Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcNair

I think I figured out how to Lume sausage dials....

MikeMcNair

As we all know, super lumed watches are the business, and sausage dials present a particulary complex level of difficulty to lume. Well, here is my very first attempt at making it easy for ANYONE to lume a sausage themselves!!

Once I get my final steps done, all Pam sausage dials will be very easy to superlume, and will look fantastic.

Here are a few shots to illustrate my attempt at straight lines and a curve.....this is an absolute beta version of what I will be coming up with. It will work wonderfully when I

Also, please be gentle,

fd6d3c16.jpg

32a9cab1.jpg

62b1995d.jpg

248ca0ad.jpg

e8c8410f.jpg

3f557400.jpg

78c707ed.jpg

75a633af.jpg

d0de78e6.jpg

9fe7ebbb.jpg

88067388.jpg

sconehead

...what is this 'LUKE' process of which you speak? :)

Ska

VERY interesting mate! I'll be following this intently!!

wat44

Use the ky jelly, Luke

MikeMcNair

Sorry guys, edited title. Posting this from iPhone and dam sbell chek made it wonky.

But I think I can relume any sausage dial in about 15-20 minutes now!!!! Total time spent on this was 1-2 hrs, but that included painting the dial blue, and allowing it to dry.

It took me a week to figure it out, and it finally hit me that there was a really really easy way to do this!

What you see above took (for the final result) about 20 min. Spent most of the 2 hrs trying to figure out how to steady my shaky hands :)

Ska

well come on then! Give us a clue???!!

sconehead
Sorry guys, edited title. Posting this from iPhone and dam sbell chek made it wonky.

But I think I can relume any sausage dial in about 15-20 minutes now!!!! Total time spent on this was 1-2 hrs, but that included painting the dial blue, and allowing it to dry.

It took me a week to figure it out, and it finally hit me that there was a really really easy way to do this!

What you see above took (for the final result) about 20 min. Spent most of the 2 hrs trying to figure out how to steady my shaky hands :)

I find whisky helps mate...:P

...not bad for 20 mins work...

Balad1

Hey Fucker!

That's not my rep I sent you for repair is it?

It looks like you put the lume on with a sharp stick...

wat44

looks to me like his finger or his knob

gottahaverolex

Uh... There's lume on there all right! Practice coloring inside the lines like when you were five years old, my hands aren't steady enough to do such meticulous work. Practice ALOT before offering it as a service because you'll get torn apart if it's not perfect. Good first attempt though, better than my first AND last!

Balad1

Just fucking with you Mike, I realize it's a first attempt.

MikeMcNair

What you don't realize, is I made stickers out of the lume, so the odd shapes and improper lines are simply my hands with a razor.

The long and the short of it is this: prepare matte white vinyl sticker stock, and cut out the numbers and or letters you want. After luming them enough with an airbrush, you can simply put them on the dial and clear it. This makes them stick for good, and looks clean as fuck if the vinyl is cut proper.

Now, I have a guy cutting me about 100 "6,12,3,9"'s so I will be able to make ANY sausage dial look perfect.

What you see is all free hand shit, so it looks like hell. But, with the proper "decals" that have been lumed, I can make it so anyone can do their dial in minutes.

Basically; it's because I will super lume the stickers per se.

Make sense?

wat44

excellent

MikeMcNair
excellent

Thanks, I was quite please with this idea as NO ONE wants to touch a sausage dial. They are too much of a pain in the ass!

But with my little trick, anyone can do it and fast, and cheap, so it makes total sense!!!!

KeNnY

Great work Mike ! That lume is that what you have bought from ebay no ? The lume for fishing lures :P

Mods and Admins, it is time, to finally rename the RWG to LWG - Lume Watches Guide Forum ! Starting this day ! :lol:

Del

Very clever idea Mike - look forward to seeing your next update with the numbers super-lumed!

prestigewatchco

how are you going to be able to do this with a branded watch Mike? I can see it's fine on a sterile dial you have painted but what if you have a dial with lots of writing on it.

Or a chrono. are you going to put the sticker over the existing lume?

There is a system I have seen used where the left overs of the numbers you have removed from the vinyl can be used as a template to protect the dial and lumed as normal

MikeMcNair

I will have no problem if there are words, but a chrono I have yet to figure out. I will likely have to mask and lume as normal on them.

Again, this is simply a test to see if I could do it, once I get the actual numerals and get them on I think things will look alot better.

Oh oh, I forgot, I have a way to lume the tiny letters in "luminar" etc, but I'm waiting for the materials :)

houndoggie

mmmm.... sausage!

sausage.jpg