KJ2020

BP Factory Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen

KJ2020

BP Factory Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen

Greetings fellow watchaholics, as the title states, here is a full review of the BP Rolex 16710 GMT. There are a lot of things to like about this rep, and as you will see overall I gave it a high rating. There are some things which will need fixing, as is the case with most reps. All of the characteristics of this rep like SEL, no LEC, dial, no lug holes, thickness, clasp, etc., were found on various 5-digit GMT models, but not all at the same time. There are some period correctness issues but overall I think it’s an acceptable combination with a few exceptions. This model is only available as ICHS.

Gen-BP-1-Medium.jpg

Below is the link I sent to my TD to source the watch. TSWatch is not a TD, but there are more good quality pics to look at there.

https://www.ts-station.cn/goods.php?ProId=13255

This is a link to the A3186 deco plate model at Intime. It is only shown with Pepsi insert. The many other listings at Intime for 16710's are all mislabeled, they are 1675's.

https://www.intime04.co/rollie/3627-gmt-master-ss-bp-blue-red-bezel-ss-bracelet-a3186.html

I will be rating the various elements of this rep using the following scale:

10.0 Perfect

9.0 Excellent

8.0 Very Good

7.0 Good

6.0 Above Average

5.0 Average

4.0 Below Average

3.0 Poor

2.0 Very Poor

1.0 Unacceptable

Case 8.0 / 10.0

Overall the case shape is very good. At a glance, it looks very gen-like.

Gen-BP-2-Medium.jpg

In the next few pics, we start to notice some deviations. The lugs appear to be a little thinner on the BP. Part of the reason for this appearance is due to the wider chamfers on the BP case shoulders. Four digit GMTs had these wider chamfers, as did the first GMT Master II, the 16760. The 16760 was known as the ‘Fat Lady’ and the ‘Sophia Loren’ because of these extra curves, and because the watch was thicker than others, around 13mm. These were two separate nicknames and never meant to imply Sophia Loren was fat, lol. You may have noticed that the BP 16710 rep looks thicker than the gen, and it is. More on that later, but one could easily conclude that BP modeled this 16710 after the 16760 Fat Lady as no other gen GMT five digit models are thick or have wide chamfers. The 16760 was in production from 1983-1988.

Here’s a shot of a ‘Fat Lady’

Gen-BP-3-Medium.jpg

View of the lugs

Gen-BP-4-Medium.jpg

Side views, note the thicker BP case. BP case has no lug holes, this came about in 2003.

Gen-BP-6-Medium.jpg

You can also see the difference in the crown guards and the position of the crown. The 2836 really sits low.

Gen-BP-5-Medium.jpg

Side edge view, you can really see the chamfer, and the difference in the crown position.

Gen-BP-7-Medium.jpg

Here you can see the BP case is .3mm thicker, but this is only part of the story.

Gen-BP-8-Medium.jpg

Caseback 4.0 / 10.0

The caseback on this rep is inexplicably thick, here you can see just how much. There is a version of this rep that has an A3186 deco plate, maybe that’s what it’s for. It’s a very good quality, thick caseback but you can see what it does to the overall thickness measurement. Maybe BP was trying to match the Fat Lady 13mm thickness along with the wider chamfers. Who knows?

Gen-BP-9-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-10-Medium.jpg

So the caseback of this watch creates a real thickness issue. I read about one member who grinded the caseback down and was able to achieve a 12.5mm result. This is great however there would be no room then to have a brushed caseback inner circle as you would be down to the tops of the teeth. I was lucky to have a thinner caseback in my parts drawer and it gave me a 12.5mm result, which I’m happy with as the .3mm difference to gen is in the case, not the caseback. This is the best you can hope for I think, and it is one thing that you must do somehow for this rep to be acceptable. Here’s some wristshots.

Gen-BP-11-Medium.jpg

After the thinner caseback was installed.

Gen-BP-12-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-13-Medium.jpg

Here’s a shot of the original caseback next to the installed replacement.

