SCShrek

Discovered a new Citizen but low end gen or high end rep?

SCShrek

I have a few Citizens and I like them for their ease of use, albeit not mechanical, with Eco Drive, radio controlled time setting and leap year perpetual calendars.

So I ran across this guy in Dulles airport in DC over the weekend and instantly wanted it but it’s pricey for a Citizen. About the same as a higher end rep so I’m torn since there still so many reps I want. What do you guys think of it?

I will probably end up with it at some point but how do you tier watches? Would you rather have have a really nice low end gen even if it’s not mechanical, ie some Seikos, Citizen, Orient, etc or a high end rep? I realize there’s a ton of gray area in that question but just in general.

VFHcTQ.jpg

The store in the airport had the watch front and center in its own display case UPSIDE DOWN. They may need some marketing help. 

Rx4Time

I had an ecodrive.  Never wore it much and sold it off.  Failed a few months after the sale.  They have a small computer as the movement.  I wouldn't buy another.

narikaa

They're alright

Where things go wrong is leaving them with no light for extended periods (eg in a box or drawer), then they can prove recalcitrant to restart

ShovelnTC

I tried the budget Gen route but I find that I get bored quickly so like to flip my watches and have found selling budget Gens almost impossible without a huge loss so I have gone back to reps although with many now well over $400 I haven't bought much lately.

I do have an eco drive Citizen which was a beater for years and it's still going strong.

I put it on the window sill for a charge up every couple of months when I'm not regularly wearing it.

RussP

I have 4 Eco Drive watches that range in age from 4 to 10 years old.

I rarely wear them, but do put them on the window sill in direct sunlight every weekend.

Recommended at every price point of their range.

FudgyDocker

I love my Eco-Drive. Been wearing it 6 years straight, but it's kind of taken a back seat since I went on a rep binge.

It's not the same as getting a nice shiny rep through the door, yes. But if you want a good looking, well priced, reliable gen you couldn't ask for more, really.

It says that the battery needs changing after 5 years, but 7-8 years later mine still has a full power reserve of 310 days or so

VFH2qq.md.jpg

GingerApple

Horrible things. Don't go near them. They're the sort of shite new Thommo would buy. Sigh....I miss old Thommo.

SCShrek
6 hours ago, FudgyDocker said:

I love my Eco-Drive. Been wearing it 6 years straight, but it's kind of taken a back seat since I went on a rep binge.

It's not the same as getting a nice shiny rep through the door, yes. But if you want a good looking, well priced, reliable gen you couldn't ask for more, really.

It says that the battery needs changing after 5 years, but 7-8 years later mine still has a full power reserve of 310 days or so

VFH2qq.md.jpg

Here’s the two I have,  one you’ll recognize, just with out the two tone. These were my daily’s before I discovered reps as well but I find it hard to go back to them unless I’m too lazy to wind/set the date or in a hurry. I suppose the answer is people get into reps when they grow tired of the low end gens. The Blue Angels model is only about 2 years old but the other one has been worn for nearly 6 years now and still going strong. Also hard to beat a 5 year replacement warranty  on Citizens.

VFtWWZ.jpg

VFtELe.jpg

VFt6Pd.jpg

CollieWobbles

IMG-0942.jpg

Here's mine after 11 years and still going strong.

Khronos

Here's my pricey one:

IMG-20190529-185819.jpg

The finish is superb, I've never had a watch (gen or rep), that was this well made, but they're virtually impossible to sell. Keep that in mind if you're a serial flipper. Like me.