hanski

AP15400 Comparative Review OMF vs JF

hanski

Did you come here looking for side-by-side pictures of watches? Wondering which one is incrementally closer to the genuine item? Hoping for hi-resolution images zoomed in 100x?
None of that sissy stuff here! Here’s how a real-life, commando-ninja-all-star comparison review is done!
After getting these watches parachuted in from Kevin by a couple of black-ops samurais, I promptly strapped both on barely fitting them over my muscular 10" Popeye wrists. 

First thing I do is stride into an AD, slam my two-watched hand down on the counter and demand to see a 15400 so I can try it on. Baffled that I want to wear three watches on one wrist he hands over the goods. I quickly do a magician’s shuffle and ask him, “Which one is the real one?” Adding, “M*****F****R!?” so he knew I was serious. The sneaky devil picked the one with the price tag – I’ll get him next time. I punch him in the face and I’m out the door.
All that work has me parched and ready to dance – time to motorcycle to the club for a hard-earned bottle of Cristal and test number two. Top buttons be damned, sleeves rolled up to show off these beauties, I hit the dance floor. Flossing away and losing myself to the beats I notice how the blacklights illuminate the dials, the stage lights sparkle on the bezel, and my sweaty arms make them gleam. And then, behold, these two dream-watches combine powers to bring forth twice the babes!
Conclusion, two watches is better than gen! 

AWESOMEREVIEWIMAGE.jpg

• Like 4

hanski

Haha, just kidding - here's the real review:

First off, thank you Kevin for providing the JF AP 15400 v5 for comparison. Your service, shipping, and responses have been extremely helpful.

Your brief review and promotion of the OMF AP 15400 got me, it looked legitimately good. Having considered buying a JF v5 for some time now, it made sense to get both – because why not?

Sadly Kevin didn’t send me a gen 15400 to compare with and as much as I wish I owned a genuine 15400 to compare these two with, I still haven’t found a yacht full of cash in my Christmas stocking. So, for now, you’ll have to accept a comparative review between the OMF and JF v5. You’ll have to reference your own gen or gen-JF comparisons. Also, the JF is a little used, a little scratched, and a little dirty. I’m not really taking that into account in the review – but pardon the dust.

So let’s get right down to it (OMF on the left(top), JF on the right (bottom)):

General Front View: I will note the blue on the OMF dial is darker, bolder, and rich while JF is kind of faded.

AP15400.jpg

Side Profile: I measured and found the following measurement details – and they’re not what I expected…

OM is 11.0mm overall, 10.45mm metal-to-metal, 4.6mm mid-case, and 2.35mm case back.

JF is 11.0mm overall, 10.4mm metal-to-metal, 4.5mm mid-case, and 2.45mm case back.

AP154002.jpg

Case Details Close View: You can see the bezel screws sit flush on the OMF and are recessed on JF. Slightly different lug profiles with JF being a little more slender. You’ll also note the profile of the bezel and case backs, OMF slopes back more gradually. Note on the front this results in slightly less brushed area.

AP154003.jpg

AP154004.jpg

AP154005.jpg

Crown: JF crown seems a bit more crisp along with the logo. But the interior finish of the logo is more refined on OMF. The screw down action on the JF is smooth while the OMF is a little crunchy.

AP154006.jpg

AP154007.jpg

Bracelet: The bracelets are very similar in construction with two notable differences, the end link bars & screws and the logos. The OMF has much cleaner, more refined logos, particularly on the interior portion of the clasp. The exterior “AP” is thinner, probably closer to gen, on the JF but not quite a well finished. I don’t know how a gen bracelets connects to the lugs – can’t really say what is the more true construction.

AP1540010.jpg

AP1540011.jpg

AP1540012.jpg

AP154008.jpg

AP154009.jpg

Dial: Like I said, the OMF dial is a bit more saturated and has much more action/play/reflectivity. It’s a delight to look at this dial. The JF, it’s good, but a little lackluster. Question of closer to gen – I would venture a guess to say OMF but again it’s hard to judge that from internet pictures. 

Amended with more insights from a member at RWI: Legend has it the OMF dial emulates the 2018/2019 J/K series dial (though not 100%) and the JF dial emulates the 2015-2017 H/I dial colors (at least 2-3 different shades in the gen). Both are correct in their own ways. 