Gen-BP-36-Medium.jpg

Crown Guards 7.0 / 10.0

BP CG’s are close to the right shape, they just aren’t wide enough. They are a little taller and angle down slightly to cover the lower sitting crown. Nothing can really be done to improve this much.

Gen-BP-14-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-43-Medium.jpg

Crown 8.0 / 10.0

BP Crown is nice, the logo is not raised as much as the gen and the logo oval is larger but overall it looks decent.

Gen-BP-15-Medium.jpg

Bezel 8.0 / 10.0

BP bezel has wider and slightly deeper scallops, and correspondingly narrower teeth. The bezel is tight and it rotates very nicely with good clicks, in fact it’s better than my gen which could use a new click spring.

Gen-BP-16-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-17-Medium.jpg

Insert 7.5 / 10.0

BP insert is good to very good, the red color on the BP is slightly more toward fire engine red while the gen is more cherry red. One of the things I’ve always liked about the gen Coke insert is that the red is deeper than on the Pepsi. The BP insert numbers are a little bolder and have exaggerated serifs. You can see my gen has barely discernible serifs, some gens are more pronounced like the BP. The BP insert numbers are slightly too tall. The 2’s are not as badly misshapen as many aftermarket inserts. At wrist length, it’s hard to notice any difference.

Gen-BP-18-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-19-Medium.jpg

Dial 6.0 / 10.0

BP dial is not very good. In the first pic next to my gen, you can see some differences. The crown is shaped differently, the outer spires are not tall enough. The text is bolder, taller and more condensed on the rep, and there’s less space in the bottom section between the first line and next two lines. BP’s dial is what is called a “sticks” dial, meaning the Roman numeral II after GMT Master does not have any horizontal lines at the tops and bottoms of them. Sticks dials are rare and command premium pricing today. They only appeared on D, Z, and M serials, between 2005 -2007. Models made in those years would not have had a thick case or wide chamfered shoulders like this rep (period correctness issue). In the second picture I show a 2006 gen dial where you can compare the rep with the more common non-sticks dial. Also note the 2006 gen bezel markers, which are thicker with exaggerated serifs and look a lot like the BP. The rep dial markers are typical and have decent green lume.

Gen-BP-20-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-21-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-22-Medium.jpg

Hands 9.5 / 10.0

BP hands are usually great, these are no exception. Half a point off for the GMT hand triangle being slightly different shape (not equilateral), otherwise the hands are excellent.

Gen-BP-23-Medium.jpg

Rehaut 10.0 / 10.0

The five digit GMT Master II never had an engraved rehaut, so it’s really nice to get a rep that way again. Many of these rep models don’t come with clean rehauts anymore and it’s great not to have to sand them down. This rehaut is slightly taller than gen due to the .3mm thicker case, but it’s not a bit wokky and has a beautifully milled and polished finish that is a real pleasure to look at.

Gen-BP-24-Medium.jpg

Datewheel 7.0 / 10.0

BP usually does a better job on their datewheels. Numerals are too thin, this should really be replaced.

Gen-BP-25-Medium.jpg

Crystal 7.5 / 10.0

The crystal is OK but nothing special. It has no LEC, which is fine by me but it’s another period correctness issue. SELs came in 2000, LEC and no lug holes came in 2003, so it should have LEC. The crystal sits lower than my gen and has a nice chamfered edge. The cyclops is average, at least it’s straight. I’ve read that these models won’t take a gen crystal, but there’s always a way to achieve a better solution. You can send crystals to Prof for custom coating, or just get an AR cyclops. I’ll have to see what I can do.

