Dr Fun Socks

Breguet 7057 stopped working - Guide to fixing

Dr Fun Socks

So i got the gorgeous breguet 7057 through and all was going well, until a week or two later, at half past 7 it stopped... following much swearing i thought ok whats wrong?

F7-C0-F4-E0-2953-4-D00-AB7-B-3-EDFB05-F8

Forgive any piss poor terminology, im not a watch maker im just a tool maker with a collection of cheap ass watch tools ive picked up over the years as jobs dictate. Hopefully if you have the same problem (dont assume you have the same problem....) and the the balls to give it a go this may help you out!

There was power in the watch, i could both feel it through the crown and luckily it has not one but two power reserve indicators so that was ruled out. Rotating the watch side to side the balance wheel rotated but stopped after a few oscillations. I was thinking there may be a ‘spare’ aka built on a friday afternoon screw lodged somewhere in the gear train. Again luckily you can see straight through the watch. If you are familiar with the watch, the quick set gears on the back are separate to the main gear train on the front. I couldn’t see any screws in the front using a loupe, although you can see through the the gears pretty bloody well i still wasn’t ruling it out. 

Time to open it up! I mean it was broken already, on paper i could make it more broken but it wasn’t running so balls to it, couldn’t get much worse than that! 

9-A5233-D8-65-D5-402-F-B3-B8-F48194-CE02

Problem number one, how the hell do you open this thing up? After a while of trying to unscrew it using various rubber implements i had, I concluded no dice. It had to be a snap back but it felt super glued on! After many failed attempts i came up with the best method, open up a miniature vice so the lugs sit on the vice jaws and press down like a mofo using a case back lever. I have to mention, use as much protective tape or stuff on the jaws of the vice and the tool to stop them marking your case back. Hell use brass things if you have them, just dont damage your watch! 

FB56289-B-3777-49-CD-8-C4-D-CFDFA11-E5-B

So after celebrating with a cheeky vodka, phase two, what the hell is wrong with it? I started by taking the case back off the watch so i could let the power out of the spring. This is done by pushing the lever down (red arrow). In case you dont know you dont want power in the movement if your intending on taking any of the gears out because BANG there goes all your wheels. 

EB6-D0-FFE-5-E7-C-40-CB-A720-0-DF691-F7-

I then tried taking the movement out via the three screws on the back. DONT do this. Its a front loaded movement and its a pain in the ass trying to put screws in whilst holding the watch upside down. Next i popped the front ‘case back’ off using the same method. After much examination i realised despite the balance wheel being free, it only rotated to a certain point on the back stroke. I looked under the wheel and saw the balance jewel wasnt seated in the pallet fork, hence it was bouncing off it rather than sitting in it. So i carefully stuck my smallest screw driver into the jewelled end of the pallet fork and pulled it down to bring the other end towards the jewel on the wheel. I struggled with pics here sorry but ive done my best! 

42-B4-D2-F6-7-EDF-467-D-9-A21-93-A521347

7-D94-CD51-979-F-4163-87-C3-D60-FA887073

C5-FC164-E-0877-4-B9-A-9-DE9-588-D67-EF5

After giving it a little flick, boom it slotted in! A few winds on the crown and its good as new :) when re assembling ensure the little plastic seals are seated well in the case back grooves and use a press to clip it all back together. 

9-DA13-BB9-8823-4-F0-D-88-D6-B2-EFBB8-E1

I appreciate not many people will ever try this and would rather send it to a watch maker, but i thought it might be useful information just to have in the breguet thread. Again im not a watch maker and try this at your own risk but it worked for me :)

12376507-26-C8-41-BC-9-D02-9-A8047-CBAFA

Tools needed:

Watch makers screw drivers

A case back tool

Mini vice (not essential but very useful)

Loupe, i use the weird ass glasses because im lazy and loupes hurt my face after a while. Plus the built in light is useful

A big piece of foam, again optional but its a nice surface to work on and avoids scratches

Protective tape

Case press for re assembly, optional but easy

Stawrberry lemonade Vape (optional but tasty)

Vodka (optional but good to calm the nerves when taking apart things you dont fully understand...)