AP1540013.jpg

AP1540014.jpg

Dial Details: The AP logo looks a little beefier on the OMF. The AUDEMARS PIGUET text, to my eye, looks a bit better on the JF. I think if the OMF had been an increment bolder it would have been better. Again, the JF AUTOMATIC is better. But OMF does a better job with the SWISS MADE. The hands and sticks are very similar in size but the lume wells are larger on the OMF – a bit too large. JF does a better job. The minute track is much nicer on the OMF, legible, crisp, and well applied. And the dial texture on the OMF is very good – refined, crisp, and dynamic.

AP1540015.jpg

AP1540016.jpg

AP1540017.jpg

AP1540018.jpg

Case Back and Details: I think OMF does a superior job with the text and finishing of the case back. Might be a touch bold but the finish is more close to gen, IMO. I also like the case finish a bit better on the mid-case.

AP1540019.jpg

AP1540020.jpg

AP1540021.jpg

AP1540022.jpg

AP1540030.jpg

AP1540031.jpg

AP1540032.jpg

Movement and Engravings: Both OMF and JF offer the same, pretend, decorated movement with a bunch of fake jewels and fake wheels. They both function identically in the case (time setting, time keeping, date flip, winding, etc). But it comes down to the decoration and engravings. JF does a much better job.

AP1540023.jpg

AP1540024.jpg

AP1540025.jpg

AP1540026.jpg

AP1540027.jpg

AP1540028.jpg

AP1540029.jpg

Lume; It’s brighter on the OMF.

AP1540033.jpg

Date Window Close Up: Here are a handful of various dates for comparison. I didn’t take the time to analyze all the dates – do some work yourself!

AP1540034.jpg

Water Testing: Both immediately started forming bubbles from either the bezel screws or the case back. Neither seems to be OTB water resistant.

AP1540035.jpg

Daylight Glamour Shots: Just for fun and to try to capture some of the dynamism of the dials/finishes. Enjoy!

AP1540036.jpg

AP1540037.jpg

AP1540038.jpg

AP1540039.jpg

AP1540040.jpg

AP1540041.jpg

Final thoughts:

After inspecting these so closely I have to say I’m inclined to experiment with mixing and matching, take the best of each and see if it makes something better – or at least better in my eyes. It’s hard to call one a hands down winner as both have inconsistencies and disappointments. So, sorry, but I can’t wrap this up with a firm recommendation – it’s up to you in the end – what can you live with and what do you like?

@kuvarsit

hanski

I decided to dig into the OMF a little further because of no other reason than I was curious. 

03473737-F492-45-DB-994-F-9-EB7-A4417567

05-F0-E1-EE-8167-4-D93-B92-A-76385-D8-CF

70-FA28-BE-A951-46-F9-8091-5-E90-BAF98-C

79925174-5-B15-4-E45-B7-B7-A7-E45427-D0-

9-F150-CCD-E19-C-4423-84-E7-D33-A3-B475-

A3-AC1-FCD-78-D3-4021-A7-CB-DBCBE08-DE2-

CE019566-C59-F-4-FE9-A42-D-7-CA2-B3314-B

I recall there was some curiosity about decorations vs. the actual movement. Here you can see the oscillating weight has a decorative cover plate hiding the actual screws. And the whole movement is covered by a decorative bridge with two false wheels, a number of false jewels, and false balance bridge, cap jewel, and regulating arms. 

@ElvisFreak

• Like 2

VMSG

First of all, thank you! I've read several 15400 reviews here and on RWI, and this is one of best reviews I've read.

About the swiss made, it seems like OMF is glued with plates and JF is printed on the dial, right?

Jasonbaylee

Hanski thank you for this update comparison n great closed up photography.

The dial itself on OMF is brilliant n the printed text of SWISS MADE rule supreme! The latter is a breaker for anyone spotting a gen from replica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logixa

Great review @hanski ! If you were to choose between the 2, which one would you pick out of the box?

hanski
2 minutes ago, Logixa said:

Great review @hanski ! If you were to choose between the 2, which one would you pick out of the box?

The juries out still. I’m giving them both a whirl of the wrist to consider what I think when they’re out in the wild and not under intense lighting, 100x magnification, and scrutiny. 

