Nstirton

Omega 300m Pro Blue Ceramic - Gen vs Rep comparison

Nstirton

Hi all,

I've been a member here for a couple of years I think (mostly luring/learning!) but have gained some great advice on this site. In an effort to give a little something back, I wanted to post a brief comparison of my Omega 300m given I've bene lucky enough to acquire the genuine watch.

Not a technical comparison by any means, but I've included some pics and my thoughts as I feel relevant, having had the rep for around 12 months and the gen for about 3 months. I do hope it's of use to some of you out there - like most people here I have several reps, but for me this is the  ULTIMATE watch and love both versions a lot!

Details of the watch from the TD website:

Name: Seamaster 300m Professional Blue Ceramic Bezel BP Maker Asian ETA 2836-2
Size: 40mm x 14mm Movement: Nickel plated Swiss Eta Asian 2824-2 25 Jewels automatic movement. 
Case: 1:1 made solid 316F stainless steel case
Crystal: scratch-proof sapphire crystal with Double AR coating as genuine
Dial: Blue Superlumed dial and hands. 
Bezel: Blue ceramic bezel

This is the first time I’ve uploaded pics via Picr - since I can’t seem to review the pics once they’ve been uploaded, I’ve numbered them and you can tie up my comments with the pics, below. Gen is always on the LEFT:

[EDIT] Pixr didn't work out, should be ok now though.

1. Top Down

66778281_10156161310526786_2806579798711

This shows how similar the watches are straight away. Of course, if you look close you’ll also start to notice the differences. For me, the colour of the text on the bezel (silver on gen, white on rep) is the big one. The other is the rep’s slight misalignment of the scallops on the bezel with the 10 minute markers.

Otherwise, they’re incredibly similar. The slight colour difference between the two is down to the light - they’re identical in person. The hands, dial, bezel, and movement of the second hand are all identical.

2.  Top Front

66579454_10156161310406786_2306363752523

Different angle looking into the dials. Again, look incredibly similar. The hour hand on the rep appears slightly closer to the dial (had never noticed that until now!). Otherwise, everything to my eye is identical, from the depth of the hour batons, the applied Omega logo, to the finish of the lugs.

3.    Face/bracelet from 6 o’clock

66651478_10156161310066786_5463762780689

Dimensions of the lugs and finish on the lugs are identical. When you get close there is a slightly rougher finishing on the links (on the inside only), otherwise I’d suggest it’s almost impossible to tell them apart.

4. 9 o’clock from above

67079561_10156161310431786_5887286598055

Again, shows the incredible similarities between the two. Very difficult even for a trained eye to tell them apart without studying very closely!

5. 3 o’clock side view

66738166_10156161309891786_3318602280499

A look here from a different angle, and also chance to compare the crowns. The rep appears to be slightly duller, but again, this is just the lighting. Looking into the dial you can see the quality of the saphaire/anti-reflective coating on the rep.

6. Side from 2 o’clock

67402610_10156161309306786_6198664262362

A chance here to see the finishing on the case and the scalloped edges to the bezel. Worth noting here that the movement of the uni-directional bezel is extremely positive/engaging on the rep with no play back/forth, if slightly easier to turn than the gen.

7. Side from 10 o’clock

66765847_10156161309291786_7143333033397

Great to see the similarities between the finishing on the bracelet and the escape valve.

8. Bracelet from underside

67290623_10156161309506786_3592513257161

Finishing on the bracelet is incredibly similar, only give-away is that the gen has slightly deeper engraving on the Omega logo. Ignore the difference in links, that’s just the way I’ve got it set up at the moment. Both have very durable milled clasps and believe it or not the rep has a slightly more positive “click” and fits better than the gen when closed! Slight rough edges on certain parts of the links on the underside as mentioned earlier, not that you’d notice unless comparing.

