Thecalvin

New Old Member Saying Hi for the First Time!

Thecalvin

Hello everyone on RWG!

Just figured I'd finally say high after stalking the forums (LOL!) for more than 2 years now. I've also been reading the (often) entertaining banter many long-time members have engaged in and find them friendly and hilarious. Looking forward to chime in every now and then!

A little story of my history with reps: 

When I first started getting serious about watch collecting, I (perhaps blindly) bought into the whole idea of "strictly no reps" and stayed that way, all the while salivating over images of the Swiss brands that were way beyond my reach (and still are!). One day 3 years ago, a friend happened to chance upon this forum and decided to give one of the TDs a try (I believe it was Andrew) and got a NOOB Ceramic Sub. He showed it to me and stupid me thought it was a gen until he confessed. I didn't believe it possible so I went to the nearest jeweler that stocked pre-owned Subs and managed to get a (inappropriate) feel of the Subs on sale, and to my surprise, they didn't feel that much different, at least to the pleb I was back then. It was also at that moment where I decided to not be so harsh and critical of reps (and their buyers) and to try one for myself.

Fast forward 3 years later, I have bought 8 reps for myself (rookie number I know), all of which were exclusively from Andrew of @trustytime which I must say, has been an excellent TD.  The 8 are (in order of oldest to most recent purchase):

1. Rolex Submariner Black Ceramic 2813
2. Patek Philippe Nautilus Blue 4813
3. 2016 Rolex Daytona 2824 (faux chronograph lol!)
4. Rolex Datejust 36mm Black 2824
5. Breitling Navitimer A23322
6. Rolex Explorer 1 Ref1016 2813
7. IWC Big Pilot 5004 (faux power reserve lol!) 2813
8. IWC Portugieser 7 Days 500710 (working power reserve :D)

My stalking of this forum teaches me that no post is complete without photos so here's one featuring 7/8 of my collection

IMG-20190613-210800.jpg[/IMG]

*Higher res photos to follow*

I trawled the forums a fair bit before buying these reps but I couldn't really find much about them (or maybe I didn't look hard or far back enough). I look forward to contributing my thoughts on them in (hopefully, sufficiently) detailed reviews in the near future.

Cheers

simey83

Hi mate. Lovely collection you got there. Keep it up! :D

Cheers

Simey

Thecalvin
3 minutes ago, simey83 said:

Hi mate. Lovely collection you got there. Keep it up! :D

Cheers

Simey

Thanks mate!

Cheers
Calvin

Thecalvin

Ok, as promised, some closer-up, higher-res photos of the collection

IMG-20190613-210520.jpg[/IMG]

IMG-20190613-210545.jpg[/IMG]

IMG-20190613-210610.jpg[/IMG]

IMG-20190613-210627.jpg[/IMG]

IMG-20190613-210643.jpg[/IMG]

IMG-20190613-211638.jpg[/IMG]

IMG-20190613-210701.jpg[/IMG]

Will definitely look to compiling my experience with each of them + more photos for reference.

Enjoy!
Calvin

Mkiv

Great collection you have there, and at a fraction of the cost of one single gen.  I have only owned 1 "high end" gen in the past and hope to get another someday, but unless I hit the mega lottery I will always have reps around.

Glaude

Hi and welcome !

Nice presentation post :) 

Thecalvin
6 minutes ago, Mkiv said:

Great collection you have there, and at a fraction of the cost of one single gen.  I have only owned 1 "high end" gen in the past and hope to get another someday, but unless I hit the mega lottery I will always have reps around.

Thanks mate. Totally agree with you on this one. I understand why gens are priced as such but, where I'm from for example, a Sub is worth about a year's gross salary or in other terms,  a 10% deposit for a 1000 sq ft apartment. Like you, until I hit the lottery, it'll be reps all the way

2 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Hi and welcome !

Nice presentation post :) 

Thanks mate! Pleasure to be here!

GingerApple
1 hour ago, Thecalvin said:

...where I'm from for example, a Sub is worth about a year's gross salary or in other terms,  a 10% deposit for a 1000 sq ft apartment.

Bloody hell! So for someone with an average income where you're from, buying a rep is basically as painful as me buying a Gen! Where's are you from (feel free to tell me to mind my own business)?

Excellent taste in watches by the way. You are clearly a person if style and taste. As am I, because I have those watches too :thumbsup2:

BenjaminButton
Bloody hell! So for someone with an average income where you're from, buying a rep is basically as painful as me buying a Gen! Where's are you from (feel free to tell me to mind my own business)?

Excellent taste in watches by the way. You are clearly a person if style and taste. As am I, because I have those watches too thumbsup2.gif

You silly ginger. Most of the world is piss poor compared to us fat pale fucks. We Brits are still drawing from the bank of sugar and spice and all things nice.

OP nice collection.

Bertus15
2 hours ago, Thecalvin said:

1. Rolex Submariner Black Ceramic 2813
2. Patek Philippe Nautilus Blue 4813
3. 2016 Rolex Daytona 2824 (faux chronograph lol!)
4. Rolex Datejust 36mm Black 2824
5. Breitling Navitimer A23322
6. Rolex Explorer 1 Ref1016 2813
7. IWC Big Pilot 5004 (faux power reserve lol!) 2813
8. IWC Portugieser 7 Days 500710 (working power reserve :D)

9. Lenovo T470 

Nice collection btw  :thumbsup:

GingerApple
16 minutes ago, BenjaminButton said:

You gorgeous ginger. Most of the world is piss poor compared to us fat pale fucks. We Brits are still drawing from the bank of sugar and spice and all things nice.

Don't worry, Boris will soon even things out again.

Thecalvin
18 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

Excellent taste in watches by the way. You are clearly a person if style and taste. As am I, because I have those watches too :thumbsup2:

Hahaha thanks for the compliments. Yes, unfortunately it's true. I'm from Malaysia btw. Average monthly income across the country is about MYR4k - 5k (approx. 740-900ish GBP). A preowned ceramic Sub starts at about MYR30,000 to anywhere above MYR40,000. A 1000 sq ft apartment in an average location is about MYR0.5 million. So yeah, buying a rep that's about USD300 - 400 can be quite a pinch too LOL!

18 hours ago, BenjaminButton said:

You silly ginger. Most of the world is piss poor compared to us fat pale fucks. We Brits are still drawing from the bank of sugar and spice and all things nice.

emoji6.png

OP nice collection.

Thanks mate. Hahaha I wouldn't call it piss poor. Just that the exchange rate ain't doing us any favours.

18 hours ago, Bertus15 said:

9. Lenovo T470 

Nice collection btw  :thumbsup:

Hahahahah well spotted. Thanks a bunch mate!

TourBYonder

Nice collection!  Good photos too.

Thecalvin
19 hours ago, TourBYonder said:

Nice collection!  Good photos too.

Thanks mate! Gonna be looking to review one of them pretty soon! Cheers! 

ShovelnTC

Nice collection, great intro and welcome.

Mystery Shopper

Very nice collection to date.

What happened to the Patek?

Thecalvin
On 15/06/2019 at 16:00, ShovelnTC said:

Nice collection, great intro and welcome.

Thanks for the welcome mate!

On 15/06/2019 at 16:13, Mystery Shopper said:

Very nice collection to date.

What happened to the Patek?

Thanks mate. I've kept the Patek at home coz I've been traveling for work quite a bit. Not that I"m babying it or anything. Just that the ones I have on me are those that I've bought and got delivered to wherever I was staying at the moment.

Mystery Shopper

:thumbsup:

hasel5

Hi and welcome nice collection 

BadPickle

Nice pieces there pal, welcome to the forum :D 

Thecalvin
On 19/06/2019 at 18:03, Mystery Shopper said:

:thumbsup:

On 19/06/2019 at 18:26, hasel5 said:

Hi and welcome nice collection 

On 19/06/2019 at 20:17, pickledbeetroot said:

Nice pieces there pal, welcome to the forum :D 

Thanks for the welcome everyone! The weekend is here so I'm prepping for my first review (sort of). Will be posting it soon. 

Enjoy the weekend! TGIF!