Pesman

Rep v Gen : BP Omega Seamaster 300m 44m Chronograph

Pesman

The Seamaster Co-Axiel 300m Chronograph in Blue - 212.30.44.50.03.001 - Has long been on my grail list.  I had tried a rep in the past but it suffered from the infamous Asian 7753 3 o'clock dial hand wobble and I had to let it go.

The 7750 variants have also been around but the gearing meant the date was just too sunken to look right. When I saw that BP where now offering a new variant  with a faux 3 o'clock dial and no sunken date, I decided to take the plunge again.

Mine was ordered from Mary and was the usual hassle free transaction. 

The watch was stunning and just so good that I decided to take the plunge and offer up a number of my lesser gen's to the mercy of Watchfinder.co.uk and haggle a real one.

So, before I pass this rep onto someone else, I thought it was worth doing a side by side comparison of the real one and the rep.

The pictures are only mobile phone I'm afraid but should serve to show just how good the rep is.

As a start, here are the two side by side. Can you tell which is which...? The genuine is from 2017 so I believe both are the same 'edition'.

6ff023a2c3b7ee3aba094aee014b4f0c.jpg

The genuine watch is on the right and will remain that way throughout. I am still amazed at just how good the rep is.

Weight-wise there is 5g between them with the straps both sized for my wrist at 7 1/4 inches 

Whilst the functional tells are obvious: - faux minute counter, and the gen has a quick date set in the Helium escape crown the rep in the main crown - the visual looks are spot on.

The only key differences are that the rep has far 'whiter' hands on both the running seconds sub-dials and main hands. As a result they actually "pop" more than the original. If I'm being honest they look better to me - really sharp.

The dial finish and colour is pretty much spot on. The rep is maybe slightly deeper in tone and again better.

7aea09bc655b8c66bf80b5023f562b6c.jpg

Steel quality seems identical and the bracelet quality and fit is indistinguishable.

Bracelet Clasp action is fine and maybe crisper on the gen.

41b378e8016c7018ca348336bfe52061.jpg

Depth wise etc., I can't see any difference

4a2e204a852abd9720f28da124fed7e6.jpg

f3aa867e8b778998ac51f854b64f0350.jpg

Both Bezels align fine - ignore the parallax effect below. The bezel bead is slightly more refines on the gen. The rep. bezel text is much brighter and again, I think it looks better.

The bezel 'click' on the gen is more solid but not massively so.

309b20bf92035e1c6faa04b1f9902ece.jpg

So there you have it. $250 versus £3400 - it should be a no-brainer really but like all things, we never use logic when buying a watch and that ability to count the minutes I spend staring at the dial means at least £3100 to me!

It is a stunning rep and I suspect the black and yellow variant will be joining it's genuine cousin soon...

Cheers Pesman

FudgyDocker

Mate, do you want to change that title to Rep vs Gen, maybe? ;)

GingerApple

Or 'Real vs Gen-uine Rep'

tabuktime
57 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

Mate, do you want to change that title to Rep vs Gen, maybe? ;)

Probably the result of an autocorrect.

Pesman

And done - cheers :)

BadApple

Bezel lettering a mile off on the Gen - no where near the white of the rep, it's gone all grey(ish). 

And the hands on the gen have been on a diet compared to the rep. 

Pesman

Ended up sending the gen back. I prefer the rep

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

k4jun

Good write-up. Thanks OP.

SunnyG

Hi Pesman, could you plz share a link to rwg TD who has website for this watch? I've seen a few different versions, but want to make sure I get the model you have with  no sunken date. It seems BP is the best for this watch from posts I've read (I'm a newbie).  I found this on trusty.. is this the same?  Thx.     http://www.trustytime01.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=442&products_id=16792

Edited by SunnyG

Pesman
Hi Pesman, could you plz share a link to rwg TD who has website for this watch? I've seen a few different versions, but want to make sure I get the model you have with  no sunken date. It seems BP is the best for this watch from posts I've read (I'm a newbie).  I found this on trusty.. is this the same?  Thx.     http://www.trustytime01.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=442&products_id=16792
Hi watch was from Mary. Plenty of links to her on the site. She will make sure you get a BP version.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

borut_pisk

Check here also the video of this beauty:

It is an awesome watch, heavy and is impressive on the wrist, the blue colour is just wow. 

sunnydale
On 14/08/2019 at 10:18, borut_pisk said:

Check here also the video of this beauty:

It is an awesome watch, heavy and is impressive on the wrist, the blue colour is just wow. 

Now is this really a rep?

Ferax

Thanks for the video! This watch looks incredible! There are just to much beautiful watches these days, I would have to buy 3-4 watches right now :chatty:

The whole channel on YT is quite interesting - the guy shows some really nice watches :)