9. Another view from above

64854317_10156161309576786_5046402275753

See notes from photo 1

Other:

Both have similar power reserves. Rep’s crown can be slightly difficult to engage and screw down sometimes for some reason, but hasn’t hindered my use of it at all. Rep is very accurate, unbelievably as accurate as the rep (i’ve lost my record from the accuracy report app, sorry).

At times when I’ve had somebody comment on the watch whom I don’t know very well, I made the decision to pass it off as a rep - as you can imagine without the gen right next to it, they’ve have no reason to suspect a rep.

Why did I get the gen then? I’d been saving for a while, a few things happened at work and I felt that I’d reward myself. Do I need the rep any more? I’ve not worn it since I got the gen, so may well sell in time.

All in all, I’m incredibly happy with this rep, both in terms of it’s stand alone look/performance, as well as the out-and-out comparison to the gen. So i’d encourage you to buy if you like this watch! Happy to share purchase details (TD on this site).

I'm incredibly lucky and my wife gave me my second favourite watch (Aqua Terra) on our wedding day - I also have that rep, so watch out for a similar comparison soon! If I've missed anything that you'd like to see in that review, or have ideas for a better way to format it, send me a PM!

Edited by Nstirton
where's my pics?!

Genius

Photos not showing here, be interested to see them having also just got the gen

Nstirton

My bad! Should now be fixed.

PS apologies for not cleaning my watches more before taking the pics!

Genius
6 minutes ago, Nstirton said:

My bad! Should now be fixed.

PS apologies for not cleaning my watches more before taking the pics!

No not at all some great photos and great comparison. Really it's the bezel that's the big giveaway everything else looks pretty close

Nstirton

I think I got lucky with the bezel - despite it not being perfect, it seems that regularly they're WAY OFF and even more of a give away. Luck of the draw, I suppose. 

FudgyDocker

Picture 5. The crown cutouts/indents are different shapes.

GenTLe

Uhm, yes, this isn't the best iteration from OMF... And they have been stupid enough to use a short cannon pinion movement (hence the hand is so close to the dial)...

Nstirton

Both good points gents! 

Likely lots more differences too. Despite that, very happy with it. 

Pennywise

to me the pearl/pip on the rep looks better than the gen

Psssniper

Great photos! good angles and sharp focus very much appreciated. I incorrectly read which was which and kept thinking, man that rep is awesome! I do like the bezel on the rep better. White stands out especially on the pearl

I am correct in thinking that your Gen has what we have been referring to as a V1 bracelet? Based on the width of the center links.

I have two on the way from kevin, black/black that has the V2 watch/bracelet and a blue bezel grey dial that has V2 watch with a V1 bracelet

Nstirton
55 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

to me the pearl/pip on the rep looks better than the gen

Agreed, again I think it's due to the white full on the bezel instead of the silver. Makes it stand out more. 

Nstirton
52 minutes ago, Psssniper said:

Great photos! good angles and sharp focus very much appreciated. I incorrectly read which was which and kept thinking, man that rep is awesome! I do like the bezel on the rep better. White stands out especially on the pearl

I am correct in thinking that your Gen has what we have been referring to as a V1 bracelet? Based on the width of the center links.

I have two on the way from kevin, black/black that has the V2 watch/bracelet and a blue bezel grey dial that has V2 watch with a V1 bracelet

Agree re: the white fill on the bezel. The gen looks white in certain lights, but the silver is mostly underwhelming. 

Don't know re: the gen bracelet - obviously it's the older model without the waves (I prefer no wave version) but it's newer stock, as I say only 3 months old. 

Do share pics once you get yours! Rightly or wrongly, even tho I've got a couple of gens now, I likely won't stop buying reps lol 

Edited by Nstirton
Spelling!

Pp4811

Very nice comparison, and lovely pics! 

If you want to sell the rep, please let me know. 

Nstirton

Thanks for the compliments! Of all the reps I've got (6?) this is my favourite. 

May well sell in time, if so I'll put in the M2M section and let you know! 

VMSG

Thank you for the effort and this great writing

Theviking

Super work champ