SCShrek

Four new watches arrived this week. Pic heavy.

SCShrek

They range from "thing thing is awesome" to "wtf"!!!

I received 2 watches from Kuvarsit and 2 watches from the Gate. You can probably guess which ones were "wtf" but I had to try my hand at a couple of sub $40 watches and just wow, you actually DO get what you pay for but since this was no surprise, I had a plan.

VoeNN0.jpg

Its probably not hard to tel which two are DH...

So I will start with the best. This Planet Ocean is a beast. It's not the biggest watch I've ever had at 45mm  (cough, Invicta, cough) but it's damn near the heaviest at 233 grams. The VSF super clone A8400 movement is super smooth to wind and adjust and well, I think it looks good too! Thanks goes to Kevin for this one. Im not up on my Omega reps but I believe the "happy feet" on the bracelet is incorrect but I can live with it.

VoeTHr.jpgVoe7kI.jpgVoeqDo.jpg

VokVgQ.jpg.

Next from Kevin (thanks again Kevin), it the Speedmaster Apollo XIII edition but it wasnt for me but my wife. It has some rep issues like the back and the dials that I havent figured out yet. It's supposed to be an Asian Copy Lemania, the chrono works (sort of) as the chrono at 3 and 6 never seem to move. Maybe someone can catch me up to speed on that movement and how it supposed to work or if it needs to go back to Kevin. I dont care too much as it's my wife and her only critique is "I love Snoopy". If she's happy, im happy. Anyway, this is a manual wind, which is unfortunate as it only seems to have one crown position and that's to set the hands. The crown doesnt screw in and in the "normal" position, it's a real bitch trying to wind the thing with the way the case surrounds the crown. That doesnt seem normal either so the wife may have to put her Snoopy fetish on hold for a month or so while this goes back. Any input is appreciated on this.

VoeLNL.jpg

Voet1K.jpg

Voe4Le.jpg

Ahhhh, and now we come to the $40 DH specials...the Milguass wasnt as bad at first sight as I suspected it would be so I wore it today. First, it's extremely light even compared to my TD provided DateJust II. The first thing I noticed was the rotor. I have some DG2813 movements that you can hear the rotor if you listen for it but this one sounds like an auto wreck is occurring in the case. I'm not sure there are any bearings in there...the second issue was completely unexpected. I took an extended trip in the car ...with my hand on the steering wheel...with the AC blowing on my watch wrist...and I'll damned if the whole inside of the crystal didnt fog up. I put my other hand on top to warm it and poof, it was gone. Other than those 2 things, it actually kept good time. I was surprised the crystal actually has the green tint around the outside so I dont mind it so much.

VoerkT.jpg

VoeBDA.jpg

Now comes the AirKing. I was really excited about this one but wth is up with the "6". They didnt get the font or the size of the thing right. My God man, use the 9 and turn it upside down...smdh...other than that, the winding feels like a DG2813 and it seems to keep decent time over the two days I've had it. This was was also very light as you may expect.It also had a green hologram sticker on it but the rubber case back ball sheered that thing right off. LOL.

VoelD6.jpg

VoeFyF.jpg

So my plan all along with the DHGate watches is for them to be sacrificial in a way. I have only dealt with tiny case back screws and replacing bracelets and straps so I have the utmost respect for those that can work on these movements. I was going to pop the case backs off of these and try to verify the movement but my rubber removal ball will not budge these case backs so I will probably spring for a cheap $20 set of the Rolex tools. Go slow and be careful and if I chew up the case back, oh well. My master plan is to get the backs off and 1st, replace the dial on that AirKing. I cant even wear it looking like that. Then I want to measure the case and see if I can find a cheap but "real" movement that will fit in each. If I can do that, I will have 2 crappy and un-oiled movements to take apart and throw away when I cant get it back together. If by some miracle I do get them working again, I'll take them apart again and try my hand at lubricating them...any way, baby steps for someone who has never dismantled a movement. 

Edited by gwbmcse

SCShrek

After a bit of research of the “Asian clone Lemania”, I believe I have a Sea-Gull ST1902: 3 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, 12 h register at 6 that mirrors the time-keeping hour hand

Nikosaldente
25 minutes ago, gwbmcse said:

After a bit of research of the “Asian clone Lemania”, I believe I have a Sea-Gull ST1902: 3 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, 12 h register at 6 that mirrors the time-keeping hour hand

See?

Google is your best friend :D

If you Google photos of the Clasp of your UPO you'll also see that the "Happy Feet" are also correct. 

They aren't supposed to be "Happy Feet" on the Glued Metallic Logos on the Dial "Ω"

On Printed ones, they exist. 

Snoopy; Get your wife a DHGATE Quartz one and she'll be fine!

Also, it's not supposed to have 2 Crown Positions or a screw down Crown as the Gen doesn't have them either. 

Movement swap; It's not that easy as it sounds..... The stem hole on the case is at a different height,  the Hands of a DG2813 don't fit on a 2836 or a 2824 etc...

It's better to save money and buy the high beat and better quality as it comes from the factory!

Enjoy wearing your new watches..

Cheers!

SCShrek
9 hours ago, Nikosaldente said:

It's better to save money and buy the high beat and better quality as it comes from the factory!

I get your point but I would hate to mess up a perfectly good factory watch to take a dive into horology. I wont feel so bad if these never work again.

processengr
15 hours ago, gwbmcse said:

They range from "thing thing is awesome" to "wtf"!!!

I received 2 watches from Kuvarsit and 2 watches from the Gate. You can probably guess which ones were "wtf" but I had to try my hand at a couple of sub $40 watches and just wow, you actually DO get what you pay for but since this was no surprise, I had a plan.

VoeNN0.jpg

Its probably not hard to tel which two are DH...

So I will start with the best. This Planet Ocean is a beast. It's not the biggest watch I've ever had at 45mm  (cough, Invicta, cough) but it's damn near the heaviest at 233 grams. The VSF super clone A8400 movement is super smooth to wind and adjust and well, I think it looks good too! Thanks goes to Kevin for this one. Im not up on my Omega reps but I believe the "happy feet" on the bracelet is incorrect but I can live with it.

VoeTHr.jpgVoe7kI.jpgVoeqDo.jpg

VokVgQ.jpg.

Next from Kevin (thanks again Kevin), it the Speedmaster Apollo XIII edition but it wasnt for me but my wife. It has some rep issues like the back and the dials that I havent figured out yet. It's supposed to be an Asian Copy Lemania, the chrono works (sort of) as the chrono at 3 and 6 never seem to move. Maybe someone can catch me up to speed on that movement and how it supposed to work or if it needs to go back to Kevin. I dont care too much as it's my wife and her only critique is "I love Snoopy". If she's happy, im happy. Anyway, this is a manual wind, which is unfortunate as it only seems to have one crown position and that's to set the hands. The crown doesnt screw in and in the "normal" position, it's a real bitch trying to wind the thing with the way the case surrounds the crown. That doesnt seem normal either so the wife may have to put her Snoopy fetish on hold for a month or so while this goes back. Any input is appreciated on this.

VoeLNL.jpg

Voet1K.jpg

Voe4Le.jpg

Ahhhh, and now we come to the $40 DH specials...the Milguass wasnt as bad at first sight as I suspected it would be so I wore it today. First, it's extremely light even compared to my TD provided DateJust II. The first thing I noticed was the rotor. I have some DG2813 movements that you can hear the rotor if you listen for it but this one sounds like an auto wreck is occurring in the case. I'm not sure there are any bearings in there...the second issue was completely unexpected. I took an extended trip in the car ...with my hand on the steering wheel...with the AC blowing on my watch wrist...and I'll damned if the whole inside of the crystal didnt fog up. I put my other hand on top to warm it and poof, it was gone. Other than those 2 things, it actually kept good time. I was surprised the crystal actually has the green tint around the outside so I dont mind it so much.

VoerkT.jpg

VoeBDA.jpg

Now comes the AirKing. I was really excited about this one but wth is up with the "6". They didnt get the font or the size of the thing right. My God man, use the 9 and turn it upside down...smdh...other than that, the winding feels like a DG2813 and it seems to keep decent time over the two days I've had it. This was was also very light as you may expect.It also had a green hologram sticker on it but the rubber case back ball sheered that thing right off. LOL.

VoelD6.jpg

VoeFyF.jpg

So my plan all along with the DHGate watches is for them to be sacrificial in a way. I have only dealt with tiny case back screws and replacing bracelets and straps so I have the utmost respect for those that can work on these movements. I was going to pop the case backs off of these and try to verify the movement but my rubber removal ball will not budge these case backs so I will probably spring for a cheap $20 set of the Rolex tools. Go slow and be careful and if I chew up the case back, oh well. My master plan is to get the backs off and 1st, replace the dial on that AirKing. I cant even wear it looking like that. Then I want to measure the case and see if I can find a cheap but "real" movement that will fit in each. If I can do that, I will have 2 crappy and un-oiled movements to take apart and throw away when I cant get it back together. If by some miracle I do get them working again, I'll take them apart again and try my hand at lubricating them...any way, baby steps for someone who has never dismantled a movement. 

That AirKing may be more special than you may think, read this...https://www.gq.com/story/unusual-rolex-air-king-value

fatarms

That 6...  :rofl:

How do they not use the 9 and turn it upside down?  That's basically what the gen does.  That's unbelievable :lol:

Eadesy
35 minutes ago, fatarms said:

That 6...  :rofl:

How do they not use the 9 and turn it upside down?  That's basically what the gen does.  That's unbelievable :lol:

Clearly the last one knocked up on a Friday afternoon! 

PO looks awesome!