FoxWilde

Love the review @hanksi great job!

looks like yours got to you quicker than mine :D

well done. 

Foxindebox

Great review mate! Lovely photos and very in depth :thumbsup2:

Jibuti

Thanks hanski... Still, I liked your 1st version more. 

kuvarsit

thanks @hanski for your job. We appreciate it. Thank you for all your effort and time. I hope you enjoy both of the watches;) 

welcome everyone get the OM watch with special price from our store. 

List price +Free Shipping worldwide! 

408$ only for the watch! 

Dont miss your chance you to get this great piece. Only 3 pieces avaialbe in the hand now. 

Email me before you place order! 

[email protected]

CurioLeo

Thanks for this review Hanski.  You confirmed what I suspected - neither is still a clear winner out of the box and a mix and match is the way to go ( lucky for you, you can do just  that :D).  The wait continues for me. 

paulvillo
Did you come here looking for side-by-side pictures of watches? Wondering which one is incrementally closer to the genuine item? Hoping for hi-resolution images zoomed in 100x?
None of that sissy stuff here! Here’s how a real-life, commando-ninja-all-star comparison review is done!
After getting these watches parachuted in from Kevin by a couple of black-ops samurais, I promptly strapped both on barely fitting them over my muscular 10" Popeye wrists. 
First thing I do is stride into an AD, slam my two-watched hand down on the counter and demand to see a 15400 so I can try it on. Baffled that I want to wear three watches on one wrist he hands over the goods. I quickly do a magician’s shuffle and ask him, “Which one is the real one?” Adding, “M*****F****R!?” so he knew I was serious. The sneaky devil picked the one with the price tag – I’ll get him next time. I punch him in the face and I’m out the door.
All that work has me parched and ready to dance – time to motorcycle to the club for a hard-earned bottle of Cristal and test number two. Top buttons be damned, sleeves rolled up to show off these beauties, I hit the dance floor. Flossing away and losing myself to the beats I notice how the blacklights illuminate the dials, the stage lights sparkle on the bezel, and my sweaty arms make them gleam. And then, behold, these two dream-watches combine powers to bring forth twice the babes!
Conclusion, two watches is better than gen! 
AWESOMEREVIEWIMAGE.jpg

Best 15400 review ever! Period.

chronoss

Now OMF came out with the 15500 series from Baselworld 2019. I am still torn what dial design I prefer. 

What do you guys think?

kuvarsit
12 minutes ago, chronoss said:

Now OMF came out with the 15500 series from Baselworld 2019. I am still torn what dial design I prefer. 

What do you guys think?

Go with blue dial and come to my store get with special price 

TheRealWatchLover
On 21/07/2019 at 16:58, kuvarsit said:

thanks @hanski for your job. We appreciate it. Thank you for all your effort and time. I hope you enjoy both of the watches;) 

welcome everyone get the OM watch with special price from our store. 

List price +Free Shipping worldwide! 

408$ only for the watch! 

Dont miss your chance you to get this great piece. Only 3 pieces avaialbe in the hand now. 

Email me before you place order! 

kuvarsitwatch@gmail.com 

Thank You, Sending an email right now as part of an order I like to make and Thank you @hanski

hanski
4 hours ago, TheRealWatchLover said:

Thank You, Sending an email right now as part of an order I like to make and Thank you @hanski

Maybe you’re emailing the wrong person or confusing me with @kuvarsit

Jasonbaylee
Thank You, Sending an email right now as part of an order I like to make and Thank you [mention=97772]hanski[/mention]

Get the 15400 from Z+F. It is much closer to gen.

Pardon to OP.

runningstrong1280

Thank you so much Hanski. This is by far the best review I've come across anywhere. 

Appreciate all your work to put this together

StayFleaky

Great review! This is the exact watch I’m looking at currently and this is the review I needed to read to help with my choice! 

Phil3007

Very nice review. Thank you very much. The OMF looks amazing. 

alilondon

This is a great review and I agree too, out or the two OMF is nicer in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horace Derwent

Thank you Hanski (even after 2 years!), this required an impressive amount of work!

firasoblast

Great review and photos. I’m on the fence of buying one and wondering how these two compare to 15500 ZF version. Any insight? 

Mc7516

Nice review, it's interesying how they hide the movement with some fake parts