Gen-BP-26-Medium.jpg

Bracelet 6.5 / 10.0

Other than the full gold wrapped, BP bracelets generally are not great. Dead last in a comparison to ARF, Noob, VRF, etc. This one is not good. It’s not cheap and rattly like a DHGate bracelet but it’s just not in the same league as those others. I had to add a link of my own to fit my 7.25” wrist, BP never supplies enough links. The link screws were glued in and quite difficult to remove. I chewed one up and almost two others. I sanded and polished the two to look acceptably newish and replaced the other one. We shouldn’t have to do this on a new watch. Both SELs have micro imperfections, not really visible except in closeups. But it just goes to show the generally poorer quality, I never see this on the others. The biggest annoyance is the gap between the SEL and the first link on both sides is greater than the rest of the link gaps. And the gaps are not even. It’s not a dealbreaker, I might change the bracelet to a jubilee or something but you can bet it won’t be a BP. Once you see the SEL-to-link gap it’s hard not to look for it all the time. I’ve shown a Noob bracelet below for comparison. While the bracelet was off I tried to fit an ARF and a Noob bracelet to the BP and neither one fit. SELs extended past the lugs with the Noob and the fit to case was unacceptable with the ARF. There were no markings at all on the bracelet.

Gen-BP-27-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-28-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-29-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-30-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-31-Medium.jpg

SEL fit 9.5 / 10.0

SEL fitment is excellent on all four lugs.

Gen-BP-35-Medium.jpg

Clasp stampings 8.0 / 10.0

Clasp is correct for this model and the stampings are nicely done. The crown stamp is a little weak, but the inside stampings are very nice. The Clasp code DE6 denotes production month of June 2001. The model stamp of 93250 is incorrect as that is for a later model five digit Submariner clasp. The shorter clasp should have a model stamp of 78790A (with SEL). Don’t ask me why my clasp is a 93150, it even has an extension link. My bracelet is a 93150 also. I’ve seen other GMTs with the Sub bracelet and clasp. It came this way and it was a good thing to have as I only got 10 links with the watch new so the extra length clasp was a help until I started using a rep glidelock on my gen. Heaven!

Gen-BP-32-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-33-Medium.jpg

Clasp edge finishing 4.0 / 10.0

The first time I wore this watch I had to remove it after 20 minutes because it was biting into my wrist. I’m talking breaking the skin sharp. After about 45 minutes of sanding, rounding, and polishing every edge it’s comfortable now. Typical BP, not the first time I’ve had to do this.

Gen-BP-34-Medium.jpg

Some various extra pics, you should be able to tell the difference by now!

Gen-BP-39-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-40-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-42-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-37-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-38-Medium.jpg

Overall rating 8.0 / 10.0

If this seems a little high to you given the number and extent of deviances from gen, I can only say that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. This is a very good rep for $278. At that price there’s room to do a few of the things it needs and have a great classic watch. I bought this for a special project, it is going to look totally different when I’m done, I will post back when it’s complete.

Thanks for reading!

Gen-BP-41-Medium.jpg

Rokerite

MOD EDIT:  Don't be stupid and quote the whole damn thing.  Deleted.

Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to do the comparisons.

• Like 1

hanski

Is that your gen on the timegrapher? 

Mystery Shopper

Excellent review- the differences on the dial really stand out as a tell (swiss made & the printing on the bottom half of the dial) for those who know where to look.

• Like 1

GingerApple
1 hour ago, Rokerite said:

Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to do the comparisons.

@Rokerite you didn't just quote the entire massive review with hundreds of pictures to basically say, "Well done" did you? Oh, you did. :facepalm:

@KJ2020 What an effort sir, thanks so much for taking the time! I'm 99% sure I've never produced a piece of work that good in my entire adult life! I did do a very good school project about 'The Netherlands' once. It was a good ten pages or so of text, photos, drawings etc. I even glued real Dutch coins onto the pages and everything. I got an A+ for that. But since then, I have definitely not got close to producing something that amazing, congrats.

CollieWobbles

Excellent write up, thanks for sharing :Applause:

NCRich

Wonderful review.  Thanks.

Interesting I bought the same rep from BP less than a year ago and got the drilled case.  All the rest appears identical.

Rokerite
2 hours ago, TwoTonesBubba said:

@Rokerite you didn't just quote the entire massive review with hundreds of pictures to basically say, "Well done" did you? Oh, you did. :facepalm:

@KJ2020 What an effort sir, thanks so much for taking the time! I'm 99% sure I've never produced a piece of work that good in my entire adult life! I did do a very good school project about 'The Netherlands' once. It was a good ten pages or so of text, photos, drawings etc. I even glued real Dutch coins onto the pages and everything. I got an A+ for that. But since then, I have definitely not got close to producing something that amazing, congrats.

