ed kent

My Dream Watch

ed kent

Hi guys in the next month or so I am intending on making my first substantial Gen watch purchase....

A little over the last 3 years I've lost both my Mum and this christmas my Dad, with the sale of their house looming I am going to take the step to buy the one watch I love and would never have as a rep...

A smurf...thats right I'm going "hard" (literally almost) as our American cousins would say.... now following prices on chronological 24 if I travel usa/eu/Russia et al I can save 3/4 grand on this... am I right in thinking that as we are still (just) in the EU zone I am not eligible to pay import tax etc on an EU watch and if I fly back home with my (second hand) but perfect Smurf in box with matching papers they will congratulate me on my purchase and wish me well while asking for no money then or in the post later?

My steps to ensure I don't get shafted are;

I will take a pair of jewellers scales and compare weight with rolex specs.

Check that all numbers match between watch and paperwork

Buy from a recognised dealer where I can view watch onsite in their shop and check reviews etc on Chrono 24 etc

and look at as many as I can in person ( without wasting to many dealers time) to get a "eye" for the model

Now I was hoping you kind gentlemen could give some advice where im going wrong or other ideas or where im going right?

Cheers all

Ed

splke

Good luck with your search for the grail pal hope you find the right one, sounds like you have been through it off late.

This will be a cracking way of remembering your family and will serve as an heirloom to ensure they are forever remembered.

Automotiveromance

As long as you buy it in the EU and have paid VAT in the country of purchase, you can bring in whatever you like, value wise.

If you buy it outside of the EU, just wear it on your wrist and ship the box to yourself and scan the receipt + papers and upload them, then mail those to yourself as well (separately). 

Also, chronext.com looks promising as well, they have locations all over the world where they’ll send the watch so you can pick up in person. 

Automotiveromance

In addition, buying something like a Smurf, you can expect to get a discount on listed 2nd hand prices. Find some local dealers who get stuff like this in and go visit them. Smurfs are slow movers compared to SS sports models.

ChromosomeYX

Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear about your parents; I hope you're doing better!

Possibly a considered option, but if you're going via Chrono24, why not set it up via an Escrow service so you can verify the watch's authenticity at an AD or a trusted watchmaker and upon verification, release the funds?

If it is a new model Smurf, perhaps visit a Rolex AD and see if they have a piece available for handling so you can get a feel for it?

The new models of submariners being released are frighteningly close for someone who doesn't nitpick over the smaller details. 

ed kent
1 minute ago, ChromosomeYX said:

Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear about your parents; I hope you're doing better!

Possibly a considered option, but if you're going via Chrono24, why not set it up via an Escrow service so you can verify the watch's authenticity at an AD or a trusted watchmaker and upon verification, release the funds?

If it is a new model Smurf, perhaps visit a Rolex AD and see if they have a piece available for handling so you can get a feel for it?

The new models of submariners being released are frighteningly close for someone who doesn't nitpick over the smaller details. 

Absolutely.. a friend who buys gens and knows a couple of dealers said with the gold models there's a few instances of them being not 100% original..crowns removed etc as obviously they command a premium...hence my thought on taking scales?

Absolutely with the reps being so good:-) But the weight can't be faked with gold and id always know that in time plating fades and wears etc

ed kent
33 minutes ago, Automotiveromance said:

In addition, buying something like a Smurf, you can expect to get a discount on listed 2nd hand prices. Find some local dealers who get stuff like this in and go visit them. Smurfs are slow movers compared to SS sports models.

cheers that's worth knowing too..ill certainly test the waters with them and see if I can strike a deal..cash is king so who knows and it cuts down on the risk factor:chewbacca:

40 minutes ago, Automotiveromance said:

As long as you buy it in the EU and have paid VAT in the country of purchase, you can bring in whatever you like, value wise.

If you buy it outside of the EU, just wear it on your wrist and ship the box to yourself and scan the receipt + papers and upload them, then mail those to yourself as well (separately). 

Also, chronext.com looks promising as well, they have locations all over the world where they’ll send the watch so you can pick up in person. 

I was thinking VAT might be nice to not to have to pay.. my thoughts were I could go your non eu route and fly back wearing  etc if it was needed... I hadn't thought of vat

simey83

Sorry to hear that buddy! Really hope you land your grail!! Can’t wait to see the pics :)

Cheers
Simey

Realism

Buy the Seller, not the watch...

I've purchased watches via wire transfer with reliable individuals/ traders successfully via TRF (The Rolex Forums)....

And... on the 116619LB... Here's the historical price trends...

https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=116619LB&brand=rolex&last_days=0

The lowest price listed was on Mar 2019: US$24.9K

Now, the asking price ranges between: $30K to $33K

Again, the finer examples would cost more etc... Usually, if the price is too good to be true, it usually is...

ed kent
12 minutes ago, simey83 said:

Sorry to hear that buddy! Really hope you land your grail!! Can’t wait to see the pics :)

Cheers
Simey

Cheers.....and thank you too all the above for the kind Words :Drinking2:

gooner2826

Sorry to hear about the losses, lovely touch getting a watch mate. Always nice to have something to remember them by.

Side note, worked in an AD through uni. Go in somewhere when it's least busy (first thing in morning or evening in the week). You'd be surprised at what you can wing, cash is king and they have targets to hit. Biggest discount I saw my boss give was £800 off a aqua Terra for a chap with cash on a dead day. We had huge targets to hit, even when it was dead.

Just mention a few competitors that you 'might' go and look at. Keep ooo and ahhhh'ing saying you'd like to buy something today as you're not from the area (so they think they've only got once chance at you) and ask the best price there and then if you paid cash, don't take the first offer, keep pushing and you'll be suprised at the margins they can reduce by. 

ed kent
3 hours ago, Realism said:

Buy the Seller, not the watch...

I've purchased watches via wire transfer with reliable individuals/ traders successfully via TRF (The Rolex Forums)....

And... on the 116619LB... Here's the historical price trends...

https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=116619LB&brand=rolex&last_days=0

The lowest price listed was on Mar 2019: US$24.9K

Now, the asking price ranges between: $30K to $33K

Again, the finer examples would cost more etc... Usually, if the price is too good to be true, it usually is...

Thanks pal...there’s quite a good selection in us and at good prices...in pounds in Europe  prices  I’ve seen original box no papers starting at £17800-18200 and complete sets in from 20500...there’s a smattering of countries Spain Italy Germany etc but I’ve yet to see on Chrono24  a UK watch for less than £24k+ hence my willingness to travel....

Im a member over there and I’ve just been reading a post about a bloke who’s considering getting one...the remarks from owners of them have totally confirmed to me any other watch will make me regret not getting the smurf at some point....

As a kind gentleman remarked earlier about it being “something to remember my folks by and a fantastic   Heirloom” i don’t have children but do you have a god son who is 8 right now...it would be lovely for him to have it one day....it’s gonna keep its value like gold Rolex’s and if he wants to sell it and use it towards a home or his education or first car etc I’d love that..his middle name is Brian after my dad too:tears:

cheers all

Edited by ed kent

RussP

Ed

My condolences on the loss of your parents.

As for the watch, I've purchased from Chrono24, who usually don't release the funds to the seller until you confirm that all's ok with the purchase.

I was delighted with the watch (my avatar), the price and the service.

Can't ask much more!

Automotiveromance

Well it’s very clear you’re getting this for all the right reasons, so get the right watch would be my advice. The right watch being full set, everything correct and nice.

It’ll be a lifetime watch, so don’t get tempted by just price and travel halfway across Europe 4 times only to be disappointed because the condition isn’t what you expected. 

If you’re patient, the right watch will come along. Just make sure you can pull the trigger the moment you run across it. 

GingerApple

My name's Brian and I don't have a God parent. Yet.....

Sorry to hear about your folks and awesome Gen choice!!!

ChromosomeYX
9 hours ago, Automotiveromance said:

Well it’s very clear you’re getting this for all the right reasons, so get the right watch would be my advice. The right watch being full set, everything correct and nice.

It’ll be a lifetime watch, so don’t get tempted by just price and travel halfway across Europe 4 times only to be disappointed because the condition isn’t what you expected. 

If you’re patient, the right watch will come along. Just make sure you can pull the trigger the moment you run across it. 

To be fair, the journey in getting the grail is part of the adventure and experience!

Automotiveromance
9 minutes ago, ChromosomeYX said:

To be fair, the journey in getting the grail is part of the adventure and experience!

Sure, but there’s a limit to it. I’ve done this sort of thing before and after the second one that’s way below expectation, the adventure quickly starts to turn into disappointment. 

What I’m saying is, look for the right sellers and right watches first, then start looking at pricing secondly. Especially since listed prices are hardly ever what something is actually sold for (negotiations! :D ). It’ll make for a better and more memorable experience. 

ed kent
19 hours ago, gooner2826 said:

Sorry to hear about the losses, lovely touch getting a watch mate. Always nice to have something to remember them by.

Side note, worked in an AD through uni. Go in somewhere when it's least busy (first thing in morning or evening in the week). You'd be surprised at what you can wing, cash is king and they have targets to hit. Biggest discount I saw my boss give was £800 off a aqua Terra for a chap with cash on a dead day. We had huge targets to hit, even when it was dead.

Just mention a few competitors that you 'might' go and look at. Keep ooo and ahhhh'ing saying you'd like to buy something today as you're not from the area (so they think they've only got once chance at you) and ask the best price there and then if you paid cash, don't take the first offer, keep pushing and you'll be suprised at the margins they can reduce by. 

Oh that’s very interesting thank you...I’d not considered time/day/month (ironic when I’m looking at buying a watch:Applause:) as a consideration...cheers fella

ed

ed kent
14 hours ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

My name's Brian and I don't have a God parent. Yet.....

Sorry to hear about your folks and awesome Gen choice!!!

Hahahahaha if I was looking to adopt you’d of won on comedy value:pointlaugh:

ed kent
5 hours ago, Automotiveromance said:

Sure, but there’s a limit to it. I’ve done this sort of thing before and after the second one that’s way below expectation, the adventure quickly starts to turn into disappointment. 

What I’m saying is, look for the right sellers and right watches first, then start looking at pricing secondly. Especially since listed prices are hardly ever what something is actually sold for (negotiations! :D ). It’ll make for a better and more memorable experience. 

Cheers and thank you for all the advice....probate should be granted by month end..house sale is waiting on that to complete so August looks like being busy:boobies3:

splke
1 hour ago, ed kent said:

Cheers and thank you for all the advice....probate should be granted by month end..house sale is waiting on that to complete so August looks like being busy:boobies3:

check you pm's Ed 

ed kent
6 hours ago, splke said:

check you pm's Ed 

Done..sorry I don’t get notifications on her I have to check in lol

replied