Very nice job @BADBILLY

Looks better than the plating by the rep factories lol

BADBILLY

VSG6lK.md.jpg VSGEtd.md.jpg VSGWbe.md.jpg VSGp9Z.md.jpg

Monkey Slow Clap GIF - Monkey SlowClap SlowClapping GIFs

BADBILLY

Still working on the modded dial......

GingerApple

Lol, that is fucking disgusting. However, it's super impressive so well done!!!! How thick is it though? Would a scratch fuck it up?

FudgyDocker

Nice job so far. Well done, dude.

BADBILLY
30 minutes ago, TwoTonesBubba said:

Lol, that is fucking disgusting. However, it's super impressive so well done!!!! How thick is it though? Would a scratch fuck it up?

The amount of time that the plated object is immersed in the bath process determines the thickness. Too much can yield unfavorable results.

The thickness can be measured using an XRF- X-Ray Flourescence Spectroscopy test. I have found some handheld versions that I am researching  that can measure the thickness. But will look at the schematics of the instrument prior to purchase to see if I can just build one for myself.

The watch pictured above is at about 3 microns (not verified by test equipment yet, only estimating  by time and voltage measurements.) 

Glaude
3 minutes ago, BADBILLY said:

The thickness can be measured using an XRF- X-Ray Flourescence Spectroscopy test. I have found some handheld versions that I am researching  that can measure the thickness. But will look at the schematics of the instrument prior to purchase to see if I can just build one for myself.

Those are expensive and very very complex machine as far as I remember

GingerApple
1 minute ago, BADBILLY said:

The amount of time that the plated object is immersed in the bath process determines the thickness. Too much can yield unfavorable results.

The watch pictured above is at about 3 microns (not verified by test equipment yet, only estimating  by time and voltage measurements.) 

All I read there was, 'Blah blah....geek stuff....blah blah..... chemistry.....blah blah....finally lost it in my late 20s....' etc. ;)

I'm guessing a scratch would fuck it up?

BADBILLY
1 minute ago, TwoTonesBubba said:

All I read there was, 'Blah blah....geek stuff....blah blah..... chemistry.....blah blah....finally lost it in my late 20s....' etc. ;)

I'm guessing a scratch would fuck it up?

no more so on than on stainless steel. both can be polished out. Only difference is the depth of the scratch can be deeper than the plating.

A scratch is a scratch. the plating does hold up for usual scuffs.

if a scratch is too deep then you polish and replate.

5 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Those are expensive and very very complex machine as far as I remember

I am looking at one that I found at Grainger for about $150

Glaude
13 minutes ago, BADBILLY said:

no more so on than on stainless steel. both can be polished out. Only difference is the depth of the scratch can be deeper than the plating.

A scratch is a scratch. the plating does hold up for usual scuffs.

if a scratch is too deep then you polish and replate.

I am looking at one that I found at Grainger for about $150

Price decreased a lot then, I remember them costing way more than that ! 

Got a link ?

BADBILLY
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

Price decreased a lot then, I remember them costing way more than that ! 

Got a link ?

http://www.extech.com/display/?id=14389

https://www.grainger.com/product/5GTH1?cm_sp=Product_Details-_-Products_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLARECS&cm_vc=IDPPLARECS

This is what I am looking at, what do you think?

It says that it works on electromagnetic principals, to determine the coating thickness. ( I called Extech's sales department , the representative informed me that it will work for gold plating thickness determination, but not certain of her technical ability so still in the research phase).

I am also looking into a formula of heat dissipation rates for gold thicknesses to see  if it is feasible to just use a infrared thermometer to calculate the plating thickness.

the x-ray fluorescence spectroscopy units are large and expensive, so I am exploring the various methods to achieve an inexpensive method to measure. I have seen hand held units in use at jewelry shops. 

Glaude

Yes that's what I found, I figured you couldn't be talking about such a cheap price for an actual XRF handheld machine, I think the lowest price for them is around $2000

With heat dissipation you'll have to establish a base reading on the non plated parts, but that could give you an idea, but not really sure you'll have a precise enough measurement, plating is rather thin

Mkiv
54 minutes ago, BADBILLY said:

http://www.extech.com/display/?id=14389

https://www.grainger.com/product/5GTH1?cm_sp=Product_Details-_-Products_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLARECS&cm_vc=IDPPLARECS

This is what I am looking at, what do you think?

It says that it works on electromagnetic principals, to determine the coating thickness. ( I called Extech's sales department , the representative informed me that it will work for gold plating thickness determination, but not certain of her technical ability so still in the research phase).

I am also looking into a formula of heat dissipation rates for gold thicknesses to see  if it is feasible to just use a infrared thermometer to calculate the plating thickness.

the x-ray fluorescence spectroscopy units are large and expensive, so I am exploring the various methods to achieve an inexpensive method to measure. I have seen hand held units in use at jewelry shops. 

You may want to take a look on amazon.  Here are two similar ones that are approx $130, and there are others on there as well.

https://www.amazon.com/ERAY-Thickness-Handheld-Automotive-Backlight/dp/B01GO4ZXJ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=eray&qid=1560963249&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Thickness-CM-208FN-Automatic-Resolution-0-001mils/dp/B07KQ4TQFB

BADBILLY

OK, now the project is finally finished. During production, it became necessary to visit the optometrist and have a set of spectacles ordered......

This beauty is TT in 18k gold and sp2ZImwg.jpgAVJasPO.jpg2s4aNwD.jpgtainless steel. weighs 212 grams and is BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!

HhukcFg.jpgbDSDLwx.jpgBzo7CQ5.jpg

GingerApple

Literally the most disgusting abomination I've ever seen. Good tekkers though, very impressive. But fucking ugly. :vomit:

simey83

That’s fuckin hideous. Cool tho :)

Jimmyrich1

Wow @BADBILLY you really went in on it! Supertech. Bravo sir! 

deju

Made a boring watch a tad more interesting.

BADBILLY

Genesis 2:10-12 New King James Version (NKJV)

10 Now a river went out of Eden to water the garden, and from there it parted and became four riverheads. 11 The name of the first is Pishon; it is the one which skirts the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold. 12 And the gold of that land is good. Bdellium and the onyx stone arethere.

https://bebusinessed.com/history/the-history-of-gold/

GingerApple
24 minutes ago, deju said:

Made a boring watch a tad more interesting.

Wash your mouth out!!!! With molten gold!!!

NCRich

Very nice and a great bit of modding.  I think it has turned out well, quite unique.

GingerApple
6 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Very nice ... I think it has turned out well.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

BADBILLY
8 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Very nice and a great bit of modding.  I think it has turned out well, quite unique.

Well to be honest this was my very first attempt at modding and I did study a lot of tutorials from NCRich and others at I worked through this project.

Naturally there are some flaws and mistakes, but have the goldplating down now and am learning my around the movements a good bit better.

BADBILLY
14 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

I am drawing up plans for my next project in modding and have decided to call the next one in ROSE GOLD , Thanks to GingerBubba for the inspiration.

Will name the next project " The Bronze Submariner"  or maybe "The Cinnamon Submariner", not sure yet which one.

Why not let the forum decide..........??????

How many votes for "The Bronze Submariner"???

How many votes for "The Cinnamon Submariner"????

GingerApple

I was holding out for 'The Gingermariner'.....