Yep realised after had posted it, too late then :blush:

kuvarsit

Great job:)

KJ2020 do you have any other gens. I can give you watches for your reviews:) 

will be happy to cooperate 

GingerApple
5 minutes ago, Rokerite said:

Yep realised after had posted it, too late then :blush:

Nah you plonker, that's what the edit function is for.

I see a mod has already done it though, lol. Well, it gives then something to do ;)

kuvarsit

@KJ2020I would be happy to give you one sub ff for free to make this kind of review

this Offer is open for everyone if you have gen watch I will be happy to give one for this kind of analyzation and make review like this. Feel free to contact me. 

Only 4 requirements. 

Must VIP supporter&old rwg forum member 

2. Should have done this type of review before 

3. Must do review! If don’t make the review have to pay for the watch! 

4. Be happy

GingerApple
4 minutes ago, kuvarsit said:

4. Be happy

Fuck, this rules me out.

Nice gesture (again) K!

BADBILLY
9 minutes ago, kuvarsit said:

@KJ2020I would be happy to give you one sub ff for free to make this kind of review

this Offer is open for everyone if you have gen watch I will be happy to give one for this kind of analyzation and make review like this. Feel free to contact me. 

Only 4 requirements. 

4. Be happy

2620ru8.jpg

Mr_B
11 minutes ago, kuvarsit said:

Only 4 requirements. 

4. Be happy

Good offer for some one with access to a gen 

kuvarsit
1 minute ago, Mr_B said:

Good offer for some one with access to a gen 

Such reviews make our forum more popular and active members. So we do our best to have the forum active all the time and the No.1 all the time

KJ2020
7 hours ago, hanski said:

Is that your gen on the timegrapher? 

No it's the BP. I have consistently had good movements in BP watches. This one came running about +11s/d, 0.1 BE. I was OK with the BE, while regulating it that improved also. 

Jasonbaylee

Awesome! Thx KJ2020!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logixa

Nice review KJ

KJ2020
7 hours ago, Mystery Shopper said:

Excellent review- the differences on the dial really stand out as a tell (swiss made & the printing on the bottom half of the dial) for those who know where to look.

Thank you! Yeah the lower printing could definitely stand some tweaking. The Swiss Made is accurate for models 2000 - 2007. The second pic in the dial section shows a 2006 gen dial. Or maybe you were referring to the size and boldness of the text.

Indexes:

Tritium (until 1997): T<25 dial

Luminova (1998/99): Swiss dial

Superluminova (2000-2007): Swiss made dial

KJ2020
2 hours ago, kuvarsit said:

Such reviews make our forum more popular and active members. So we do our best to have the forum active all the time and the No.1 all the time

That's very generous of you bro. I don't have immediate access to any other gens besides my wife's 31mm DJ which is quite pretty but not really suitable for this kind of review or this audience. I'll check around and see if can come up with anything. Thanks for the offer!

KJ2020
5 hours ago, TwoTonesBubba said:

LOL, very funny bro! Appreciate the comments.

SCShrek

Now THAT'S a review! :thumbsup: Awesome job.

Macros are the key.

KJ2020

Thanks everyone for the great responses! I figured since I had the gen and the rep, it was the thing to do. I see a lot of questions being asked about this model, knowing exactly what you're buying makes the choosing easier.

KJ2020
4 hours ago, NCRich said:

Wonderful review.  Thanks.

Interesting I bought the same rep from BP less than a year ago and got the drilled case.  All the rest appears identical.

That's interesting Rich. I actually prefer the lug holes, and the combo of SELs plus lug holes was available on gen from 2000 - 2003. It's a great combo that some people are fervent about. I'm glad my rep didn't come with the holes though as I'm sure I would have tried to enlarge them to 2.0mm, a skill I haven't mastered yet. I don't need another SS paperweight, lol.

semperfi55

Fantastic gen/rep comparison :clap: