past, have you already know how to do this ? or you had to develop such exotic skills to become a watch moder?

I was once a pot washer in the canteen at the BHI.

45 minutes ago, Pseudorep said:

I see you followed the instructions - leave in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.

Does leaving it in for longer turn it black again?

That's genius thinking! Let's see.....

17 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Oh well... I like it more with the ginger insert :)

The ginger is staying, don't worry.

12 minutes ago, brang1 said:

For fuck sake, i have always been concerned that Gingervitus could be transferred from person to person or in this case chimpanzee. But now it seems it is even more serious, the ugly nefarious ginger gene can be passed onto inanimate objects as well! What if the Ginger Ninja stood in front of the Mona Lisa and the wench ended up with a Ginger mane! This is a warning, these creatures are spreading, they have infiltrated the royal family and no one or thing is safe. Forget the Zombie Apocalypse , This is the GINGER APOCALYPSE  AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I told you!!!! We're slowly taking over..... I'm going to be crowned the First Ginger King of the Universe.

brang1
3 minutes ago, VieuxRougeRance said:

I was once a pot washer in the canteen at the BHI.

That's genius thinking! Let's see.....

The ginger is staying, don't worry.

I told you!!!! We're slowly taking over..... I'm going to be crowned the First Ginger King of the Universe.

its true, can't wait to be imprisoned and be the first to say  "Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"

brang1

fuck me... even Dr. Zaius  was a furking lurking Ginger Nut 

350?cb=20130222010629

where will it end people? Won't someone please think of the children