FD8-C7251-03-A9-427-F-86-E7-6-FC6-A2036-

@semperfi55 i know you’ve got one (it’s complicated, of course you have one!) hopefully you’ll never need it but the info is always good to have!

Rokerite

Not something I would ever dare try :blush: but kudos to you sir,  a little bit of knowledge and the balls to attempt something brought your watch back to life :clap:

semperfi55
21 minutes ago, Drfunsocks said:

After much examination i realised despite the balance wheel being free, it only rotated to a certain point on the back stroke. I looked under the wheel and saw the balance jewel wasnt seated in the pallet fork, hence it was bouncing off it rather than sitting in it. So i carefully stuck my smallest screw driver into the jewelled end of the pallet fork and pulled it down to bring the other end towards the jewel on the wheel. I struggled with pics here sorry but ive done my best! 

:Applause:

Entertaining and educational write up! And here I was pretty smug when I first opened up my 7057 to remove some dust under the crystal :rofl:

Also the vodka tip is certainly relatable!

Well done mate and cheers for the heads up :thumbsup2:

Foxindebox

Great write up! This issue is called overbanking and can occur for a number of reasons. One of the most common is the balance having too much end-shake (ie moves up and down) causing the roller jewel to slip out and stop the balance from rotating fully which locks up the escapement. That is a simplistic explanation but I don’t want to use too much jargon.

Because this is a custom movement it may be that there is too much play in the balance cock causing the balance to move up and down in the jewels. Who knows? The main thing is that you sorted it!! If it happens again, you could remove the balance and re-install. You are less likely to damage the roller jewel or pallet fork that way

Well done mate.

btw, mine will hopefully be on the way soon too! :)

GingerApple

Awesome work! This is why tool maker/engineer types are the most valuable of people and will certainly be spared when I take over the world and follow through with my plans to cull 90% of the population.

Foxindebox
13 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Awesome work! This is why tool maker/engineer types are the most valuable of people and will certainly be spared when I take over the world and follow through with my plans to cull 90% of the population.

The Red Revolution :rofl:

semperfi55
57 minutes ago, Foxindebox said:

play in the balance cock

Hehehehehehehehehehhehehehe

Thanks for the explanation of this scenario. Which case/colour combination are you getting?

Dr Fun Socks
55 minutes ago, Foxindebox said:

Great write up! This issue is called overbanking and can occur for a number of reasons. One of the most common is the balance having too much end-shake (ie moves up and down) causing the roller jewel to slip out and stop the balance from rotating fully which locks up the escapement. That is a simplistic explanation but I don’t want to use too much jargon.

Because this is a custom movement it may be that there is too much play in the balance cock causing the balance to move up and down in the jewels. Who knows? The main thing is that you sorted it!! If it happens again, you could remove the balance and re-install. You are less likely to damage the roller jewel or pallet fork that way

Well done mate.

See i knew there were proper names for all the doohickeys i was messing around with! Removing the balance was my next port of call if this didnt work but i lucked out haha! Enjoy yours man its a great watch!

1 hour ago, semperfi55 said:

:Applause:

Entertaining and educational write up! And here I was pretty smug when I first opened up my 7057 to remove some dust under the crystal :rofl:

Also the vodka tip is certainly relatable!

Well done mate and cheers for the heads up :thumbsup2:

Honestly opening it really was the hardest part! Bloody press fit nonsense! 

17 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

I feel honoured to be part of the 10% that will be saved! 

The_Proctometrist

That is very a impressive repair and beautiful watch!!

Foxindebox
23 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

Hehehehehehehehehehhehehehe

Thanks for the explanation of this scenario. Which case/colour combination are you getting?

Same as this one :)

GenTLe
1 hour ago, Foxindebox said:

Perfect explanation Fox.

And... Is it back in stock???

Foxindebox
2 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Perfect explanation Fox.

And... Is it back in stock???

Cheers mate :thumbsup2:

Mary has managed to source one. Black dial and genuine croc strap.

GenTLe
1 hour ago, Foxindebox said:

Cheers mate :thumbsup2:

Mary has managed to source one. Black dial and genuine croc strap.

Great Mary!!!

samurai dave

Very nice. Good skills and a great result. I normally take stuff apart, break it more and then put it in the cupboard with the other stuff I have wrecked.